Ampless live rig…. Pedals & Dream 65 or Helix????

What's Hot
Here’s a straw poll question as I’m still a newbie to this… if you were to perform gigs ampless & straight to PA with in-ears for monitoring would you choose either a clean pedal platform like a UAFX Dream 65 (or similar) with a “normal” pedalboard supplying all effects and drives, or go the Helix route that does everything, but takes a lot of setting up/learning. Interested in your opinions 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I'd say it depends what you're already most familiar with and how you normally like to set up. If your current set up is pedals into a clean Fender-flavoured amp (and you're happy with it) then transitioning to the pedals+Dream 65 will seem intuitive and an absolute doddle. 

Helixes are wonderful things, but probably overkill unless you want/need to have dozens of different amp models to play with.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28098
    Or option 3: use a ToneX ONE with your existing pedalboard.

In truth, that or the Helix will definitely do the job. The Helix will give you more options, like having outputs with and without cab blocks on the end, but it really depends what you think you're going to need.
    <space for hire>
  • RolandRoland Frets: 9130
    It depends on personal circumstance. What I like about things like Helix (I use Fractal) is the integrated switching. In a covers band context, with no gaps between songs, I can have FX and amp configurations per song, and step on a pedal labelled “Intro” without having to set tap tempo and think about amp and FX settings and lighting changes. In a blues band, with consistent amp sounds and limited use of FX I’d do things differently.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SupportactSupportact Frets: 1306
    I'd probably go for my current pedal board with an amp sim tacked on the end. The reasons for this are 1. I don't need loads of sounds/different amp models/effects. 2. I'm not great with software and menus, 3. I fear change. (I was told this last one by my manager at a former job so I assume it's right.)
  • jamesguitarjamesguitar Frets: 190
    Here’s a straw poll question as I’m still a newbie to this… if you were to perform gigs ampless & straight to PA with in-ears for monitoring would you choose either a clean pedal platform like a UAFX Dream 65 (or similar) with a “normal” pedalboard supplying all effects and drives, or go the Helix route that does everything, but takes a lot of setting up/learning. Interested in your opinions 

I still have and use both platforms for different things. 

The Dream 65 has the best straight clean tone (for my taste) - I used it on my 80’s show for a while and got some of the best U2 etc tones. I still take it out for some simple jazz and soul gigs I do with a quartet. I run The Dude or a tubescreamer before it if I need overdrive and it’s a great sounding rig that’s easy to take around.

The HX Stomp for me covers so many things. Polyphonic pitch shifting, acoustic sim (just need to EQ it after), tons of modulation options etc. I’ve set up a ton of genre specific patches without amp or cab sims and then I’ve got some patches with amp sims for when I need it to go direct. It’s more a Swiss Army knife pedal for me, but can get some solid amp tones too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23195
    I would go Helix because I'm addicted to stereo. As most people are not dicks about stereo like me...

I'm going HX effects into Tonex One and then buying a second Tonex One so I can do full stereo and thus revel in my dickishness. 

• koss59koss59 Frets: 888
    Revv D-20 if you enjoy using your pedals.

I love UA gear but thought the Dream 65 was pretty crap apart from the spring sound. 
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • willowillo Frets: 429
    I would go Helix for snapshots, headphone jack and USB audio interface capability. I cross shopped with the UA and am happy I've made the right choice for me. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10105
    HX Stomp for me, and even better with the excellent IR2.
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 392
    HX Stomp for me, and even better with the excellent IR2.
    Interesting. You prefer the IR-2 over the Stomp? 

Do you use the stock Boss IRs, or did you load your own?

In you opinion then it’s clearly that much better than using the existing amp sim functionality in the Stomp? 
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3131
    I'd thought about getting the IR-2 to free up some blocks. I'm using my HX Stomp into an amp so the direct versions of my patches have to be a bit paired down to fit the amps and speakers in. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 5007
    I've been through this over the last 12 months. Anything any of us can suggest to you will work after a fashion and get the job done. It's what you personally like to work with and hear that counts. 

I don't like modellers, IRs or the workflow associated with them. It's just me - I can't get the best out of them and lose the will to live. I've tried, but it's not for me. 

I've focused on a standard pedalboard and something to replace plugging in to an amp and cab. I've ended up somewhere I didn't expect and currently have no plans to change or continue my search. I've found I'm OK with profiling/capture technology like Tonex and Kemper. 

Tonex pedal for the amp/cab using it primarily as a clean pedal platform with a high degree of headroom. Effects I'd normally have in the amp FX loop are after the Tonex. Boost/overdrive effects go before (obv) but I'm careful about slamming the input of the Tonex and overdriving the AD convertor into clipping. Having said that, it takes a clean boost and changes tonality when you use it in a nice musical way. 
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2374
    edited June 18
    I've been down the rabbit hole with this..

I've had Helix, LT, Stomp,  Boss GT1000, GX100, GT1000core,  Strymon Iridium, Tonex one, Captor x, Humboldt simplifier, Tech 21 (Flyrig & Blonde 2), and others which I've forgotten about.

In conclusion, they'll all do the job.   Top of the pops for me at the moment is the Helix LT or Full floor.  They have the balance between easy to use, sounding good and does everything well to a good standard whilst not costing the earth set just right.

I've gone for full floor as I do have a need for 10 stomps in a preset but that's just cos I do need a lot of sounds.. The Helix LT is a really good pedal, and does everything you need very very well.
    .  I'm selling one at a bargainous price as well if you are interested, but that is not why I'd recommend one at the moment.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    I'm using a Helix, the simplicity for live use is key for me. Tap dancing with multiple pedals is a pain.
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2521
    On the tap dancing thing, one of the things I enjoy about a gig, is being able to select sounds on the fly. I don’t use the same pedals in the same places every gig. I like to mix it up a bit. 

When I had an FM9 (I’ll have another very soon) I had it set up like a pedalboard. Everything on on/off switches. I did use scenes for one song, but it was annoying having to make sure the core sounds in my song specific presets where I’d switch scenes were always in line with my kitchen sink main gigging preset that I’d stay on for 97% of the night. 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34318
    I put a Tonex on my regular board.
    It is fantastic.
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 304
    octatonic said:
    It is fantastic.
    @octatonic Do you need to use a DI box with the Tonex to connect to a PA? Also, how does it compare to a Kemper? My reason for asking is that I’m considering getting a Kemper Player which I understand can plug direct into a PA. Apologies, as I don’t want to derail the thread but thought that the OP would need to know that some possible solutions will need a DI box. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28098
    CarpeDiem said:
    octatonic said:
    It is fantastic.
    @octatonic Do you need to use a DI box with the Tonex to connect to a PA? Also, how does it compare to a Kemper? My reason for asking is that I’m considering getting a Kemper Player which I understand can plug direct into a PA. Apologies, as I don’t want to derail the thread but thought that the OP would need to know that some possible solutions will need a DI box. 
    It would definitely be advisable, just to avoid any ground issues. Also, it means you can just present an XLR socket to the sound guy (they get confused by jack sockets).
    <space for hire>
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 5007
    CarpeDiem said:
    octatonic said:
    It is fantastic.
    The Tonex Pedal left and right output sockets are 1/4in mono and unbalanced. I don't own a Tonex One, but believe the output socket is stereo and unbalanced. So using a DI box is a good idea. 
  • birtnerbirtner Frets: 70
    I was switching between an acs1 and the Uafx lion with my regular pedal board but now I’ve got both on the board and switch between the two with an ab looper. Prefer the modular approach in case something fails 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom