PSA If you hate adverts and watch You Tube, Opera browser blocks the ads

What's Hot

Comments

• oh_pollooh_pollo Frets: 887
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BodBod Frets: 1345
    YouTube Premium here too via VPN, I watch it on my phone, TV, iPad etc.  no need to get Spotify or Apple Music because it comes with YouTube music.
    You put me onto this a couple of years ago, I subscribed via Argentina and it's £1.40 a month for my whole family to access.  I had to use YT at work the other day and it was a strong reminder that I could never be without Premium again.

Thanks btw ;)
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7430
    Bod said:
    YouTube Premium here too via VPN, I watch it on my phone, TV, iPad etc.  no need to get Spotify or Apple Music because it comes with YouTube music.
    You put me onto this a couple of years ago, I subscribed via Argentina and it's £1.40 a month for my whole family to access.  I had to use YT at work the other day and it was a strong reminder that I could never be without Premium again.

Thanks btw ;)
    How did you get your family on there? I bought the family version from Turkey, but when I send invites to family it doesn't work for them. I tried it with Turkey VPN on when they click the links but still doesn't work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12052
    Bod said:

Thanks btw ;)
    My brother in law's sub expired in March and he has been without it until I visited them last weekend where I got them onto a new country.  Turkey now no longer works for new subscribers, as is Argentina or India.  YouTube is clamping down on the VPN hack too but if you watch a lot of YT like I do, it's worth the money, especially when it is like £2 a month.  There is a lot of value there. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14008
    JezWynd said:
    AdGuard for Safari here. Absolutely marvellous to the extent I hate using the internet without it
    I've been having a bit of bother with AdGuard on some websites since the latest updates, some websites hang and won't load with AdGuard running.

Also, the SkyGo app for Mac hangs during the adverts with AdGuard running lately
    Have you checked that all the filters (in prefs) are enabled? I had a problem where some sites. (inc. Andertons) would not load but since enabling a couple of filters that were unchecked, sites load fine.
    Thanks - Just checked and a coupe of the filter sets weren't enabled.Will try that and see how it goes.

DefaultM said:
    Bod said:

Thanks btw ;)
    How did you get your family on there? I bought the family version from Turkey, but when I send invites to family it doesn't work for them. I tried it with Turkey VPN on when they click the links but still doesn't work.
    I can't remember, sorry.  It was a couple of years ago now.
  • StavrosStavros Frets: 352
    @RaymondLin can you play YouTube Music in the car?
    I love my brick
  • strumjoughlampsstrumjoughlamps Frets: 3362
    AdGuard for Safari here. Absolutely marvellous to the extent I hate using the internet without it
    Firefox Focus for me, 100% free
    edited June 1
    Stavros said:
    @RaymondLin can you play YouTube Music in the car?
    Yes, Siri even recognise it when I say “hey siri, play YouTube Music” or “hey siri, play Dancer in the Dark on YouTube music”
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6244
    Switch625 said:
    I find Youtube in Opera runs really slowly, to the point where the video is barely watchable. Anybody got a decent adblocker that work with Firefox?
    I use Opera on my Android tablet and it works great on YouTube, no adverts and the content streams perfectly.
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 331
    Bod said:

Thanks btw ;)
    My brother in law's sub expired in March and he has been without it until I visited them last weekend where I got them onto a new country.  Turkey now no longer works for new subscribers, as is Argentina or India.  YouTube is clamping down on the VPN hack too but if you watch a lot of YT like I do, it's worth the money, especially when it is like £2 a month.  There is a lot of value there. 

Rats those were the countries I was going to try. Any idea what will work? I have Wise so can try to pay in local currency. 
  • victorludorumvictorludorum Frets: 1069
    Switch625 said:
    I find Youtube in Opera runs really slowly, to the point where the video is barely watchable. Anybody got a decent adblocker that work with Firefox?
    Ublock
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10554
    YT family Premium here, cost £16 for 5 of us in different households. 

You still get in video adverts though if the creator has a sponsor. These are generally for VPN's or other sites like Nebular but it's a bit irritating when you are already paying premium. 

As @RaymondLin said though with YT Music included it's a no brainer. It works great and has more content than Spotify 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8149
    Grunfeld said:
    Google's Chrome browser is based on Chromium, and so is Opera, and so is Microsoft Edge.  Chromium dominates web browsers.
    As of next week, 03 June, Google Chrome will be deprecating the manifest V2 extensions which allow the current lot of ad-blockers to work.  
    Manifest V3 will be different but will ad-blockers work?  Dunno.  I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't given that Google prefers we do not block adverts.  
    Will it mean that the other Chromium browsers like Opera will have to adopt V3?  Dunno.  Let's see.  PS I wouldn't know V2 or V3 if they battered me on the head -- my only interest is, Do I have to do anything to avoid seeing ads?

Firefox gets some stick but it's not that slow and it's not based on Chromium.  UBlock Origin is my ad blocker of choice.

At work (NHS) I have to use Microsoft Edge with no ad block and trying to give patients information from YouTube is unworkable.  There are so many adverts that I simply haven't got enough time to assess the videos I would like to share.  Horrible experience.

Wisdom awarded!

By all accounts, all these Chromium based browsers are going to go to town on adblockers, particularly YouTube ad blockers.  You might find certain plugins much less effective. So, I might have to move to Firefox. 

I use DuckduckGo from time to time, but it doesn’t support plugins. 
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 410
    As an aside, I had a free spotify trial, downloaded all the things I already owned that I hadn't already digitised, about 8 albums as both mp3 and Flac long before it seems that they no longer allowed that.

I use my spotify free account weekly via firefox with ghostery as an add on. It works well to just stream stuff, the adverts are an occasional ten seconds of silence during a full album.

youtube always has adverts for me, but I mainly stare at that on my phone which is dying anyway. Samsung S7...
    edited June 3
    pt22 said:
    Bod said:

Thanks btw

Rats those were the countries I was going to try. Any idea what will work? I have Wise so can try to pay in local currency. 
    It's not about using Wise to pay in local currency, I use Monzo and my Brother in law use a HSBC current account card.  If the VPN trick works, the payment page will ask you for your bank details.

There are basically 2 obstacles in the VPN trick.

Obstacle 1

When you turn on VPN and pick a country, you then go to YT premium page.  It either let you or it block you completely.

Obstacle 2

If it let you, then you go to payment and fill in your card details, it will list the price in the local currency, if it lists UK £ sterling then it is not working.  Sometimes it will ask you for a local address....I put in the British Embassy in that country.

Then you click through and buy.

It either works, or it doesn't.  If it doesn't then you can try a different card.  Once you are through all your cards and none of them work, then you start with a different country.  You just have to pick and see, what works for me might not work for you and what worked for someone else might not work for me.  

Have another page or app open with the exchange rate and do the price check before buying.  Anything under £3 a month is good at the moment.
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5787
    +1 for AdGuard on Safari.

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

edited June 21
    I'm seeing reports of Google cancelling YT Premium subs that were taken out via VPN...hmmm

https://9to5google.com/2024/06/20/youtube-premium-vpn/
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16396
    My son pays for YouTube premium and that's him, his partner, me and my other son. Not sure if MrsTheWeary uses it but she doesn't really watch YouTube. I have YouTube or YouTube music on hours a day often and YouTube with ads is bloody awful now. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8149
    edited June 21
    Duplicated my earlier comment 
    d’oh!