Is the Sennheiser E906 the mic of choice in its price range?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• stylesforfreestylesforfree Frets: 216
    Wanted to add: I was in a similar situation although I have spent too much on microphones and now I own a lot.

Whats your setup? What's your amp and guitar?

I did ask a question on another forum about a month ago and received the following suggestions over the course of a few weeks:
    Sennheiser 421 or 441 
    Beyer M201 or M88, M69
    Neumann CMV563+M7
    Shure 545
    Electrovoice RE20
    Heil PR30 & PR40

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7942
    edited July 5
    Wanted to add: I was in a similar situation although I have spent too much on microphones and now I own a lot.

I did ask a question on another forum about a month ago and received the following suggestions over the course of a few weeks:
    Sennheiser 421 or 441 
    Beyer M201 or M88, M69
    Neumann CMV563+M7
    Shure 545
    Electrovoice RE20
    Heil PR30 & PR40

Mad isn't it!

My comments
    421 yeah nice, esp blended with a 57, standard hard rock mic setup. The latest iteration of this fashionable 2 mic setup is a Royer 121 & 57

441 too pricey for the job and very directional 
    M201 sure, nice.
    M88, no experience but it's used w bass cabs & kick generally, same with an re20, and an re20 sounds a bit flat, prefer a 421 as more character and bite.
    Neumann hahaha, overkill, smug recommendation.
    iirc Shure 545 is the "unidyne" precursor to the sm57, and so what, hard to find and one I heard sucked.
    Heils, never used but their small dynamics can be terribly bright.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34069

Sennheiser 421 or 441 
    Beyer M201 or M88, M69
    Neumann CMV563+M7
    Shure 545
    Electrovoice RE20
    Heil PR30 & PR40

Mad isn't it!

My comments
    421 yeah nice, esp blended with a 57, standard hard rock mic setup. The latest iteration of this fashionable 2 mic setup is a Royer 121 & 57

M201 sure, nice.
    M88, no experience but it's used w bass cabs & kick generally, same with an re20, and an re20 sounds a bit flat, prefer a 421 as more character and bite.
    iirc Shure 545 is the "unidyne" precursor to the sm57, and so what, hard to find and one O heard sucked.

My issue with the 441 is proximity effect.
    I prefer it on snare to guitar.
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2441
    The Neumann CMV is a bit of a tryhard choice, and I'd be surprised if it can take the level on loud amps, but condenser mics can sound really good on amps. Love a U87 in front of a speaker. 

• stylesforfreestylesforfree Frets: 216

Sennheiser 421 or 441 
    Beyer M201 or M88, M69
    Neumann CMV563+M7
    Shure 545
    Electrovoice RE20
    Heil PR30 & PR40

Mad isn't it!

My comments

M201 sure, nice.
    iirc Shure 545 is the "unidyne" precursor to the sm57, and so what, hard to find and one O heard sucked.

Holy wow, that Neumann is EXPENSIVE. Bloody hell! haha. I think i'll stick to my electrovoice 635a and SE electronics X1 ribbon mic.

I preferred the RE20 over the M21 but I prefer the 635a over both of them so I ended up selling them both.

The M88 definitely has a big proximity effect but takes well to low end EQ cuts, very thick sounding mic for sure but alas, I returned mine as I preferred the sound of the M160. 

Those older shure unidiyne mics are pretty gritty, I dig the sound of them haha (shitty is pretty, right?) They're are all over ebay and reverb during certain times of the year. Sound better on my Supro amps than on my Fenders though.

As with anything, depending how it's used, most mics can be setup to sound bad, I have gone through a ridiculous number of trial and error tests and a lot of different microphones over the past few months.

What amps are you miking and with which guitars? 

I have found that my Tele on bridge pickup into a Supro Amulet with the bass dimed gives some incredible sounds.