Single channel high gain with MV and FX loop?

What's Hot
paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3121
I currently use a 1st generation EVH LBX 111 15 watt head on the blue channel, its my idea of sonic heaven…

I would like another head, tonally similar, but around 30w, as I only ever use the one channel it would make sense to have a single channel head, with MV and FX loop, I dont need a boatload of features, does such a thing exist?
Any suggestions please?
Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3437
    Marshall SC20?
  • StefBStefB Frets: 2512
    Victory Kraken maybe?
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 438
    Friedman
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18077
    tFB Trader
    Jet City although that would be 20 or 50 rather than 30 watts

The obvious thing would be to move up to a 50 watt EVH if you already know you like them. 
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2485
    I'll second the Kraken shout - yes it's two channels, but they're so differently flavoured that you're likely to favour one over the other for the majority of usage.
    Tim
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25050
    How do you define high gain? For some people that's Led Zepp, for others Meshuggah.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3121
    How do you define high gain? For some people that's Led Zepp, for others Meshuggah.

EVH ish

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• NerineNerine Frets: 2362
    This is kinda my territory. 

As in, the sort of amp I like and buy. I’ve been through many things and you’d think it’s an easy score spec-wise and it just isn’t - especially if you want something a bit nice. 

For comparison, my needs are - Master Volume, FX Loop, sensible size and weight, and one channel is fine - I like them simple too, and I’m going to rule out 20 watters because they don’t quite have the depth of sound I like. 

My favourite amp is the JCM 800 reissue. It ticks nearly every box. No question. 
    Problem being it’s wide, heavy, cumbersome and I go out with a 1x12 cab mostly - albeit a wider one - and it looks frankly daft sat on top. 

So. What I’m going to do - most likely: 

Get a MOD 800 2204 built by Modulus amps. Master volume, fx loop (believe can be easily added as an option) small box/headshell, plenty of power. Check their website. 

Sensible prices and spec it how you want. 

Other than that, you’ve got Friedman, Bogner, Suhr, Soldano, EVH etc as the main options I would say, based on criteria above. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    paulnb57 said:

EVH ish

JCM800 / SC20 mini.

Or even a used Mini Plexi and get it modded for more gain? Could be as simple as one of those Two-Into-1 valve things - Legendary Tones - Mr. Scary Mod - Handmade in USA, 100% Pure Tube, High Gain Module

Nerine said:
    This is kinda my territory. 

As in, the sort of amp I like and buy. I’ve been through many things and you’d think it’s an easy score spec-wise and it just isn’t - especially if you want something a bit nice. 

For comparison, my needs are - Master Volume, FX Loop, sensible size and weight, and one channel is fine - I like them simple too, and I’m going to rule out 20 watters because they don’t quite have the depth of sound I like. 

My favourite amp is the JCM 800 reissue. It ticks nearly every box. No question. 
    Problem being it’s wide, heavy, cumbersome and I go out with a 1x12 cab mostly - albeit a wider one - and it looks frankly daft sat on top. 

So. What I’m going to do - most likely: 

Get a MOD 800 2204 built by Modulus amps. Master volume, fx loop (believe can be easily added as an option) small box/headshell, plenty of power. Check their website. 

Sensible prices and spec it how you want. 

Other than that, you’ve got Friedman, Bogner, Suhr, Soldano, EVH etc as the main options I would say, based on criteria above. 

It really insnt easy
    My EVH Lunchbox blue channel is 'me' I can more than likely get close with a higher wattage EVH head, but they are three channel and I will only ever use the blue channel.

The simplicity of the lunchbox is fabulous, I can get the sound I like in seconds it full without being boomy, it has girth, it cuts through and roars, without being harsh, it s difficult to describe, but I like it so much... I wish EVH made a 30/40 water of the same thing

I was looking at Modulus earlier today I think I will message them and ask the question

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34069
    paulnb57 said:
    I currently use a 1st generation EVH LBX 111 15 watt head on the blue channel, its my idea of sonic heaven…

I would like another head, tonally similar, but around 30w, as I only ever use the one channel it would make sense to have a single channel head, with MV and FX loop, I dont need a boatload of features, does such a thing exist?
    Any suggestions please?
    Matchless Coldwater Canyon.
    It is 20w but it is otherwise exactly wat you are looking for.

Go 1:20ish into this video:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4833
    JCM800 / SC20 mini and slam the front end with an SD-1.

FTFY.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• andy_kandy_k Frets: 829
    edited July 16
    5150 OD- into SV 20.
    octatonic said:
    paulnb57 said:

Any suggestions please?

2mins 49 onwards I think.

Sounds fantastic!

octatonic said:
    paulnb57 said:

Any suggestions please?

2mins 49 onwards I think.

Sounds fantastic!
    It does, but its not what Im after

2.49 onwards is EVH as you mentioned.

If that's not right - have you got a clip / vid of what you are looking for?

At 4.00 into this vid is in the ball park

https://youtu.be/Ash55CJDly0?si=dluGtKOTHDI85s4r

• JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4833
    paulnb57 said:
    At 4.00 into this vid is in the ball park

https://youtu.be/Ash55CJDly0?si=dluGtKOTHDI85s4r
    You've more-or-less answered your own question.
    JCM800 / SC20 mini and slam the front end with an SD-1 a GE-7.

Fixed again..

Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

Yup - JCM800 (or the Mini) boosted with a GE-7. That slight delay is really important too, gives it a very different sound to a dry signal.

That being said - the Joyo reaches overdrive a lot earlier than actual JCM800 - even the Mini version so a proper one might need a higher overall push from the GE-7 or a drive pedal.

Speakers will be important too. I can't see where that demo talks about them. He's probably using an IR for the recording. Eddie's used everything from Greenbacks to whatever was available.

edited July 16
    Yup - JCM800 (or the Mini) boosted with a GE-7. That slight delay is really important too, gives it a very different sound to a dry signal.

That being said - the Joyo reaches overdrive a lot earlier than actual JCM800 - even the Mini version so a proper one might need a higher overall push from the GE-7 or a drive pedal.

Speakers will be important too. I can't see where that demo talks about them. He's probably using an IR for the recording. Eddie's used everything from Greenbacks to whatever was available.

I only saw the attached vid this morning and Id reached the same conclusion so have ordered a Beringer EQ pedal to give it a try, I can get somewhere near with my mini Jubilee, so it will be interesting to see the effect (!) the EQ pedal makes, if its a goer, Ill prob upgrade to a Boss GE7…..then all I need is a single channel head!….would one of the other Studio Marshalls do the job? Would the Studio Classic do the job?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom