Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I was in an aborted takeoff!

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72944
    Emp_Fab said:
    I've never discovered what happens if you get an engine failure between V1 and V2.

Concorde.

A large fuel leak and a fire didn't help either, but they had no choice but to try to take off even with two engines down because they were already past V1.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31085
    Some Aircraft trivia quizzy questions...

1. Which airliner is the most lethal in terms of people killed per people carried?
    2. Is the following statement true- Flying is 10 times safer than driving. Please state why.
    3. Re automatic landing- which was the first plane to have a fully automated landing system?
    4. Which aircrafts are the second and third most lethal in terms of people killed per miles flown?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I can't relax during take off and landing, I seem to be affected by the forces more than most people, especially on take off. When the wheels leave the runway my guts seem to gather around my anus.

I'm glad you're ok, must have been a bit of a rush.
    My V key is broken
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11410
    The thing about aircraft and faults is that very few of us know enough about them to understand the number of things that can go wrong and have no effect. I remember having dinner with a couple of commercial pilots who listed what sort of things can malfunction, from what they were saying a plane could have nothing but the toilets flushing properly and still land safely. (Alcohol may have dimmed the memory of that evening somewhat.)

We understand that cars stay on the ground so that when something goes wrong we generally remain on the ground.

When a plane goes "wrong" my first thought is "what's keeping us up here".

As no-one is playing I'll gove you the answers:

1. Concorde.
    2. Yes, providing measured on miles travelled. If measured in cycles (numbers of journeys) then it's 4 times more dangerous.
    3. Lookheed L1011 Tristar
    4. Comet and Fokker 70/100 series.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was thinking that (1) must be some plane of which only a small number was built!

I briefly worked with some aviation lawyers and it was quite disturbing to hear them correctly guess what fault brought a particular type of plane down.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Concorde always makes me cry.  You watch as they had no choice and were doomed to fail.  The fact that a massive corporate conspiracy surrounds the last years of Concorde, most of which has been validated sends even more shivers down your spine.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    Gassage said:
    1. Concorde.
    The interesting thing is that until the crash, it was the safest in terms of most miles flown for zero fatalities. Which goes to show that when the sample size is small enough, statistics become meaningless.

The truth is that for all its engineering brilliance, it was never really a safe design - just that few enough were ever made that the danger didn't show up for a long time.

I was on the one at East Fortune recently, and it's quite a surprise how rough it looks in many ways. Very obviously 60s technology - and unlike other aircraft of the same era, it was never updated to the same extent. It's tiny inside and not at all luxurious either - the speed was the only prestige factor.

Sambostar said:
    Concorde always makes me cry.  You watch as they had no choice and were doomed to fail.
    It's sad that if they had made the 'wrong' choice by the normal rules and aborted the take-off, they would have overshot the end of the runway and still crashed, but possibly not killing everyone on board and definitely not killing four people in the hotel it hit. Hindsight...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I was very lucky to fly on Concorde around 20 times. My ex's sister was CSD on it for a number of years and we got buddies and ID90 fares. Used to cost us about £400 to US. Then of course 911 fucked all that for a time.

So many memories- the sign that told you when you got to Mach 1 and 2 and the noise when it got out of restricted airspace. And the Concorde lounge and its amazing crustless cucumber sarnies.

We bought 4 double rows of seats when it was decommissioned and they are still in my ex's reception area.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15769
    only been in one aborted landing, was pretty much last minute as well, in fact I think some of the passengers had almost got to passport control. Still, all safe in the end

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    I'll be honest OP, I would have shat myself.
    Never been in an aborted landing but have been in a really scary one. Landing at Pisa having flown over the Alps in terrible weather, severe turbulence most of the way, and on final approach when we were about fifty feet above the end of the runway with the wings going up and down in crosswinds we hit an air pocket and dropped about forty feet, then about a second later hit the ground very hard. Not funny at all, I threw up out of a mixture of having been feeling ill the whole way and sheer fright - luckily I already had the bag out because of feeling bad beforehand. There was a lot of screaming in the cabin - even the captain sounded shaky on the intercom when he apologised for the landing.

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15769

worst thing (flying wise) I've experienced is a combat helicopter insertion (ooer missus) at night, where you're happily flying along at whatever hundred feet then they suddenly drop the whirly bird to the deck, halting the descent right at the last minute. By crackey that gives some weird sensations.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• vizviz Frets: 10762
    My mate was on a 20 seater from somewhere in India to somewhere in Russia, and the co-pilot came out to use the lavatory at the back, and then the driver dude came out to say hello to the passengers and the cabin door clicked shut behind him so he and the co-pilot had to bash their way back into the cockpit with an axe while the passengers looked on.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well, nobody screamed during my adventure so it can't have been that bad! Instead everyone did that anticipatory stillness that us mammals do when shit might be about to go down.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1599
    I aways got on planes like busses, flew at least once a month. Had an aborted landing in the high winds a Christmas and have hated flying ever sense. Especially flying out of City Airport. Also ever sense my Mrs has been pregnant I hated flying even more, not sure if that's a new sense of responsibility :) anyone else have that?

Did read a couple of books as it occurred to me I knew nothing about how it all works. Ask the Pilot and the BA book. Have to say they helped a bit, still not keen on flying but fingers crossed I'll get over it.

The books if anyones intrested.

• Antique_GuitarsAntique_Guitars Frets: 1167
    edited November 2014
    Emp_Fab;400316" said:
    Crazy

Old Is Gold
  • Bloody hell, what a nightmare experience. I've become more nervous about Air Travel as I've gotten older. I would not want to be in that situation.

All's well though.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Had a high speed landing after they had to dump the fuel when the flaps would not come out. Fucking terrified.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24613
    edited November 2014
    Gassage said:
    As no-one is playing I'll gove you the answers:

1. Concorde.
    2. Yes, providing measured on miles travelled. If measured in cycles (numbers of journeys) then it's 4 times more dangerous.
    3. Lookheed L1011 Tristar
    4. Comet and Fokker 70/100 series.
    I challenge your number 3 answer.  I say it was the Hawker Siddeley Trident with it's pioneering Autoland system.

Edit: I stand corrected, it was actually the French SE210 Caravelle that was first certified for CAT III auto-landings.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."