Coffee lovers

What's Hot
I'm in the market for a reliable coffee machine - for filter coffee.

They are pretty much the simplest of all coffee machines, so are they all really much of a muchness or do they differ in some way I haven't noticed?

Don't need anything posh really, as long as it doesn't burn the coffee.

Any recommendations?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I found the opposite problem when buying cheap, they don't get hot enough!

Ended up with a £40 job from Argos, nothing special but it makes nice coffee assuming you use nice coffee ;-)
  • Ziltoid said:
    You shall fetch me your universes ultimate cup of coffee... Black! You have five Earth minutes, Make it perfect!

;)
  • you want reliable then a Bravilor or Bartscher should be high on your list, last you years and don't take up much more space if any than your crappy domestic machine.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24781
    you want reliable then a Bravilor or Bartscher should be high on your list, last you years and don't take up much more space if any than your crappy domestic machine.
    Blimey!

They are a touch pricey! 
  • I've found that you're better off spending your money on a decent grinder and using beans rather than messing with a machine.

I just use either an Aeropress or Swissgold cup-top filters.

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited November 2014

If I had an easy way of making coffee, other than buying Nescafe crap or grinding and percolating and dealing with the mess I would go insane from Caffeine overdose.  Any retailed coffee machine is targeted for stupid women or as a gift.  If you want a decent one that actually works and is universal, they don't come cheap and you have to drink a shitload of coffee before it goes stale.  Still the coffee aroma in the house is nice.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BRAVILOR-COFFEE-MACHINE-/181557973179?pt=UK_BOI_Restaurant_RL&hash=item2a45b2d0bb

Move next to a Krispy Kreme doughnut shop and life is made.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    This is pricey but the best addition to our kitchen 6 years ago. Has made 4782 coffees as per digital counter which equates to over £12000 at Costa coffee. Freshly ground beans are the way forward in the morning and this machine has never broken down. I can't reccomend it enough and if it did break down I would buy another immediately. Ps alternate your coffee beans variety is the spice ...... http://www.appliance-world.co.uk/Neff_C77V60N2GB_Coffee+Machines.html?gclid=CjwKEAiAj-KiBRC48YzhnLSg0D0SJAClOhK3TqA8i4nylwWYC-MVyVnIL0_fuhNyhht5ZJ4B7TqkMhoCHNbw_wcB
  • you want reliable then a Bravilor or Bartscher should be high on your list, last you years and don't take up much more space if any than your crappy domestic machine.
    Blimey!

They are a touch pricey! 

don't be shy to go 2nd hand from a supplier.. Makro do one a bit cheaper that is a rebadged Bravilor but its not online, will have a look when I am in there Friday.

they are worth the extra if you can justify; you wont be needing to buy another.

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17855
    tFB Trader
    We recently got a nespresso machine at work and having been skeptical I'm now completely converted.

Pisses on any other coffee I've had outside of Milan
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • camfcamf Frets: 1195
    Aeropress... great little machine. £25 and is the easiest cleaned coffee machine I've ever used. Ideal for work. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4065
    I'm in the market for a reliable coffee machine - for filter coffee.....

Any recommendations?
    Hell yeah.... coffee bong.

I love coffee.  And while it might take a little bit of getting used to (but not too long) the coffee bong is the absolute mutts for a simple coffee fix.

I've spent hundreds, (gawd, possibly thousands), on machines and stuff, I've settled on this.  The coffee bong requires a bit of skill but produces the best cup ever... of this type of coffee hit. 

[my 2p's}
  • I usually drink espresso and I haven't replaced my broken filter machine - too big when you live on your own. I need to get a new Bialetti Moka pot though - that makes the tastiest coffee when I fancy it long.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4065
    edited November 2014
    ... EDIT [over-enthusiastic] about coffee bongs.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7913
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • I usually drink espresso and I haven't replaced my broken filter machine - too big when you live on your own. I need to get a new Bialetti Moka pot though - that makes the tastiest coffee when I fancy it long.
    yep, Moka pot by far one of my fave ways to make a great coffee at home, and when I want a bit of froth I have the AEG milk frother which is awesome and knocks socks off the Nespresso one I had before.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    I've gotten to an age where my left testicle aches if I drink too much coffee.  Also smoking is no good for it either.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12028
    I actually gave away my aeropress, I found out I prefer espresso based coffee in the end.
  • ForgeForge Frets: 431
    edited November 2014
    Hario Skerton grinder £22 and Bialetti stove top espresso maker £20....beans bought only from Brown Bear as they are miles better than branded beans and cheaper than supermarkets' own is you use the online coupons. That's my coffee habit sorted for life without having to spend on filters, descaling products and so on, plus freshly ground coffee is the mutts nuts. The instant stuff is horrible, I'd rather have a cup of tea.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12028
    Instant coffee is akin to calling orange squash real orange juice. Yuk.