Buying used from.sound affects

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ChimpankieChimpankie Frets: 393
    Grampa said:
    Bought from them twice. Both times got a trade in value far in excess of the sale price I'd advertised on TFB. Very easy to deal with and luckily both purchases arrived superbly packed and in pristine condition. Wouldn't hesitate to use again.
    That surprises me, both times I had a quote from them for sale or consignment it was very low. Talking GuitarGuitar low. Re commission they did say they build in 10% negotiation on sale price.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1247
    andy1839 said:
    Last few orders, the guitars arrived damaged, dirty and not well set up. 

Used to be great. 
    Customer service did drop when Andy Wright left.  He was a top lad.
    Oh, didn't realise he'd gone. Have an old email to him in my drafts folder about selling my LP that I never got round to sending. Won't bother now!

Andy was polite, professional and very prompt with communication so that's a sad loss.

I really liked Tim too. I think he's the owner. Seemed very passionate and a real guitar fan (Rickenbackers in particular IIRC).

There's not much else in the North West these days. PMT in Salford never excites me and we've lost quite a few smaller shops.
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2294
    Basher said:
    andy1839 said:
    Last few orders, the guitars arrived damaged, dirty and not well set up. 

Used to be great. 
    Customer service did drop when Andy Wright left.  He was a top lad.
    Oh, didn't realise he'd gone. Have an old email to him in my drafts folder about selling my LP that I never got round to sending. Won't bother now!

Andy was polite, professional and very prompt with communication so that's a sad loss.

I really liked Tim too. I think he's the owner. Seemed very passionate and a real guitar fan (Rickenbackers in particular IIRC).

There's not much else in the North West these days. PMT in Salford never excites me and we've lost quite a few smaller shops.
    Andy left in 2019, I can't remember what he's doing now, but he was a brilliant guy.
    Tim is great too.

I think the market has changed a lot in the last five years too, which accounts for not getting the deals we used to.

The shop actually holds a bit of sentimentality for me for a guitar I bought there just after my Dad died. Completely by chance the guitar was made on his birthday and I didn't realise until I got it home.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 413
    Anyone done this?

How much wiggle room on list prove would you say?

I've seen something delicious 
    I've brought a few used guitars from them and in all cases I just rang and explained I was seriously interested so what was their best price for an immediate sale and in all cases I got a very good reduction (ranging from £200 to £500) on guitars in the +3k range. My usual strategy is to work out what I'm prepared to pay and offer that, which I always do with Coda, and on may occasions they accept. maybe I could have got more off but I was happy regardless.

I never pay the asking price on expensive items.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HenrytwangHenrytwang Frets: 478
    Some years ago I purchased a used Taylor acoustic guitar from them. The guitar was perfect and was shipped very quickly.
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3798
    I can't comment on their shipping (I'm only 15 miles away, so I always visit in person) but I've bought new and used and always had excellent service.  I've also been given fair trade in values.  Maybe too fair in one case as my old US Strat is still in stock more than a year on.
  • randellarandella Frets: 4713
    Basher said:

You're not wrong there. A1/Sound Control, Sounds Great at Heald Green, gone. Johnny Roadhouse has a bit of stuff, likewise Forsyth's but not a wild selection.

PMT's stock seems variable and it's always slightly bugged me that they claim to be in Manchester :lol:.
  • I don’t bother with them at all any more. 

Last 3 out of 5 orders they didn’t have the items I ordered despite listed as being in stock on the website. Once can be forgiven but 3 times on the bounce is a joke. Having to wait for refunds to be processed and then waiting for it to hit the bank again is frustrating. 

Order 4 went smoothly and then order 5 I bought a used amp for over a grand that they said was fully tested. Well it hadn’t been tested as the fx loop was completely shot.  Then they weren’t bothered when I rang them to let them know of the issues, no sorry about that just ‘Well we’ll just have to have it back then won’t we?’

Cant be dealing with a smug smart arse when I’ve parted with £1500 and they don’t give a shit. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • imalrightjackimalrightjack Frets: 3935

Cant be dealing with a smug smart arse when I’ve parted with £1500 and they don’t give a shit. 
    Exactly my experience. 
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • EpsilonEpsilon Frets: 686
    I was a little disappointed the one time I bought a preowned acoustic that they hadn't bothered to clean it or even change the strings. It's one thing when buying from ebay but it's the bare minimum I expect from a shop. 

Prices often seem to be on the high side.
  • *Aaron**Aaron* Frets: 91
    I brought a PJE Macon junior from them a couple of years ago. The guitar arrived the next day and was in the exact condition as described.
    I must admit I did not attempt to get the price down, probably a mistake not to have asked.
    I would get on the phone and have a chat with Tim or Paul. I have found them to be reasonable from my experience with SoundAffects.
  • DumodalDumodal Frets: 549
    I have done extensive deals with them, trading pedals and even shifting the ones that never sell, they were always great to deal with, straightforward and fair prices (pedals) so all good. 

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4960
    Not heard of Sound Affects before but I've just looked on their website and they have a good range of used gear.  Although prices are possibly a little towards the top-end, frankly these don't seem out of court coming from a reputable main store. Particularly if there's some sensible wiggle room, could be a good site to look in on from time to time.  :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5625
    edited July 17
    Tim has historically been a good guy and easy to deal with but I wonder if with all his other ventures he’s taken his eyes off the ball a little? He runs Cream T and has an interest in PJD Guitars I believe as well, plus possibly some other things. 
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25003
    Not that this answer’s the OP’s question directly - but I sold a PRS DGT through them last year and they were great.

There was some ‘wriggle room’ agreed in advance - they only used some of it - so I got beyond the minimum figure I wanted. 
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1101
    Thanks for all the feedback people. :)
  • ChimpankieChimpankie Frets: 393
    Whitecat said:
    Tim has historically been a good guy and easy to deal with but I wonder if with all his other ventures he’s taken his eyes off the ball a little? He runs Cream T and has an interest in PJD Guitars I believe as well, plus possibly some other things. 
    I think Tim was involved in UK Guitar Builders before it went south rather than PJD directly. Although I could never quite figure out the relationship between PJD and UKGB (except maybe UKGB built the PJDs?) I know when UKGB went under, PJD’s manufacturing shifted to a different site and their registered address changed. I’m glad PJD managed to survive, though. 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5625
    Whitecat said:
    I think Tim was involved in UK Guitar Builders before it went south rather than PJD directly. Although I could never quite figure out the relationship between PJD and UKGB (except maybe UKGB built the PJDs?) I know when UKGB went under, PJD’s manufacturing shifted to a different site and their registered address changed. I’m glad PJD managed to survive, though. 
    Yeah I couldn’t remember if he’d retained an interest in the restructure… possibly he didn’t! Cream T still a going concern though. 
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7406
    Whitecat said:
    Whitecat said:
    Yeah I couldn’t remember if he’d retained an interest in the restructure… possibly he didn’t! Cream T still a going concern though. 
     I think Cream T are made in the unit opposite Sound Affects too
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!