Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Overtime and holiday pay (BBC content)

What's Hot

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    it's the way a bullying government works:

Do you want a Pizza?
    Okay we'll have a referendum "Who wants to invade Russia and have Pizza" .

... hmm noone else wants pizza it seems.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dafuzz said:

Well it looks like they won. Seems illogical tbh

How do I know if / what I can claim then?

Ask your union rep.
  • dafuzzdafuzz Frets: 1522
    dafuzz said:

Well it looks like they won. Seems illogical tbh

How do I know if / what I can claim then?

Ask your union rep.
    Nah, I'll just wait till the pro forma appears on the moneysavingexpert site and email it around. I've had about ten union reps over the years and they've all been weird and somewhat inept
    All practice and no theory
  • Just wait for the unsolicited calls "have you got unpaid overtime?....."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESchapESchap Frets: 1428
    edited November 2014
    I'm with @ESBlonde - you could make it law from now on, but backdating it would be an adminstrative and legal nightmare on top of the financial grief. The only people who would benefit would be lawyers and accountants.

PRS sales would go up then.

Backdating limited to around 3 months from what was said on BBC news at lunctime.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24781
    Backdating for 3 months only.

In other words the Tribunal has effectively guaranteed an appeal by both sides.

First to Court of Appeal, then to Supreme Court.

They'll be an application for a stay in enforcement lodged tomorrow, it will be granted and then we can have another look in a year when it gets to the Court of Appeal.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    .?? On TV this morning they said backdated for 16 years!
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7913
    what about us poor self employed? I never get a penny of holiday pay. . . :(
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Paul_C said:
    what about us poor self employed? I never get a penny of holiday pay. . . :(
    But you charge £30 ph so that you can pay your overheads and cover yourself for periods of non-working (eg holidays) whereas the employee gets £10 ph or less so that his employer carries the overheads for him and guarantees his weekly income
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    Just wait for the unsolicited calls "have you got unpaid overtime?....."
    I think you, sir, have hit the nail on the head.  It's another PPI in the making.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4212
    I have to have a fixed 2 week holiday shutdown where I could , if at work earn overtime, therefore I am denied the opportunity to do so because of an enforced 2 week holiday . So far in most cases it is retrospective for 3 months, however where there is a systematic annual loss of holiday average pay, this can go back years and fingers crossed it does.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I agree with people getting paid where overtime is compulsory, it makes sense. Though it does occur to me that if that's the case, then that overtime should be included in their contracted hours, which would have stopped a lot of lawyers making a lot of money.

Oh, wait. Does the EU Working Time Directive prohibit contractual hours over a certain level? If so, the EU has caused the problem in the first place.

• sweepy said:
    I have to have a fixed 2 week holiday shutdown where I could , if at work earn overtime, therefore I am denied the opportunity to do so because of an enforced 2 week holiday . So far in most cases it is retrospective for 3 months, however where there is a systematic annual loss of holiday average pay, this can go back years and fingers crossed it does.
    That's like saying because i was called out last weekend my work should pay me 10 million quid because I could have been winning the lottery.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • the EU has caused the problem in the first place.
    in many cases the EU IS the problem!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • I agree with people getting paid where overtime is compulsory, it makes sense. Though it does occur to me that if that's the case, then that overtime should be included in their contracted hours, which would have stopped a lot of lawyers making a lot of money.

Oh, wait. Does the EU Working Time Directive prohibit contractual hours over a certain level? If so, the EU has caused the problem in the first place.
    That's one way of looking at it, another is that it companies are wrong in expecting workers to mandatorily work hours that the EU has deemed excessive in terms of work/ life balance and general well-being of the work force.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28353
    A bit of an embarrassing fact but I did over 250 hours extra hours unpaid last year. On the plus side, I enjoy the job and the other person doing similar work and on my grade got made redundant.
  • axisus said:
    A bit of an embarrassing fact but I did over 250 hours extra hours unpaid last year. On the plus side, I enjoy the job and the other person doing similar work and on my grade got made redundant.
    He would have, if you did a lot of his job for free ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I agree with people getting paid where overtime is compulsory, it makes sense. Though it does occur to me that if that's the case, then that overtime should be included in their contracted hours, which would have stopped a lot of lawyers making a lot of money.

That's one way of looking at it, another is that it companies are wrong in expecting workers to mandatorily work hours that the EU has deemed excessive in terms of work/ life balance and general well-being of the work force.

True, but that could be construed by some (me included) as yet another EU interference in UK matters. Surely it's up to the individual whether or not they sign up to a contract with the associated T&C's when they apply for any position. I can't ever remember anyone being forced to do so, and the only time there should be any griping is if those T&C's are changed after signature, and without proper consultation.

• Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I don't even want to try and calculate the amount of unpaid overtime I do in s year. It would depress the crap out of me.
  • Adam_MD said:
    I don't even want to try and calculate the amount of unpaid overtime I do in s year. It would depress the crap out of me.
    Once upon a time the same thing would have depressed me too. But these days if I work after normal hours it's because I got in late, and am catching up.