Famous Musicians Who've Unwisely Added Talentless Relatives To Their Lineup

What's Hot
OffsetOffset Frets: 12524
As threatened.

Where to start... how's about Yoko Ono?

Feel free to add 'talented relatives' too, and I'll offer up Teddy Thompson who I've seen with his dad on a couple of occasions.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SupportactSupportact Frets: 1115
    Yoko Ono is a famous musician who unwisely added a talentless relative to her line up? Controversial.  
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • roundthebendroundthebend Frets: 1159
    This is an example of the opposite..... Liam Gallagher asking Noel to join Oasis.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31157
    Excellent thread!

Deacon Frey
    Sharon Finn playing bass with Neil
    Polly Sampson
    Jonnie van Zant

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7221
    Jools Holland initially had his brother Jeffrey playing bass in Squeeze until they found out he was a  bit crap. Fair play to Jeff though who went on to find fame as Spike in Hi-de-Hi.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2280
    Linda McCartney wasn't great on keyboards. But yoko was good at knitting on top of the pops.
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4708
    Ozzy Osborn adding his daughter
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12524
    In which bucket do the Zappa progeny belong?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tony99 said:
    Jools Holland initially had his brother Jeffrey playing bass in Squeeze until they found out he was a  bit crap. Fair play to Jeff though who went on to find fame as Spike in Hi-de-Hi.
    You're getting confused.  He presented Rainbow.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7055
    Linda McCartney?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33989
    Offset said:
    2 good, 2 not.
  • JEMJEM Frets: 147
    Talentless is probably not fair but Peter Gabriel replaced the excellent Paula Cole with his daughter, Melanie for the Growing Up tour. She's by no means a bad singer but is not a patch on Cole.
    Violet Grohl?  I suspect most will be favourably disposed towards her (including me) partly because she can sing, but principally because her dad is such a top guy.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7808
    Is Jon Smolt any good?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12521
    Leon Hendrix didn’t play with his more famous brother but has been trading off the family connection for years. He’s an extremely average guitarist, and even that’s probably flattering him hugely. 
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3332
    Cherie Blair? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16420
    I remember Tina Turner sacking her son as the bassist in her band. Although (if I have the right son) he did give up the bass, turn to acting and get a part in her biopic so I guess it ended well. 

octatonic said:
    Offset said:
    2 good, 2 not.
    Dweezil does seem to be a gloriously wonderful human being.It's probably rather dated now but he was on Celebrity Wife swap USA (I think that's right) and seemed to be the nicest person you could imagine as well as being a successful actor and a rather dextrous guitarist. If it turns out he eats babies on the full moon I don't care. 

I read a book by Moon which I enjoyed. Ahmet does appear to be a prize dick. I have no idea about Diva - acting and making expensive knitwear apparently. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2649
    It's the "unwisely" criterion that may make it difficult to think of examples.  Yoko is a good example because there's a good argument that she made Lennon's work worse. Linda on other hand was confined to stuff where she probably didn't do much actual harm even if she didn't do much good either.  And I suspect that would be more typical of cases where less talented relatives have been shoehorned in.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27833
    Offset said:
    Violet Grohl?  I suspect most will be favourably disposed towards her (including me) partly because she can sing, but principally because her dad is such a top guy.
    Nah, she’s not in the band and only guested on a couple of very poignant songs on a very appropriate record to have her involved with. She’s got a good vibe so I’m board provided she’s not going to be showing up belting Everlong every night. :)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73093
    It's the "unwisely" criterion that may make it difficult to think of examples.  Yoko is a good example because there's a good argument that she made Lennon's work worse.
    I think the opposite - Yoko is a much better musician than most people who only associate her with her early shrieking noise-art realise - she can actually sing conventionally if she wants to, not brilliant but she can certainly pitch her voice well enough. I think she inspired Lennon to be much more creative and take more chances than he might have otherwise... and she co-wrote Imagine, although wasn't credited for it originally.

Linda on other hand was confined to stuff where she probably didn't do much actual harm even if she didn't do much good either.  And I suspect that would be more typical of cases where less talented relatives have been shoehorned in.
    Linda is also unfairly maligned. She wasn't a great musician but she was by no means talentless - I really don't think Paul would have had her in the band if she had been.

Gassage said:

Deacon Frey
    Sharon Finn playing bass with Neil
    Polly Sampson
    Jonnie van Zant
    Got to agree with those though - I'm not familiar with Jonnie van Zandt, but you're right enough about the others that I don't think I'll bother being ;).

Does Nancy Sinatra count?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DominicDominic Frets: 16296
    edited June 21
    Lieutent Pigeon had a scorching number1 with 'Mouldy old Dough ' ....one of the band had their old mum on the Piano.
    I don't think she brought a lot to the Baking Table !