Silicon treble boosters - bias control?

What's Hot
LionAquaLooperLionAquaLooper Frets: 1735
edited June 24 in FX
Anybody use them? I'm new to treble boosters so pardon the incoming ignorant questions. I'm curious about the Mythos Cestus pedal and read it's got an internal bias trim pot.

I'm my experience with fuzzes with bias controls, I would only ever set bias below max if i want that dying battery sound. But why would anyone want to do that on a treble boost, esp a silicon one that's meant to be less temperamental than Ge.  I just assumed treble boosts should be at max bias constantly since it's mainly used to drive an already cooking amp. 

Considering this bias control is also inside the pedal, it's presumably a "set it  and forget it" knob. So I'm a bit baffled with the reasoning behind this but also very curious. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SeziertischSeziertisch Frets: 1436
    Based on the a Fuzzdog May 83 that I built recently, which only has a bias control, the ability to bias is not unuseful. 

I could probably live without the option but in most cases I prefer it slightly back from full, and depending on what I am plugging into I might even like it dialled back further. The bias adjusts the fuzziness and texture of the boost. 

I also recently picked up a Drunk Beaver Hoverla, and based on my experiences with that, I would say a tone control allowing you to add in lower frequencies is a much more useful option on a treble booster.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pt22pt22 Frets: 392

I also recently picked up a Drunk Beaver Hoverla, and based on my experiences with that, I would say a tone control allowing you to add in lower frequencies is a much more useful option on a treble booster.
    I agree. It’s a premium option, but the Thorpy Have Blue with the “range” control allows for all kinds of boost options from full-on treble booster to thick and fuzzy and bassy. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom