What's Hot

Comments

• euaneuan Frets: 1714
    edited July 7
    Never mind already explain
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24200
    TTony said:
    I never ever buy strings (or any music gear for that matter) from Amazon. Full of fakes and dodgy sellers.

I get my strings from StringsDirect too. Yes its retail price (or maybe a little cheaper) and not as cheap cheap as Ebay/Amazon but I know I'm getting the genuine goods and I want to support the smaller UK businesses.
    I've said the same, many times.

Amazon is pot luck for the reason that @darthed1981 stated.  Sometimes you'll be fine, othertimes you won't be, but then that's the chance you take with many things when price is the main purchase-driver.

Personally, I'm fed up with Amazon being flooded with cheap "branded" Chinese stuff for many items nowadays.  I don't want cheap, I want good and reliable/proven, and so I place some value on buying some things from a recognised brand.  Lots of that Chinese stuff is now "branded", but they're nonsensical here-today, gone-later-today "brands" that have absolutely zero value.

It's become a re-formatted AliExpress.
    I think Amazon's become very much like eBay, except on eBay, if you're lucky, you can search around and find a seller with pictures of the actual item and you can get a feel for whether both item and seller are "genuine".  eBay's got a better search function, as well.  Amazon's one big advantage, though, is speed of delivery.
  • kossofffankossofffan Frets: 560
    Heard this so many times now. I always buy strings from my local guitar shop. They appreciate it & I know my purchase is genuine!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1659
    I've been calling em "AliExpress-on-Thames" for a while now.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12893
    Strings Direct all the way for me these days.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • donbotdonbot Frets: 378
    I figured I used to manage perfectly well without Amazon, didn’t like the idea of supporting them by using Prime or any other of their services. I can manage without same or next day delivery thanks. 
    Deleted my account a year so so back. Haven’t missed it at all to be honest. 
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 2037
    Rusty Strings is Billy's red headed younger brother.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • allenallen Frets: 777
    I have recently found out that D'Addarios have a code in them that you can put into the website. I am assuming that this means you can check authenticity.

Have also just tried these chaps for strings and they had the best price by miles - although did take a week to arrive from Holland.

https://lordofthestrings.com/en

• BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2244
    I always worry about this on Amazon now. A lot of stuff on there is fake. Well spotted and thanks! 
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2427
    edited July 7
    I used to assume you were safe if it were sold by Amazon, but as @darthed1981 said, that doesn't seem to apply any more.  Thanks for the heads-up @grungebob ;
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2563
    Did you buy them through the Ernie Ball store on Amazon? I always use them and so far seem to have been lucky. 

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • idiotwindowidiotwindow Frets: 1466
    Dave_Mc said:
    I used to assume you were safe if it were sold by Amazon, but as @darthed1981 said, that doesn't seem to apply any more.  Thanks for the heads-up @grungebob ;
    It hasn't been the case for many years and I have mentioned it here many times. Amazon's policy of commingling (to use the jargon) means that buying any branded items that are often faked (like batteries, SD cards, Apple accessories and guitar strings) is a crapshoot.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12158
    I'm glad I use Elixir, it's easy to look with a magnifying glass on the thickest strings, you can easily see the coating
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4861
    edited July 8
    grungebob said:
    So I don’t normally buy my strings from Amazon but I was short on basket total to get free shipping and did need a pack so looked about and found some Hybrids Slinky’s sold and distributed by Amazon themselves so thought they’d be legit. 

Nope. 
     Sticker on the back from some dodgy place 

No product code printed inside

Badly cut/trimmed packaging

Hard to tell from a photo but the paper packets and printed ink isn’t typical EB quality plus the strings are heavily tarnished inside

Amazon refunded but didn’t care. They wanted me to send them back but it’s an offence to knowingly post counterfeit items in the U.K. so they told me to dispose of them once I’d informed them of such. 
    I asked Ernie Balls U.K. distributor to confirm as fake, and they are. The APEKS company is a known seller of fake products.  

Just be careful out there people. 

Had a similar issue on EB strings with Ebay last year, who wouldn't refund unless I returned strings (which I refused to do as these would go straight back into circulation) but referred me to PayPal. Went through PayPal and similar problems. In the end after a lot of faffing I got a good will refund from PayPal but it was hard work.

There needs to be a better process for gaining refunds on counterfeit items and Amazon, Ebay. PayPal all need to collaborate to sort this.

EB counterfeits are rife and a plague, but although I wrote to EB suggesting they add security check codes like Daddario, they simply weren't intrrested. Its another reason I tend to stick with Daddario plus I get points to exchange for things such as more strings, a tuner, a slide etc. and I've benefitted from receiving all of these free. Plus Daddario customer service is really good. 

Daddario fakes are probably still out there of course, but these are much less common because of the codes and because Daddario will take action. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12893
    I'm glad I use Elixir, it's easy to look with a magnifying glass on the thickest strings, you can easily see the coating
    I purchased a set of Nanoweb and a set of Optiweb to try out.  I'm about to fit a set to a guitar - what's the difference between the two??? 
  • Switch625Switch625 Frets: 595
    Have bought some Rotosounds from Amazon when they were on offer in the past. Wonder if they get counterfeited too?

• euaneuan Frets: 1714
    I randomly got a refund from Amazon for the last three pack of Rotosounds I ordered from there.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11621
    allen said:
    I have recently found out that D'Addarios have a code in them that you can put into the website. I am assuming that this means you can check authenticity.

Have also just tried these chaps for strings and they had the best price by miles - although did take a week to arrive from Holland.

https://lordofthestrings.com/en

Yes, it will tell you if they are fake, unless the counterfeiters have found a way to break the numbering system.

You can also get goodies from the loyalty points.

I got one of these through the door on Saturday:

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1460
    I've seen clones of the Walrus Audio stuff on Ali Express for half the price. Bad knockoffs, or all coming from the same factory?
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2674
    To put things in perspective, I've bought nearly all my strings from Amazon for many years without any issues.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom