Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

I was in an aborted takeoff!

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4948
    Emp_Fab said:

Edit: I stand corrected, it was actually the French SE210 Caravelle that was first certified for CAT III auto-landings.
    and it was a lovely-looking aircraft... just looked somehow well-balanced if you know what I mean.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've been in an aborted landing, just off the deck and then full thrust and a swift climb. There was another plane that was too far along the taxiway or something. At the time it was pretty exciting. Afterwards I thought, well that was pretty close.
    Use Your Brian
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited November 2014
    Evilmags said:
    Had a high speed landing after they had to dump the fuel when the flaps would not come out. Fucking terrified.

I bet all the Mk7 white Transits with false registrations were all speeding to keep up.

I was in an aborted landing once as there was a water buffalo on the airstrip.  Like something out of Tales of the Gold Monkey.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited November 2014
    Sambostar said:
    Evilmags said:
    Had a high speed landing after they had to dump the fuel when the flaps would not come out. Fucking terrified.

I bet all the Mk7 white Transits with false registrations were all speeding to keep up.

I was in an aborted landing once as there was a water buffalo on the airstrip.  Like something out of Tales of the Gold Monkey.

Probably all those immigrants bringing them in under cover of darkness through the Channel Tunnel.

In 1982 we didn't have these problems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmkVCADfdOU

• I think the answer to question three is the Fieseler Fi 103.

On a more serious note, never had an aborted landing or take off, but had a more troubling one many years ago on a Lufthansa 737.  Ten minutes out of Frankfurtfuel fuel and hydraulic fluid started streaming out of the port engine (I was in a seat by the wing), in huge volumes.  Crew came back, did the shocked colour change bit,  then the "it's Ok, just condesation from the clouds" pacification answer.

On landing we were chased by the fire trucks and parked just off the runway with the trucks spraying foam on the ground around us.  Strangely we didn't evacuate, but waited for the air stairs and bus.  The fuel was still gushing from the nacelle as the bus took us away.

Not sure why, but it didn't affect my feelings towards flying at all.

Also experienced an in flight shut down on a Dash 8 (no fuss at all) and a flat tyre on one of those too.

Worst experience was being one of only two passengers on a plane.  The cabin crew insisted we sit in the assigned seats for take off.  The other chap was sat right beside me in the aisle seat, a twenty plus stone Austrian, who didn't fit in the chair.  I think the crew though it was funny (as a regular I knew them well).
  • Why can't I edit to fix my blatant typos?
    Because you probably work for the DVLA.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ah well, I feel better from reading in these comments that flying is significantly more dangerous and potentially terrifying than I had assumed. :D
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15769
    flying's perfectly safe, it's how the no longer flying occurs that determines long term health.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Rather like my "unplanned dismounts" when mountain biking.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.