Foo Fighters

What's Hot
frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
Is there anything that doesn't sound like a mini-version of Chris Cornell screaming his lungs out?

Like a slow tune or something?
A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3964
    In your honour disc 2 would be the most obvious suggestion.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    edited November 2014
    Try this for starters

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Walking After You
    See You
    Aurora
    Next Year
  • stimpsonslostsonstimpsonslostson Frets: 5422
    edited November 2014
    Skin & Bones is a live acoustic album. It's pretty gentle.

I always think they're at their best doing "anthemic" stuff (Walk, Rosemary, learn to fly, Everlong etc), the quiet stuff bores me & the shouty stuff grates after a while.
  • Walking After You
    See You
    Aurora
    Next Year
    Their best song imo. See also Razor from disc 2 of In Your Honor. Not a bad album that - would've been a great single rather than double.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    I've never seen what the fuss is about.

They're terrible.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I was under the impression that you liked them @Lixarto :P 

And my affections for the Foos grew. It wasn't an instant "I heard them and I loved them" thing. I had to buy The Colour & the Shape at a car boot sale before I decided that I liked them. Then "In Your Honor" and "Wasting Light" albums cemented that.

It was a 'sorta just happened eventually' thing before I got into QOTSA, Nirvana (well their heavy stuff anyway), Alice in Chains, Soundgarden, old Green Day, Blink 182/AVA, etc etc too. 

Sometimes things just happen ;)
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • Lixarto said:

They're terrible.

I think they're terrible and Nirvana were massively over rated. However, I keep watching stuff with Dave Grohl in on the telly box because I like his enthusiasm for stuff. That song in Sonic Highways about Chicago blues is just awful but I like the fact he wanted to do it.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Yes, Nirvana were shit as well.

I don't like Grohl either. He's like a shit Stephen King.

I quite like some of Courtney Love's songs.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lixarto said:
    I quite like some of Courtney Love's songs.
    I'm sorry. We will never be friends.
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3964
    Loving the Foo hate. Funny as fuck.
  • Don't like the Foos (and, yes, Nirvana are massively overrated) but I took my ex to see them and have to say they are deserving of their reputation as a great live band. 2 hours, song after song after song, no dicking about between songs (Metallica, I'm looking at YOU) and a cover of Holiday In Cambodia that puzzled all the hip young rock kiddies who had no idea what it was.

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    edited November 2014
    Havent heard much foo fighters and didnt really have an opinion on Dave Grohl. Untill i saw him on a Beatles tribute concert and he seemed like a really nice chap and i now like him!!. ps Im not sure if he likes me, time will tell i suppose.
  • EricTheWeary;402973" said:
    Lixarto said:

They're terrible.

I think they're terrible and Nirvana were massively over rated.
    Agreed.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73055
    I like Dave Grohl from what I've seen of him in interviews and I think he's one of the best ever rock drummers.

But I find the Foo Fighters massively boring and over-rated, and I can't understand why someone who is that good a drummer should choose to be a rather average* guitarist and singer and have someone else play drums in his band.

Nirvana I think are over-rated as a band but still one of the most important bands ever, if that makes sense. Kind of a bit like the 'did punk matter' argument. Whether they were actually good is somewhat beside the point, it was the effect they had on everyone else.

(*He's better than me of course. But that's not the point.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    edited November 2014
    For the record, I like Nirvana - just not all the time and frankly, like Them Crooked Vultures, I think it'd be lost in a mire if it wasn't for his great drumming.

I thought I'd give Foo Fighters a go as I'd not listened to anythign for a very long time so picked up In Your Honour and apart from a few tracks on side 1 I struggled, so much so I didn't finish it and went onto some Mike Keneally (one of my staples - so a step backwards in terms of listening to new stuff).

Maybe my tone "mini Chris Cornell" sent this thread into the route it's taken, I was really hoping to find a track where I thought his vocals jumped out or conveyed a range of emotions, that'd explain (as ICBM put it) why he got someone else drumming for him.

I love No Way Back - but I think it shines more when bunged in a playlist of different music :) 
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • I really wanna see them when they come and play in Australia next year.
    And I can't wait to get my hands on Sonic Highways. It's the little gap (aside from Skin & Bones) in my Foos collection.
  • frankus said:

I love No Way Back - but I think it shines more when bunged in a playlist of different music :) 
    I'd agree, whenever certain Foos songs come up on my iPod Shuffle I think "this is great" and find myself singing along. I rarely want to listen to a whole album of theirs.
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2453
    ICBM said:

Nirvana I think are over-rated as a band but still one of the most important bands ever, if that makes sense. Kind of a bit like the 'did punk matter' argument. Whether they were actually good is somewhat beside the point, it was the effect they had on everyone else.

I still struggle with this concept a bit, even 20+ years after the event.  Angry looking young men in the right place at the right time, and to say they were solely responsible for killing the somewhat broad brush genre of '80s/hair metal' is stretching things.

They didn't help, but the bombast and excess of that colourful decade had all but died out by 1989 anyway so the soundtrack that accompanied it was bound to pass by the wayside too, just like the '60s and '70s.

Kids that didn't like Poison and Whitesnake already hated them by the time Nirvana came along and popularised what was ultimately to be a short lived, miserable genre of rock, They already had The Pixies, Black Flag, Sonic Youth etc to listen to, and none of them dressed like David Coverdale or wore their hair like him even before Kurt turned up looking like a scruffy student with a shit out of tune guitar he could hardly play.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16382
    edited November 2014
    That Nirvana killed hair metal is often trotted out, quite often by those who were in hair metal bands, I'm sure it is only part of the picture. But, close to irrelevant in the UK, whatever we were listening to in the late 80's very little of it was hair metal IIRC.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.