Tone is in the fingers

What's Hot

Comments

• BillDLBillDL Frets: 8974
    edited July 14
    Kurtis said:
    Tone's in yer arse. 
    How's your tone?  Wide open and hollow / cavernous with lots of echo, or tight and dry? 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25003
    edited July 14
    Kurtis said:
    Tone's in yer arse. 
    Sung to the tune of ‘Groove is in the Heart’ by Deee Lite…
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16659
    Does anyone else question their masculinity when watching Tom Bukovac?
    I always think he looks like a sweaty tramp with terrible beer breath. But the heart wants what the heart wants Richard. 

Brian May often uses a 'wall' of AC30's to get his inimitable tone, and yet...

That's still modelled on the same thing though, if he was sounding like that through a Zoom 505 or a Line 6 Spider then maybe...
    True, but I have seen Brian playing another guitar (think it was a Squier, but not certain) & still sounding like himself.
    Wish I could find a clip, but no success as yet... 
    In his lockdown videos he played different things through a practice amp and it's still distinctly Brian May (although watching him on screen obviously adds to that). I suspect he may have removed them by now. Here’s Brian on a strat:

https://youtu.be/xGMItC3PfV8?si=4pcHdxV__36IIntf

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5114
    It's not an either/or; the playing, the expression, the strings, the wood, the pickups, the amp, and so-on all contribute to the tone.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30139
    Kurtis said:
    Tone's in yer arse. 
    Sung to the tune of ‘Groove is in the Heart’ by Deee Lite…
    Being reminded of Groove Is In The Heart is the musical equivalent of losing The Game.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • guyinlyonguyinlyon Frets: 379
    No, but I question yours...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25003
    guyinlyon said:
    No, but I question yours...
    And so you should. Nick Knowles has the same effect on me…
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 390
    I'd argue that tone is in the ears. 
    A player's ears will dictate how to dial their gear, and different gear of the same family (e.g. high gain amps) will help achieve that easier. 

Then, ears will dictate dynamics, vibrato, phrasing, articulation, even technique bc you can't play it unless you can "hear" it and you can't phrase it unless you can "sing" it in your head. 

so, tone is in the ears. 
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 2147
    Catthan said:
    I'd argue that tone is in the ears. 
    A player's ears will dictate how to dial their gear, and different gear of the same family (e.g. high gain amps) will help achieve that easier. 

Then, ears will dictate dynamics, vibrato, phrasing, articulation, even technique bc you can't play it unless you can "hear" it and you can't phrase it unless you can "sing" it in your head. 

so, tone is in the ears. 
    Me singing anything removes all tone.
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 1012
    @Catthan @guitarjack66 wife says I can't whistle or sing for fudge, but I believe I can play original nice, though not overly finger-tying, licks and melodies.
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4251
    If I turn my guitar around and try to play it wrong handed through my rig,  it sounds awful. Even just single notes.   Played the right way around,  the tone is lovelier. 

I'd agree that tone is available through the fingers
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 390
    sing it in your head, not loudly unless you’re George Benson, Al Jarreau or Bobby Mcferrin. it’s why jazzers groan and make funny noises when they improv and also how you know  when you’ve played a bum note. you can use it the other way too as a creative tool for composition, improv and upping your chops 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25052
    Didn't Carlos Santana say tone is in your legs?  Or your cojones?  Or possibly both?
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2714
    The problem only arises because people insist on a too literal interpretation of what is obviously meant as figurative language.   Proving that it's not literally true is a bit like slicing up a warrior to prove that he didn't actually have the heart of a lion. 

It's just a figurative way of saying the player is more important than the gear.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4960
    The problem only arises because people insist on a too literal interpretation of what is obviously meant as figurative language.   Proving that it's not literally true is a bit like slicing up a warrior to prove that he didn't actually have the heart of a lion. 

It's just a figurative way of saying the player is more important than the gear.
    That's a great observation and I agree with you completely.  :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15382
    tFB Trader
    I know that all the bum notes, that crop up far to often, is certainly from my fingers
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25052
    I know that all the bum notes, that crop up far to often, is certainly from my fingers
    They're from your bum, surely?
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4960
    Philly_Q said:
    They're from your bum, surely?
    Is that why they're flat-ulent?  :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • ColsCols Frets: 7702

That's still modelled on the same thing though, if he was sounding like that through a Zoom 505 or a Line 6 Spider then maybe...
    True, but I have seen Brian playing another guitar (think it was a Squier, but not certain) & still sounding like himself.
    Wish I could find a clip, but no success as yet...  :#
    Here you go - skip to 16:30.

Playing an Epiphone SG into a shitty practice amp with no sixpence, and still sounding like Brian fucking May.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U-3jdtH26Hg&pp=ygUiQnJpYW4gbWF5IHJhZGlvIGludGVydmlldyBuZXcgeW9yaw%3D%3D 

• mooncatmooncat Frets: 122
    Cols said:

Wish I could find a clip, but no success as yet...  :#
    Here you go - skip to 16:30.

Playing an Epiphone SG into a shitty practice amp with no sixpence, and still sounding like Brian fucking May.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U-3jdtH26Hg&pp=ygUiQnJpYW4gbWF5IHJhZGlvIGludGVydmlldyBuZXcgeW9yaw%3D%3D 

To me it sounds like Brian May playing through a shitty amp. 
    So should it not be "phrasing is in the fingers" and not "tone is in the fingers"?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom