What are your hobbies?

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27894
    RiftAmps said:

@Riftamps the Mazda is awesome but what we all really want to see is closeups of the Nova behind you D  
    It's an unbelievably well-prepared car and the owner, Jason Wood, is the nicest guy you'd ever meet. I had to chase him down for the win at Silverstone and he can certainly pedal a FWD Hot Hatch!

Fun fact, it's not a GTE chassis but a standard car converted to GTE spec to make it eligible for his championship. Genuine GTEs are both too rare and expensive to risk turning into a race car that can be ploughed into a barrier and written off at any minute.

Nice - they're great little cars. My Dad has rallied them pretty religiously since about 1995 and still swears by them for their class. For rallying he doesn't actually like the GTE and SRI - the slightly softer ones are usually better and more chuckable, not to mention WAY cheaper! 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimcitoTimcito Frets: 938
    I like cooking a lot.

I also act, although that crosses into a side-gig for work because I get paid for what I do - quite modestly, I hasten to add!  
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10060
    Aside from musical activities (all of which are quite strictly solo) I think mine would be mostly drawing (on paper and on digital software), and generally being in nice countryside places be it walking, canoeing, cycling (though i'm rubbish at that).

Oher hobbies have come and gone - bread making (i kept eating it all), reading (i read leases all day for my job so need to relax my eyes afterwards), swimming (hard to find anywhere with enough capacity to enable me to swim without idiots), poetry (realised it was dull).
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1247
    Music (guitars) covers the artistic and creative hobbies nicely (plus you probably don't want another hobby where you're making decisions about what to fund, i.e. new pedal or new camera lens) - but if you find you're stuck in a rut you may want to consider something more physically challenging. 

My other non-music thing is Wing Chun kung fu.  I started it when I was still in my 20's, and I'm 53 now.  It's less stretchy and jumpy than other martial arts, so it's kinder to my older bones.  Wouldn't be without either guitar or WC.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7899
    I really don't have a great deal of time for hobbies or pastimes while I'm very busy working full-time as a middle-aged gigolo for older women, but I'm finding it much more difficult these days to maintain enough stamina for a full session without having to stop several times for a cup or tea and a fag and a bit of Voltarol on my hips and knees, so I'm seriously considering giving it up.

I would like to have more time to go out walking and exploring new places on foot with my camera.  There's so many interesting places within easy reach of me that I have either never visited or it's been a very long time since I last did.  I'm soon to retire and I will have to try and improve my fitness as well as start relaxing mentally and enjoying life, so walking regularly may be just the answer for me.  The funny thing is that I don't have a whole lot of patience for arts and crafts kinds of hobbies, yet I really enjoy tinkering with and repairing guitars.  There's only so much of that you can do in a day unless it's your job. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24906
    I forgot about cooking.

Particularly low and slow BBQ.

Perfect excuse to sit in the garden with a beer and tend the fire. A lovely bit of peace and quiet.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10060
    Cooking for me is an interesting one - it's a sort of enforced hobby. The wife works harder than I do in her day job so cooking always falls to me and I have to try and find any joy from it that I can despite not really enjoying cooking all the bastard time. I like eating, so cooking is just the equivalent of getting the train to a gig or something I suppose
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12628
    I read lots, listen to vinyl (& accidentally collect it), take photos with an old 35mm SLR, build cheap pedal kits from time to time, lift weights, box (2 sessions if I can: 1 bag, 1 sparring), write sometimes, spend a lot of time hanging out hugging my dog & doing walks with her.

what I wish my hobbies were:
    Motorcycles, martial arts and sex.

But does highly greaten the risk of broken bones, knackered joints, STD's and death. :)
    I bet the sex is the most expensive!
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1138
    Music and guitars is my main one, and I'm lucky enough its also a job for me too.

I'm also a big football fan (Arsenal supporter) and regularly contribute to the dedicated thread on here.

I'm also into tech stuff, cooking and travel, but not as avidly as football and music. 
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14879
    edited June 20 tFB Trader
    Music and guitars - I know it's my job but also my hobby

Sport - Less taking part now as I'm 64 - But played quite a few sports in the past and until not so recently - So more of an arm chair fan now as against taking part 

Dog and all the walking that goes with it

Read a lot - Always have 2 books on the go at any time - 1 fiction and 1 non fiction 

Daughter has just left a big gap that needs filling - She is 22 now and only just left home to start a job in London - But prior to that, even when she was at uni, dad's taxi firm was always required and I loved spending time with her and ferrying her about

Have a passing interest in many things, but the above 3 are my main interests outside work - But even work is more of a hobby than a job
  • giomaielegiomaiele Frets: 21
    munckee said:
    I read lots, listen to vinyl (& accidentally collect it), take photos with an old 35mm SLR, build cheap pedal kits from time to time, lift weights, box (2 sessions if I can: 1 bag, 1 sparring), write sometimes, spend a lot of time hanging out hugging my dog & doing walks with her.

But does highly greaten the risk of broken bones, knackered joints, STD's and death. :)
    All this is cracking me up 
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 1050
    munckee said:

Well that would depend on my current relationship status...which appears to fluctuate a fair bit
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • jasonbone75jasonbone75 Frets: 681
    What are hobbies? Oh and what is sex again I appear to have forgotten...
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12562
    Music and guitars

Churches and church architecture (perhaps a bit odd for an atheist...)

Time with family and dogs (trite but true)

Films

Company + wine

I used to read loads but haven't had the time recently.  Something I plan to rectify when I retire.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4346
    VimFuego said:
    outside of music I guess my hobbies are mostly reading, hiking and stalking the streets cleansing them of the filth, corruption and depravity of modern society. 
    You are Paul Kersey 
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4346

Shrews said:
    Horse racing. Trying to fathom out the unfathomable from a huge array of stats is the ultimate puzzle for me.

Going to the races. I have now been to 57 of GB's 60 racecourses and will finish the other three this year, plus maybe the 2 in NI.

I used to be big into horse racing many many years ago . I love to read my dick Francis books too 
    his son felix writes them now . 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12634
    I play guitar...

I like music and collect physical media.

Love a good movie.

I like sci-fi and military history, and the odd thriller novel, starting to read the Reacher books.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31262
    edited June 20
    Play cricket
    Coach rugby (elite Level 4 coach)
    Write on rugby and get paid for it
    Dogs
    Cars
    Travel
    Scuba
    BDSM

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2960
    Other than guitar, just bikes really. Mountain, bmx or road/gravel. In the summer it kind of takes over from guitar as my "main" thing, then it switches back to guitar when the nights draw in and it gets all cold and wet again. 
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1863
    RiftAmps said:

@Riftamps the Mazda is awesome but what we all really want to see is closeups of the Nova behind you D  
    It's an unbelievably well-prepared car and the owner, Jason Wood, is the nicest guy you'd ever meet. I had to chase him down for the win at Silverstone and he can certainly pedal a FWD Hot Hatch!

Fun fact, it's not a GTE chassis but a standard car converted to GTE spec to make it eligible for his championship. Genuine GTEs are both too rare and expensive to risk turning into a race car that can be ploughed into a barrier and written off at any minute.

Nice - they're great little cars. My Dad has rallied them pretty religiously since about 1995 and still swears by them for their class. For rallying he doesn't actually like the GTE and SRI - the slightly softer ones are usually better and more chuckable, not to mention WAY cheaper! 
    In a timely manner, this just popped up on my youtube subscription list:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom