PSA If you hate adverts and watch You Tube, Opera browser blocks the ads

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1289
    Remember the days when Youtube wasn't owned by Google and everything was free?  Good times.

Now it's all about maximising ad revenue.  You'd think that Google makes so much money pre and even post tax that they don't need to hassle their users for paid subscriptions, or even need to get other companies' money for ad space on YT.  It's just fking greed, is what it is. 

The worst thing is - the number of ads will only increase going forward.  Just wait and see.      
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6271
    Great thread here, thanks for starting it. I've now installed and really like Vivaldi. It's like the old days when sites weren't full of bloated shite!
    nice one
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11440
    If you see ads on YouTube do you actually remember what they are for are are you waiting, oblivious, until you can click "skip ads"?

I wonder how effective they really are?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16396
    scrumhalf said:
    If you see ads on YouTube do you actually remember what they are for are are you waiting, oblivious, until you can click "skip ads"?

But that's true of most advertising yet it's still a massive business. I suspect that waiting to skip possibly makes you pay more attention if anything. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2393
    scrumhalf said:

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2393

I wonder about their effectiveness too. I guess the marketeers have their stats and it must produce returns.

If the BBC get the license fee pulled there'll be nowhere left to be entertained without ads. I cannot bear them. 
  • LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1289
    scrumhalf said:

Not effective on me one bit.  When an ad comes on I look away from the screen, don't listen to it, and only look again when the Skid ad button comes on.

In fact, it makes me want to avoid their product even more because it genuinely feels like I'm being nagged to do/buy something over and over and over and over again.