Suggestions for an acoustic upto £800

What's Hot
DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2193
edited July 5 in Acoustics
I'd like to get a half decent acoustic.  I had a taylor ad27, but sold that on when the dishwasher needed replacing. We had our bathroom fitted in the same week so needed the cash and didn't want anymore on credit.
Anyway....I'm missing the sound of a decent acoustic guitar. I don't really have any idea as to what constitutes a decent acoustic guitar. 

I've been drawn to eastmans, some sigmas and the yamaha ll16. In terms of sound, I love the sound of pierre bensusan (I can definitely not play like him), Neil Young, joni, John Martyn and other 70s folky singers. 
On board electrics isn't essential, it would be handy but I'd like them to be discreet. Ie not a huge thing with sliders and knobs on. Open to suggestions and pointers. 
I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4196
    The electrics on my Faith are very discreet and work really well.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4376
    The Epiphone inspired by Gibson Humminbird is lovely 
      Also the Sigma hummingbird & J200 acoustics 
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3765
    Yamaha… LS6… should be on the try list.

A Taylor GS Mini with the ES2 system is nice and easy size.  I find the Taylor system really good and it definitely stops the thumping and plucky sounds of under saddle piezo.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2193
    Yamaha… LS6… should be on the try list.

A Taylor GS Mini with the ES2 system is nice and easy size.  I find the Taylor system really good and it definitely stops the thumping and plucky sounds of under saddle piezo.
    I did think about an ls6, I was just thinking that I'd always be hankering after the 16. From what I gather, the ls6 is laminate back and sides whereas the 16 is solid wood? 
    Question is whether its worth the extra? I do have a soft spot for yamaha guitars.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • JoeMcJoeMc Frets: 54
    I’ve just put this up in the classifieds today.. fits the bill?

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/268772/jwj-orchestra-standard#latest
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2897
    Have a look at secondhand Downinas for that price, astonishing quality
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 2037
    What body size? Nut width? Fretboard shape? Type of woods? And so on.
    What body size? Nut width? Fretboard shape? Type of woods? And so on.
    Most of that is a mystery to me. I'm not really a fan of dreadnoughts, I find them a bit boomy and cumbersome. I don't think a parlor guitar is really for me. Something around OM size or a smaller dreadnought. 
    I'm not sold on  a cutaway for an acoustic. Woods I have no idea on. All I know is that spruce seems to be to be the popular choice for tops. That or cedar.

Nut width, nothing too fiddly ideally suitable spacing for finger picking. Fretboard shape....preferably flat?  Neck shape not bothered. 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8167
    Sigma SOMR-28
    This is going to be just one of many, many suggestions though.
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 4017
    If your budget can stretch a little I have a lovely Furch in the classifieds that we may be able to reach an agreement on. 
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 818
    edited July 6
    Yamahas featuring in thread because they are a top choice for quality/cost. Have a trip on the train to Paddington, catch the Tube to Tottenham Court Road, walk to Wardour St, find Yamaha London and go downstairs. Loads of beautiful guitars. Yamaha acoustics not big on electrics. I think they follow the philosophy that if you don't use them don't have them. Less cost, less weight, better pure tone. For £800 you can have any LS you fancy. Take a good look at the FS's too in the £3-500 range mostly. In fact look at all the guitars there! Have fun.
    :-)
    DOI Big Yamaha fan.
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 255
    If you don't have set ideas about woods & nut widths, why not investigate used?
    Most shops keep a few pre-owned, and I believe GuitarGuitar will ship used items between branches for you to try.
    Also you get a guitar that's been played in. 

@drofluf that Furch looks very nice. Lovely instrument.

• BigLicks67BigLicks67 Frets: 769
    I would definitely buy used with current new prices being as high as they are.
    With that in mind there is a Taylor 314 in the classifieds that fits the bill or the Eastman E10 -00 would be a probably be a good buy.
    However, I wouldn't rule out dreadnoughts or jumbos based on the artists you listen to, so a used Taylor 310 or a Yamaha LL11 could be had for £800.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8537
    WIth acoustics you just have to try them. Nothing like comparing half a dozen candidates in a shop side by side. Last time I was looking for one I ended up with a 2nd hand Martin DM - their cheapest USA model with a bolt on neck and laminated back and sides. It's the most responsive, resonant acoustic I've ever owned, and the neck is great.

The message being, rather than just bigging up what *I* happen to have: you can spend ages reading about the specs of different options, take on board the received wisdom about ideal acoustic construction, but nothing beats just playing stuff and looking for the instrument that makes you want to pick it up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11621
    Might get a second hand Furch for that.

Otherwise, the Martin X series can sound very good.  Purists don't like them because of the non-traditional materials, but they are well made and sound good.
  • wrinkleygitwrinkleygit Frets: 273
    edited July 6
    I’m about to list my Alvarez Masterworks MF60-om, in as new condition, restrung with Newtone Heritage, fret ends cleaned up and action set at around 1.5mm at 12th fret, including OE gigbag, just down the road from you, close to M5 junc 28, pm for more details, owes me £400 ish. Lot of guitar for not much money.
    Yeah I am thinking second hand at the moment. Guitarguitar.co.uk have a very nice furch I've been hovering over. 
    @Cirrus is right I think I need to go out and try some. I am veering towards a solid bodied guitar. Simply because the taylor ad27 I had was leagues better than any other acoustic I'd tried before. Granted most of the ones I see these days are super cheap ones for a local charity. 
  • malcolmkindnessmalcolmkindness Frets: 172
    The Eastman E10 00 in the classifieds is an excellent guitar for the money, if you are anywhere nearby you should give it a try. I had one for a while and probably should have kept it. No electronics but you can always add a K&K later if needed, they work great In smaller guitars.
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1820
    Something I bumped into a few years back and they still list them is the Cort Luce series. The 300 I have is pretty much a Cort built Om with vintage style bracing which is pretty much s straight pull from a vintage Martin I measured and checked that the top is solid Adirondack solid mahogany back and sides. Mine must be 6-7 years old now punches well above its weight is not a dreadnaught

the draw back is probably little things like I find the top a bit to yellow it has toned down a lot over the years. The Adirondack took a while to break in but gets better and better as the years roll on. 

Think you can still pick them up sub 500 new I paid 295 back then so a total steal.

A real hidden bargain 
     https://www.cortguitars.com/product/item.php?ca_id=102040&it_id=131&page=1
  • ditchboyditchboy Frets: 319
    drofluf said:
    If your budget can stretch a little I have a lovely Furch in the classifieds that we may be able to reach an agreement on. 
    Stunning guitar this. I can’t really afford another acoustic at the moment but I would strongly consider this if I could. I’ve had a few Furch over the years and the quality and sound is right up there.