Bad Monkey - why the f#ck I discovered it so late?

What's Hot
KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1332
edited November 2014 in FX
My latest discovery - believe it or not never played one before. Until tonight when I used it with my mesa express and it put a huge smile on my face. This little, green fella rocks! :D

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2389
    Hard to go wrong for the ~£20 it costs these days :D
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1332
    I had it under £20 used and like new and it's a great pedal compared to cheap joyo stuff. Bass control on overdrive / ts pedal? Winner!
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Ok i'll be the first

did you not find that is kinda dulls your amp a bit?  I used it through an ac30 and we just didn't get along, couldn't help feel it was a blanket
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowen;402233" said:
    Ok i'll be the first

did you not find that is kinda dulls your amp a bit?  I used it through an ac30 and we just didn't get along, couldn't help feel it was a blanket
    Ac30s are super picky with drive pedals.

It is a middy sounding drive, though - most middy ts sounding ones do have a blanket over amp effect, which is why they work best when the amp is a bit driven too.

More open, balanced sounding drives like the od-3, timmy, blues driver etc might suit you better.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    It's quite dark for a TS-alike. With a bright amp and a Strat it's great though - I used two of them for years, prior to the lure of the cork.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    joeyowen;402233" said:
    Ok i'll be the first

Can't comment on how it goes with a Vox, but any wooliness in the tone is great for me since I use one with bright guitars into a boxy small valve amp. The BM thickens things generally and helps tame the top end nicely.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I likes a BM into a dirty Marshall.

I find the "blanket over the amp" type thing, when the pedal is being used as a stand-alone, or if it's boosting a pedal.

I can't comment on an AC-30 as i've not tried a BM into one.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1332
    I'm mainly playing axis with maple fretboard and their custom wound dimarzios are a bit on a brighter side hence maybe why I'm liking BM so much?
    Combined with CH1 crunch mode it gives me great smooth lead tone and with burn mode on CH2 it still retains clarity and is very quiet too considering the amount of gain applied. And that's still with the same settings on the pedal meaning it actually added another two useful channels to my amp.
    Every other mid-priced drive pedal I've tried with the express couldn't do that hence why I'm a one happy fella ;)
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12449
    I always found them to be great with single coils but a bit processed sounding with buckers, if that makes any sense. Could have been the amp I was using though
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Try a hardwire CM2. It's essentially a suped up Bad Monkey, it specifically addresses the "blanket over the amp" thing.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I like the CM-2, but as a stand-alone aternative to a dirty amp, and the BM as a boost for a dirty amp.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2483
    mike_l said:
    I like the CM-2, but as a stand-alone aternative to a dirty amp, and the BM as a boost for a dirty amp.
    Yup, same here on the BM, definitely best for me as a boost with just a touch of hair into a dirty(ish) valve amp.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    Fair call on AC30s being fussy, I found this with a few pedals, Hence why I use a Deville now I spose.

I did like it as a pedal, for the price it is a steeaallll!
    I'd like to try a CM2 as it is generally seen it is a more open BM, but you do pay for it
  • joeyowen;402233" said:
    Ok i'll be the first

Ac30s are super picky with drive pedals.

It is a middy sounding drive, though - most middy ts sounding ones do have a blanket over amp effect, which is why they work best when the amp is a bit driven too.

More open, balanced sounding drives like the od-3, timmy, blues driver etc might suit you better.
    hotcake!
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • TheCountTheCount Frets: 274
    Fair call on AC30s being fussy, I found this with a few pedals, Hence why I use a Deville now I spose.

There's nothing better than owning an AC30 to stop you spending money on drive pedals. I gave up with mine. Treble booster into top boost channel, I'm done with it now, gas free.
    TheCount said:

There's nothing better than owning an AC30 to stop you spending money on drive pedals. I gave up with mine. Treble booster into top boost channel, I'm done with it now, gas free.
    I also have a young baby, so there was not really chance to crank it haha
  • TheCountTheCount Frets: 274
    I have 3 kids and they've never complained about the noise. My wife though.......
    TheCount said:
    I have 3 kids and they've never complained about the noise. My wife though.......
    My other half is great to be fair (I have the master bedroom as a music room :D) but I think when the baby sleeps she would like some us time instead of me booting the amp!  I don't think the baby would mind, he seems to give massive smiles to loud noises.

I'll try one day and post the results over in the Fatherhood thread ;)
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2389
    KrisGee said:
    I had it under £20 used and like new and it's a great pedal compared to cheap joyo stuff. Bass control on overdrive / ts pedal? Winner!
    Funnily enough I have a joyo too and I think (for the straight-ahead TS thing) it actually sounds marginally better than the Bad Monkey (as joeyowen says, it has a little bit of a blanket thing over the speakers going on). However, I'd trust the reliability of the BM far more than the Joyo, and the added bass control is very handy as you said.
    hugbot said:
    Try a hardwire CM2. It's essentially a suped up Bad Monkey, it specifically addresses the "blanket over the amp" thing.
    Agreed though (as I just said in another thread) if you actually want the TS thing, the CM2 actually goes a little too far into "transparent/clear" territory (at least mine does). :))
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Thats always the thing about tone though innit. One persons "warmth" is another mans "mud". As soon as you make it less honky it stops being a tubescreamer.