Favourite Valve Amp

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1233

I'm going to sing the praises of - to me - one of the best sounding 'live' amps I've ever played for 'Americana'. The Peavey 30w Classic. Probably not the best if you record more than play with a band ... but this thing just flatters the hell out of your playing on a stage, it just seems to work on stage in the way I haven't found in an amp since my old JTM45 many years ago. 
    Mine is modified with a Celestion Cream Back - but even with the stock speaker it really does the business. Rockabilly, blues, country, straight down the line rock - does it all. Not two million different sounds - just two channels with a couple of truly excellent ones. It's also light for a valve amp and takes pedals like a champ.

Down sides ... it get's hot enough to poach eggs ... the boost feature is pointless and the chromed face plate is impossible to see under stage lighting (get a little goose neck). 

Pisses all over the Laney LC30 I used to have.  

PS ... I prefer the look of the older ones that didn't have the 'pregnant Peavey' bump for the name plate ... but at £300 or so second hand ... insane value. 

They sound great and they're good value secondhand. Techs absolutely hate them though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 926
    edited July 29
    Ash @OilCityPickups you should try my Peavey Classic 100watt head. It's amazing!

It still surprises me how good and open it sounds. My favourite amp tbh. 

Trading feedback - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/228538/neilybob

flanging_fed “
    A Les Paul, @ThorpyFX ;;Veteran and the 4010 is awesome at volume, it’s like playing Thor’s hammer!” Ref Marshall JCM800 4010 combo 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8385
    This amp is fabulous. Kicks the ass of a Fender HRD, and this one is going crazy crazy cheap. 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 512
    The blonde one... it really does absolutely everything I need.

"Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 11492
    tFB Trader
    Neilybob said:
    Ash @OilCityPickups you should try my Peavey Classic 100watt head. It's amazing!

It still surprises me how good and open it sounds. My favourite amp tbh. 

Oooooo with a 4x10 .... yum! 
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• HaychHaych Frets: 5996
    I used to own a Peavey Classic 50 head with the matching 410 cabinet.  I recall it was rather good, and the 410 cab was surprisingly light and portable!

My first 'proper' amp was a Classic 30 but I was still a ham fisted heathen back then so didn't know how to get the best out of it but I recall it was alright.  I also had the 112E cab to go with it which was really useful and at gigs I'd place the amp on a chair behind me, stage left and use a long speaker cable and place the cab stage right - really helped balance out the sound without having to go stupid loud.

A few years later I also had a Classic 50 212 combo, the clean channel was awesome but the dirty channel was pretty grim, raspy and just hard to dial in a good tone.  I modded that, changed some of the caps and whatnot in the tone circuit and it made the world of difference.  I also added a mid shift switch which was really useful - I should have wired that up to the foot switch so it changed between channels but sold it (had too many amps at the time) before I realised I could do that. 

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.