Foo Fighters

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I was reading an article this morning about the Tornados and the end of instrumental pop is blamed on The Beatles. So nothing's new under the sun ;)

I think people want a change and to be honest, I've heard 80s hair metal (not much) and I wanted a change very soon!

But a lot of people describe guitarists like Eric Johnson, Greg Koch, TJ Helmerich as post-shred. And ascribe it's construction as being more focussed on melody and rhythm which were prefered in the Grunge era. So if it were true the renaissance that followed was informed by grunge and is musically more mature than 80s shred (IMO).

A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24868
    ICBM said:

Nirvana I think are over-rated as a band but still one of the most important bands ever, if that makes sense. Kind of a bit like the 'did punk matter' argument. Whether they were actually good is somewhat beside the point, it was the effect they had on everyone else.

Same as Jimi Hendrix, Jaco Pastorious etc etc.

Hugely important to music history and in inspiring innovation, but in themselves 
    massively over-rated.

Grohl is a superb drummer and even worse, appears to be a nice human being. It's almost like the banality of the Foo Fighters is his punishment.

It would not surprise me if future music historians mention the Foos in the same breath as Coldplay.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    I'd call myself a fan but making an honest assessment of their back catalogue there's an awful lot of middling albums propped up by a couple of killer songs. The Colour And The Shape was a massive influence in my formative years as a musician but IMO they didn't make another consistently good-from-start-to-finish album until Wasting Light. Live show has always been awesome though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike257 said:
    I'd call myself a fan but making an honest assessment of their back catalogue there's an awful lot of middling albums propped up by a couple of killer songs. The Colour And The Shape was a massive influence in my formative years as a musician but IMO they didn't make another consistently good-from-start-to-finish album until Wasting Light. Live show has always been awesome though.
    Wisdom for that. I love Nothing Left To Lose but it's not as good as Colour and the Shape, and IYH and One By One only have a couple of great songs each. Wasting Light is absolutely brilliant though.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Ehhh... they're just boring young-dad music.
  • I think if I had to rate FF albums favourite to least favourite I'd put them something like this...

1) Wasting Light
    2) In Your Honor
    3) Sonic Highways
    4) One By One
    5) The Colour and the Shape
    6) There Is Nothing Left To Lose
    7) Echoes Silence Patience and Grace
    8) Foo Fighters
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/