Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Worst Pedal Ever?

What's Hot
therose789therose789 Frets: 467
After recently finding my old boss metal zone, i plugged it in and remembered just how awful the thing was! 

Just for a bit of fun (please play nice) what is the worst pedal(s) you have ever played? - forgive me if this has already been done! 

For me its 
Metal Zone mt2 
Sound Tank tube screamer 
Danelectro fab tone distortion

With an ad campaign like this you would rightly have very high expectations:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I loved those soundtank ads in the US guitar mags back when I was first learning. 

Never tried one though...but I would have been disappointed that they don't actually have caterpillar tracks :-(
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I can verify that there certainly weren't built like tanks! They were probably the equivalent of the plasticy behringer pedals! @not_the_dj ;
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4625
    edited November 2014
    I was given a Rocktek Distortion by my last singer .. that was (and still is to be fair) very weak
  • Rocktec compressor. Terrible pedal.
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Rocktek delay pedal...
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • therose789;26798" said:
    After recently finding my old boss metal zone, i plugged it in and remembered just how awful the thing was! 

Just for a bit of fun (please play nice) what is the worst pedal(s) you have ever played? - forgive me if this has already been done! 

For me its Metal Zone mt2 Sound Tank tube screamer Danelectro fab tone distortion

With an ad campaign like this you would rightly have very high expectations:
    I liked the sound of the soundtank tubescreamer. It was a tubescreamer sound :)

Worst pedal I've tried is probably the Ibanez cf-7 I got for free.

But it remains in use because there is one sound in it that nothing else does and that makes it useful. :)

Most pedals are good at at least one thing... Sort of.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72948
    Devi Ever anything.

Some of the concepts seemed good but none of the ones I've seen actually worked properly, because they were built like a DIY project by someone who didn't know the first thing about building things. Or maybe they were working properly but sounded shit.. it was hard to tell.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3518
    Wow, those soundtank ads take me back. 
    This was absolute crap.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2043

Ashton CR30 Chorus pedal.  It's modulation was soooo subtle you #kind of had to add a bit of waviness in your head while you played. 

I have to say I also moved a Vox Satchurator on pretty quickly as I found it nasty and I was never keen on the Boss Blues Driver thingy, but I know others seem to rate it quite highly.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• GassageGassage Frets: 31087
    Bear with me- hype per reality then the El Cap by a mile. Sorry to offend.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4212
    Controversial here, but the old TS9 tubescreamer , never really did it for me. harsh raspy and gutless
  • EHX Holy Stain - it certainly was a stain but more of the shit kind.
  • Wow, those soundtank ads take me back. 
    This was absolute crap.
    I had one of these in about 1993 Id completely erased from my mind. A quick google tells me it was all analogue, and was a TS808 inside....
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Gassage;401450" said:
    Bear with me- hype per reality then the El Cap by a mile. Sorry to offend.
    I agree, but that's not actually the fault of the pedal, more down to TGP jizzbombz.

Personally, I thought the Proco BRat was woeful.

• Fredric Effects pocket weasel by a country mile.

Turned it on, it raped my ears, turned it off and sold it as fast as I could
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EHX Octave Multiplexer - It may well multiplex your octaves...but it doesnt track your notes any time soon. Next to useless.
  • GeorgieGeorgie Frets: 19
    edited November 2014

I had a go with a metal zone - only as I didn't have an overdrive pedal of my own and wanted to hear a difference - funny little pedal that could only be used for one job!! So I polished it, box it up and used it as a part ex for an overdrive pedal!!! lol

I don't like any pedals that make the guitar sound unmusical and more sci fi - like phasers and flangers.

• ForgeForge Frets: 431
    Fredric Effects pocket weasel by a country mile.

Turned it on, it raped my ears, turned it off and sold it as fast as I could

I don't think you're supposed to keep your weasel in your pocket...maybe Richard Gere would know...
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431
    Death by Audio fuzz war for me, I never got one good tone out of that thing and it was so bright I did not need a tooth polish for ages. TBH it may have been that it didn't like EL84 amps.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Georgie;401566" said:
    don't like any pedals that make the guitar sound unmusical and more sci fi - like phasers and flangers.

Have you tried an MXR Phase90 on a slow setting? Neither of mine (Script or Block logo'd) go beyond 50%.....

Same with my MXR Microflanger.

Just enough to give a nice sound, not too much that it sounds like StarWarsTrek blasting through your amp.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)