Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Worst Pedal Ever?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Georgie;401566" said:
    I had a go with a metal zone - only as I didn't have an overdrive pedal of my own and wanted to hear a difference - funny little pedal that could only be used for one job!! So I polished it, box it up and used it as a part ex for an overdrive pedal!!! lolI don't like any pedals that make the guitar sound unmusical and more sci fi - like phasers and flangers.
    Agreed re: flanger. Just nasty! Even the good sounding ones, I don't get it...

And if you play country, modulation effects are not really a key ingredient so much as spanky cleans and overdrive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24782
    One of these

More usually referred to as a Boss Bass Overdrive
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Big Muff.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4625
    edited November 2014
    Forge said:
    Death by Audio fuzz war for me, I never got one good tone out of that thing and it was so bright I did not need a tooth polish for ages. TBH it may have been that it didn't like EL84 amps.
    I was looking at/listening to fuzz demo's over the weekend and i thought the fuzz war sounded rather nice, i trust you though boyo..... I like the EQD Terminal best of all the fuzzes on pewtube
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31087
    Oh yeah- when I was waiting for my long lamented sold TES to be built, I bought a Skrydstrup DDL Delay pedal (a cool £1000 new, I paid £400 for it off Charlie Chandler- it's a rehoused DD5 effectively)

It was utter rubbish. Fortunately I eBayed it straight away and got £890 back on it. We used it in the Gigrig Great Delay shoot out and it was sheee-ite. Just total digi-pants.

I really don't the Skrydstrupt stuff, except their BF2 buffer which is very good.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Carldboro Suzz

First pedal I ever bought.

Is it a fuzz? Is it a distortion? Is it an overdrive? Who knows? It just gave the guitar a vaguely metallic buzz.

Quickly replaced it with a Tokai Distortion pedal which was much more effective.
  • Gassage said:
    Oh yeah- when I was waiting for my long lamented sold TES to be built, I bought a Skrydstrup DDL Delay pedal (a cool £1000 new, I paid £400 for it off Charlie Chandler- it's a rehoused DD5 effectively)

It was utter rubbish. Fortunately I eBayed it straight away and got £890 back on it. We used it in the Gigrig Great Delay shoot out and it was sheee-ite. Just total digi-pants.

I really don't the Skrydstrupt stuff, except their BF2 buffer which is very good.
    Jesus! Never heard of it, what does it proclaim to do to the DD5?

I'm assuming it does change quite a lot of the DD5 to charge that much.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    um?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    After recently finding my old boss metal zone, i plugged it in and remembered just how awful the thing was! 

Just for a bit of fun (please play nice) what is the worst pedal(s) you have ever played? - forgive me if this has already been done! 

For me its 
    Metal Zone mt2 
    Sound Tank tube screamer 
    Danelectro fab tone distortion

With an ad campaign like this you would rightly have very high expectations:

those were my first three pedals! The sound tank was ok, a bit gritty for a ts type but it sounded punky through a park g25r. The metalzone was all the gain and a lot of fun, so much low end and so much scoop available. The fab tone (metal cased big one) is still one of my favourite distortions, loads of gain and a powerful eq, sounded monster fat through my jcm900!

The worst pedal for me was the suhr riot, for an expensive pedal I found it very bland. It did nothing that my £30 bbe am64 couldn't do, very over rated and really nothing special.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31087
    Gassage said:

Jesus! Never heard of it, what does it proclaim to do to the DD5?

I'm assuming it does change quite a lot of the DD5 to charge that much.
    It has a bleed filter, that's about it.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1629
    Gassage said:
    Bear with me- hype per reality then the El Cap by a mile. Sorry to offend.
    love my El Cap. Compares v favourably with the tape settings on my Echolution 2 and Alter Egos

• JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1629
    Oh, and the Blackstar HT Dual is the worst pedal I've ever owned

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    JohnPerry said:
    Oh, and the Blackstar HT Dual is the worst pedal I've ever owned
    I
    I agree, I hate the ht dual. A couple of the bands I used to tech for had them and they were forever breaking or causing noise issues.
  • Ehx Screaming Bird for me. It had the unique ability to make any rig of any quality, even the very best guitar amps you could thing of, sound like absolute tinny trebly shite
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Carldboro Suzz

First pedal I ever bought.

Is it a fuzz? Is it a distortion? Is it an overdrive? Who knows? It just gave the guitar a vaguely metallic buzz.

That was the first pedal one of my friends bought as well - I got a Boss OD-1 and at the time we both agreed he had the better deal by far! Sounded quite fat in a Fuzz Face kind of way as I recall - not harsh at all, smooth and creamy!
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Arion Metal Master
    imagine an HM2 but with more high end fizz and a cheaper case
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1332
    BOSS NS2 and....my boogie express footswitch, both were crap and wish I never had them under my foot.
  • IanSavageIanSavage Frets: 1319
    Rocktec Metal Worker (I think it was called), my first pedal purchase; I gave it away and I think I still ripped the guy off.
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    IanSavage said:
    Rocktec Metal Worker (I think it was called), my first pedal purchase; I gave it away and I think I still ripped the guy off.
    Have a LOL on me.

I can get at least something out of most pedals (yep, even the MT-2 !) but I borrowed a Rocktec pedal called the "Metal Master" IIRC and had to concede defeat. Really bad in every way. 

The owner didn't look best pleased when I returned it but I insisted   ;))

• dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    edited November 2014
    Almost forgot about a pedal sitting in my pedal box, it's an Aria chorus pedal and I think it can, without doubt, claim to be the worst stomper ever created. This thing would be bombed out of the National Union of Paperweights, the sound beggars belief, it is so shallow, metallic and watery.

And by the way, the donor of this lump to my 'loan' collection refused to take it back point blank despite my insistence. The bastard    :((