Tone is in the fingers

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10970
    I certainly think some amp tones are less forgiving than others in terms of highlighting bad technique. This is why I prefer valve amps, they flatter the player. 

What's in your fingers is choices ... there are so many ways to play even just one  single not. You make the right choice you get a nice tone 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4627
    Philly_Q said:
    Didn't Carlos Santana say tone is in your legs?  Or your cojones?  Or possibly both?
    Or ovaries for our members of the fairer sex :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stylesforfreestylesforfree Frets: 228
    I need a TLDR. His incessant rambling, mouth noises, sucking in air and morning grumbling voice is too much for me to bear/bare/beer.

I enjoy some of his videos but this one had one tangent too many.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25052
    Philly_Q said:
    Didn't Carlos Santana say tone is in your legs?  Or your cojones?  Or possibly both?
    Or ovaries for our members of the fairer sex :)
    Quite possibly.  But still in the legs.  Assuming they have legs.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 8974
    Yes, I would guess they have legs, and know how to use them.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    edited July 16
    I firmly believe the tone in fingers thing. But ultimately I'd also suggest it's just a nice way of saying "If you sound crap it's you, not the gear". But people don't want to hear that. 

Some people have loads of gear and still sound shit, either because they don't know how to set the gear up to work well, or don't know how to physically play the instrument to make it sound good, or (usually) both. I suspect this is where the Gilmour, Mayer, Bonamassa tone chasing comes from, because all of those guys do have great kit and are gear heads so are constantly tweaking things. But they're also all players who can make a guitar absolutely sing, and that's almost completely unrelated to the specific gear they use. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4960
    edited July 16
    Danny1969 said:
    I certainly think some amp tones are less forgiving than others in terms of highlighting bad technique. This is why I prefer valve amps, they flatter the player. 

Odd. I always felt that valve amps were less forgiving and show up mistakes more. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)