Pedals That Can Imitate A Bass Player

What's Hot
Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 105
in FX
Me and a drummer mate are going to have a heavy rock/stoner jam, to keep things simple I was going to look into getting a pedal I could use to imitate a bass player, by splitting my guitar signal into a bass amp.

I'm aware of the Boss OC-3 being okay(ish) for this sort of thing, but was wondering if there was anything else out there that might do a better job.

Could the Digitech Trio+ work if I turn the Drum control all the way down? Any other recommendations would be great.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1314
    The Trio+ will obviously create it's own bassline (as opposed to you creating one yourself) but if that's okay with you then yes it's good. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27856
    Boss OC5 is great. Also Digitech drop or Ricochet 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6185
    The Digitech Ricochet does a very clean, quite natural sounding bass using its octave down setting. It’s basically a Whammy minus the treadle.
    edited June 22
    OC5 is what I use. Has that great feature where you can set it to only apply the effect up to a certain frequency. So i use mine to only sub octave the low E and A strings. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29208
    Over the top, but a Roland VG-88 lets you octave any strings you want. You need a hex pickup though.

I wonder about having piezos on just the E and A with their own output, and running those through a POG or similar.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13053
    For the price of any of these pedals you'll probably find a squier affinity on gumtree and it will be better than all of them... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2277
    OC5 is what I use. Has that great feature where you can set it to only apply the effect up to a certain frequency. So i use mine to only sub octave the low E and A strings. 
    I use an OC-5 for this as well, it’s perfect for it. I don’t think any other octave pedal can only apply the effect to specific strings/frequencies.
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 919
    To truly imitate a bass player you`ll need the following pedals:

EHX `The Short Strap`
    Boss `Miss the Bridge` - (I believe the Waza version will allow you to choose to miss the bridge or the longer second verse)
    Way Huge `Single man`

Apart from this its just a baggy pair of jeans and an inappropriate long hair cut I think?

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 298
    The Digitech Trio+ gives you the option of a simple or more complex bass part, but you have to pre-record the rhythm part in advance so it knows what to play bass to. I think it’s a good pedal.

Of the other pedals suggested already, I’ve only got experience of the Digitech Drop, which I rate highly. It will do a convincing bass part. I’m not sure how it will work if it’s just you and a drummer, eg are you looking to split your signal (like Mike Kerr does in Royal Blood)? If so, I suspect you may need to play less notes simultaneously to avoid it getting too mushy. In any case, it sounds like a fun experiment!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27856
    For the price of any of these pedals you'll probably find a squier affinity on gumtree and it will be better than all of them... 
    Despite having already replied above I do full agree with this. 

Also you need to play like a bassist, which is very different to guitar unless you’re just playing root notes
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24897
    Have you thought about getting a bassist?

There are some around who avoid meeting the Rule 2 criteria.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yea I play bass and into heavy rock/stoner stuff :) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jca74jca74 Frets: 376
    Is there a pedal which will argue with the drummer?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 931

Pretty tricky to play whilst also playing guitar though.

• AntonHunterAntonHunter Frets: 931
    This is what I used in that situation

But it was a bit of a faff, and would have much preferred a real bassist. Still got the Submarine pickup in the drawer, haven't found a use for it since.
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 792
    edited June 22
    I use a HX FX to do this - use the crossover filter and split the signal (with the split at a super low value) then process the two signals separately - bass has polycapo to drop it an octave, a drive and then there are a couple.of Bass preamps in there too. Run that straight to the desk out of the right channel, run the guitar to an amp out of the left channel. 

Poly capo is DSP hungry but there's generally enough left for a couple of dirt boxes, a delay and a reverb on the guitar side, plus you can map several FX to a single foot switch, so you can kick in overdrive on bass and guitar. 

I've found my Jaguar (so short scale, narrow field Fender single coils) tracks best of all my guitars, avoid using the neck pickup too.

(PS I found this works much better than a Boss OC5. Gigged both.)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Doubleneck and looper, El Ten Eleven style?

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13053

Well, yes, but conveniently enough it has exactly the same tricky factor as "playing guitar through an octave pedal into a bass amp in order to imitate a bass guitar at the same time as playing guitar" so it'll all come out in the wash. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Has anyone done stoner rock on a Chapman Stick?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 792

Well, yes, but conveniently enough it has exactly the same tricky factor as "playing guitar through an octave pedal into a bass amp in order to imitate a bass guitar at the same time as playing guitar" so it'll all come out in the wash. 
    Can confirm, it takes some getting used to. Any complexity in the lower registers results in the tracking going awry/flubby - keeping your strumming hand consistent in it's attack is also part of the knack. Leaving the fifth out of chords helps, you can do more complex voicings on the plain strings then of you keep the root and octave consistent. I would be very impressed if someone could sing AND play cleanly enough to keep the tracking consistent.