Current man crush (1 only)

What's Hot
TanninTannin Frets: 5749
(or woman crush, as the case may be)

Which musician are you listening to with the most pleasure right now? This week, this month. 

Doesn't have to be an acoustic guitarist, but (here in the acoustic section) it probably will be. 

Just one!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 2037
    Got say that I'm not generally a fan of individual performers without either a band or vocalist accompanying them. Having said that,if I were to choose one (or two) whose songs I can listen to regularly it would be the likes of Jim Croce and Gordon Lightfoot.Of course they were accompanied a lot of the time but they were front and centre.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28133
    I can't name just one, but over the last couple of years I've spent a lot of time listening to Phoebe Bridgers, Fionn Reagan (particularly The End of History), and John Moreland
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • dunstanmusdunstanmus Frets: 92
    Jason Isbell. Great storyteller.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 4017
    Right now it's Al Stewart.

I'm blaming Alexa and not my poor diction; last night I tried to play The Alcott and it played Carol instead. Which has lead me into Modern Times
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1659
    edited July 3
    Put on Elliott Smith for the first time in about 5 years. My favourite album, Either/Or.  It's not as acoustic as some of his and not everyone's a fan but to my ears every song is a masterpiece. That's not something I bandy about lightly. I love it, and it's very personal. It may be objectively good, but may not be. I love it. Lo-fi at it's best, for me. He was a hell of a picker.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5749
    For me it's still Joscho Stephan. Typically he plays as an acoustic trio with a rhythm guitarist and upright bass, but in other lineups too. 
    GoFish said:
    Put on Elliott Smith for the first time in about 5 years. My favourite album, Either/Or.  It's not as acoustic as some of his and not everyone's a fan but to my ears every song is a masterpiece. That's not something I bandy about lightly. I love it, and it's very personal. It may be objectively good, but may not be. I love it. Lo-fi at it's best, for me. He was a hell of a picker.
    Figure 8 for me, but it's there's good stuff on every one of his records. I haven't listened to any of them in ages. I must :) 
  • JayceeJaycee Frets: 338
    Tracey Chapman, wish they would re-release the first album on vinyl.
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1659
    GoFish said:
    Figure 8 for me, but it's there's good stuff on every one of his records. I haven't listened to any of them in ages. I must :) 

Indeed. He was a talented man. Figure 8 has some awesome stuff on it.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • malcolmkindnessmalcolmkindness Frets: 172
    Tannin said:
    For me it's still Joscho Stephan. Typically he plays as an acoustic trio with a rhythm guitarist and upright bass, but in other lineups too. 
    I don't know if it's still the case, but the rhythm guitarist used to be his father.
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2274
    Townes Van Zandt 
  • TanninTannin Frets: 5749
    Tannin said:
    I don't know if it's still the case, but the rhythm guitarist used to be his father.
    Is that so! Interesting.

I imagine his father has retired now. For the last several years, The Joscho Stephan Trio has been Joscho, Sven Jungbeck  (himself a very good player) on rhythm guitar and the excellent Volker Kamp on double bass. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31346
    Jonny Buckland.

Honestly. So understated.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

Gassage said:
    Jonny Buckland.

Honestly. So understated.
    Good call. I haven't liked most of their output post-MX but what he does within the context of that material is incredible 
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 438
    Jaycee said:
    Tracey Chapman, wish they would re-release the first album on vinyl.
    I have it on the GDR Amiga label. Great record.
  • MSedgMSedg Frets: 132
    This week - Charlie Parr. With an honourable mention to Kelly Joe Phelps, who I was recommended by someone and I’m enjoying so far.

With a Figure 8 tattoo I fully endorse the love of Elliott Smith above.
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 484
    Always Isbell, but seeing as someone else has already called him out I'll mention my second most played artist of the month, if not the year, Sierra Ferrell... Fiddler, guitarist, killer singer. The total package. 

"Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • PCT57PCT57 Frets: 45
    Julian Lage
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • richman6100richman6100 Frets: 355
    Inspired by the John Martyn auction thread, I've been listening to him a lot for the last couple of days. I'm a big fan, have most of his albums and do listen to his best stuff regularly. Been revisiting some of those albums that I play less and the rather splendid 'Johnny Boy Would Love This' tribute compilation.

Other than JM, Jason Isbell, Parker Millsap, Colter Wall and John Fullbright have been on rotation. I've been on an Americana trip.
  • GrangousierGrangousier Frets: 2705
    edited July 3
    Julian Lage. I listen to his own stuff and the various things he's been doing with Zorn for the last few years, and it's consistently amazing. Also generally inspiring - I've learned a huge amount from him over the last few years, both stuff he's explicitly explaining (in videos and so forth) and just by watching him play.