PSA: PRS Hendrix amps £499 w/free pedal at Peach

What's Hot

Comments

• BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5103
    Dave_Mc said:
    They must be the worst named pedal series ever.
    The worst thing is that they almost certainly aren't.  =)

Boromedic said:
    I was tempted but it's not quite Plexi enough for me I don't think, based on the demos anyway.
    What is it, is it more or less a lower wattage jtm45 with solid state rectifier, internally jumpered channels, higher gain and bright switches and master volume?
    I dunno, in the demos it lacks, for want of a better word, that Kerrang that Marshalls have. However when you read about the mods made to Jimis Super Leads that makes sense. They did the mods to add clean sustain, and enhance reliability, Jimi used pedals so it was a mix of that and the amp as opposed to just the amp which is what say, Page used among other famous players. 

That being said it does sound like Jimi, so it is a Plexi, it's just not my fave Plexi (if that makes sense!).

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16550
    That has reminded me of how close that big knob is to the footswitch on the PRS compressor, odd bit of design. 
    I wonder if we will see the pedals discounted separately at some point. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4307
    That has reminded me of how close that big knob is to the footswitch on the PRS compressor, odd bit of design. 
    Already seems to be happening - the flanger's down to £199 now.

This deal does seem attractive though, as secondhand prices on the amp and the flanger should comfortably come in at more than break-even, so it'd be a reasonably 'low risk' purchase if you don't mind waiting for offers to end and prices to go back to 'normal'.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10165
    I don't need it and would get more use out of some Hendrix style captures for NAM or Tonex etc, but that is a lovely sounding amp
    Taking part in 1000 Lights - raising money for Uprawr Mental Health Foundation
    https://www.justgiving.com/page/pianomatt-1000lights
    I may have just bought one..... We shall see how it sounds :)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9793
    Peach were using this amp at a PRS event a couple of years ago. Sounded LOUD and very nice in a live setting.
    I think they're absolutely silly value and the horsemeat is a great versatile pedal. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7892
    Horsemeat is something generally perceived as of low value and lesser quality and used to pad out something else when you want it to seem more valuable than it is. 

So the name worked in the end. 
    Red ones are better. 
    9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GillyGilly Frets: 1241
    edited July 11
    It’s a great deal if you’re in the market for a low cost tube amp. You can’t even buy a piece of shit modelling amp for that. We should be saluting PRS for selling quality gear at this price point.

This deal does seem attractive though, as secondhand prices on the amp and the flanger should comfortably come in at more than break-even, so it'd be a reasonably 'low risk' purchase if you don't mind waiting for offers to end and prices to go back to 'normal'.
    That flanger looks big by modern pedal standards, also has a knob in a daft place and I don’t know how many people want dual analog flangers. Actually dual analog flanger does sound like something I’d like, I’m going to go watch a demo and see if they ever come up on clearance…
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 7067
    Have basically chased a Hendrix live tone amp for years before I got an SV20 so in theory should have been all over this. 

Sadly I don't think the PRS has it and both the amp and the pedals seem really naff. 
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4307

That flanger looks big by modern pedal standards, also has a knob in a daft place and I don’t know how many people want dual analog flangers. Actually dual analog flanger does sound like something I’d like, I’m going to go watch a demo and see if they ever come up on clearance…
    The one positive I see of that knob placement is that you could theoretically then use your foot to blend from LFO 1 to LFO 2 while playing, but that doesn’t seem particularly practical for this one!

The one positive I see of that knob placement is that you could theoretically then use your foot to blend from LFO 1 to LFO 2 while playing, but that doesn’t seem particularly practical for this one!

It's just going to get kicked although the knob placement on the compressor is worse.
    I watched a demo and it sounds like, err, a flanger that can go very flangery. I'd be tempted at bargain bin prices but even at £199 there are a lot of flangers out there. 
  • FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 598
    I have just bought the 20 watt amp and went for the flanger as the free pedal. 
    At that price it seems low risk.
    I don't have a flanger, never had one. 
    One comment on the TPS episode which demo'd them, Dan said that if you turn the regen to zero it becomes a chorus. That sounded useful. 

The website for the pedal offer looks as if it's PRS themselves. The email you get for the offer isn't from Peach. 

If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Injured Veteran and head injury survivor. Bouts of grumpy behavior and brutal humor are to be expected.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Epi LP Custom
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
    Quick review, amp sounds really good, definitely more Plexi in person than a lot of the videos. It's loud, well made and a bargain when you consider that with a free pedal you're basically getting the amp for sub £400. Insane really.

It's also better made than a Studio series Marshall, if that bothers you. I'm actually flabbergasted how good it is.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1988
    Nice one! Do you know what pedal you will get?
  • PetepassionPetepassion Frets: 1118
    Argh, had to battle with myself not to order one of these  =)
    ‘It is no measure of good health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society’
  • stylesforfreestylesforfree Frets: 216
    Boromedic said:
    Quick review, amp sounds really good, definitely more Plexi in person than a lot of the videos. It's loud, well made and a bargain when you consider that with a free pedal you're basically getting the amp for sub £400. Insane really.

It's also better made than a Studio series Marshall, if that bothers you. I'm actually flabbergasted how good it is.
    Nooooo....stop. I need to resist...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 12
    Lodious said:
    Nice one! Do you know what pedal you will get?
    You can pick from all 3, so I ordered the Horsemeat, should be the easiest to sell!

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2427
    edited July 12
    Boromedic said:
    Dave_Mc said:
    They must be the worst named pedal series ever.
    The worst thing is that they almost certainly aren't. 

Boromedic said:
    I was tempted but it's not quite Plexi enough for me I don't think, based on the demos anyway.
    What is it, is it more or less a lower wattage jtm45 with solid state rectifier, internally jumpered channels, higher gain and bright switches and master volume?
    I dunno, in the demos it lacks, for want of a better word, that Kerrang that Marshalls have. However when you read about the mods made to Jimis Super Leads that makes sense. They did the mods to add clean sustain, and enhance reliability, Jimi used pedals so it was a mix of that and the amp as opposed to just the amp which is what say, Page used among other famous players. 

That being said it does sound like Jimi, so it is a Plexi, it's just not my fave Plexi (if that makes sense!).

Yeah I think you're right- I listened to some clips after I posted. It does sound good- very good, actually- just I'm not sure it's exactly what I want. I already have too much stuff, and I'm not sure that buying something which isn't exactly what I want is going to help!

I've just noticed you just gone  and got one. LOL.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2427
    Boromedic said:

Dangit stop that kind of dangerous talk! =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom