EQ Pedals - Switchable/Programmable?

What's Hot
NomadNomad Frets: 549
edited November 2014 in FX

I'm looking for suggestions for an EQ pedal. I'm currently using a Pearl 9-band graphic (directly after overdrive/distortion). I quite like the GEQ way of setting up the sound, but don't mind something more akin to a typical 3-band amp EQ with presence.

My current amp setup is a stereo valve hi-fi amp into two 1x12 V30 cabs. With no EQ, it sounds pretty middly, and quite different from my Laney Cub 10 - with the latter, I hardly ever used the GEQ, but it's on all the time with the stereo setup. The stereo amp setup might change eventually to an amp, or preamp, that has typical amp EQ included. Or it might not, especially if there are options out there that would allow me to have at least two sets of EQ settings (eg, heavily scooped, and not so scooped).

Is there anything out there that's programmable, or at least offers switching between two distinct sounds (not including 'off')?

Alternatively, is it feasible to build a single ECC83 3-band tone control box, with presence, that has (near-)silent switching between two tone stacks?

Nomad
Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72723
    Boss EQ-20

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4744
    edited November 2014
    I don't recommend the Boss EQ20. I too liked the idea of a programmable eq but I had one and sold it because unlike the analogue GE7 which is a veritable industry standard the EQ20 is a digital unit that sucks tone and kills playing feel.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • joeyowen said:

the other guitarist in my band has one of them. Looks pretty.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24682
    I liked the EQ-20.

thought it was very good. i didn't get any tone suck.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17699
    tFB Trader
    The Source Audio one looks fancy. 

I think Drew had one.
    Voxman said:
    I don't recommend the Boss EQ20. I too liked the idea of a programmable eq but I had one and sold it because unlike the analogue GE7 which is a veritable industry standard the EQ20 is a digital unit that sucks tone and kills playing feel.
    A friend of mine has one and doesn't find that… although were you using it in an FX loop? That can cause problems with A/D/A conversion.

The GE-7 is certainly an industry standard but requires the chips upgrading to cure the horrendous hiss it produces, which for some unfathomable reason Boss have never done.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

fretmeister;401931" said:
    I liked the EQ-20.

thought it was very good. i didn't get any tone suck.
    Try an A B with a GE7 and you'll hear and feel the difference. I was using it in the fx loop of my Vox Valvetronix and really liked its design and functionality but it just sucked tone. It was a real shame especially as I got it new for a great price.

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    Voxman said:
    Try an A B with a GE7 and you'll hear and feel the difference. I was using it in the fx loop of my Vox Valvetronix and really liked its design and functionality but it just sucked tone. It was a real shame especially as I got it new for a great price.

Digital pedals are well-known for doing that with some FX loops - it's because the A/D/A conversion causes slight latency, which then interacts with the dry signal in the amp if there's even the smallest leakage past the loop. I had the same problem with my Line6 DL-4 in an FX loop, even with the loop modded to series - in front of the amp it was fine, in the loop it killed the tone and to some extent the dynamics. I only noticed how bad it was when I ditched it for other reasons and went back to two Boss delays.

I do like the GE-7 but that damned hiss drives me nuts! That one is better in a loop than in front of the amp distortion, where it's more or less unusable unless modded.

• ICBM;401994" said:
    Voxman said:

Digital pedals are well-known for doing that with some FX loops - it's because the A/D/A conversion causes slight latency, which then interacts with the dry signal in the amp if there's even the smallest leakage past the loop. I had the same problem with my Line6 DL-4 in an FX loop, even with the loop modded to series - in front of the amp it was fine, in the loop it killed the tone and to some extent the dynamics. I only noticed how bad it was when I ditched it for other reasons and went back to two Boss delays.

I do like the GE-7 but that damned hiss drives me nuts! That one is better in a loop than in front of the amp distortion, where it's more or less unusable unless modded.
    There is a @thorpy modded ge7 in the classifieds right now.

I kinda want it, but I really want a noise box more. :D I might get it if I sell my Nova Repeater and possibly my son of Hyde, but that thing is boss sounding for heavy rhythm...
    edited November 2014
    Interesting stuff ICBM...thanks, that certainly explains it. And I agree re GE7 noise. I'd like to get a modded one when I'm a bit more flush.