NAD - Marshall 1982 JCM800 4010 Combo

What's Hot
NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 879
This is my new to me 1982 all original Marshall JCM800 4010 50w combo. This is the ultimate Marshall sound in a VERY loud 1 x 12 combo. It has it's original G12-65 speaker. 

My late friend who left this to me was very handy with a soldering iron so he pulled it apart and hand wired it!  Sounds nice with a Les Paul a low volume. Looking forward to cranking this on Friday at band practice. 

Anyone tried one or own one?

That amp geeza on YT Johan says this is his desert island amp!

Let's go! 
Trading feedback - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/228538/neilybob

flanging_fed “
A Les Paul, @ThorpyFX ;;Veteran and the 4010 is awesome at volume, it’s like playing Thor’s hammer!” Ref Marshall JCM800 4010 combo 
0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• relic245relic245 Frets: 1037
    Nice score!

I borrowed one for a few gigs probably late 80's.

We were fortunate to be rehearsing in a big room within neighbours and I got to dime it for a while.

Lee Paul straight in, no FX and left with the biggest smile on my face.

It felt like the guitar was playing itself.

Ears have nearly stopped ringing now
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3169
    Ive been using mine as my main gigging amp for the past 10 years. It’s never let me down and sounds great. Mine is the later ‘horizontal’ input model.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7892
    Very cool 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1684
    Wonderful. I love those amps. 
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 879
    Thanks all. Seems to be a pretty special amp. 

flanging_fed “
    A Les Paul, @ThorpyFX ;;Veteran and the 4010 is awesome at volume, it’s like playing Thor’s hammer!” Ref Marshall JCM800 4010 combo 
    @Jonathangus I wonder how it would sound alongside your JMP.  

flanging_fed “
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4833
    Neilybob said:
    You read my mind.

Fight!  Fight!   :)
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Neilybob said:
    You read my mind.

Fight!  Fight!   :)
    Better warn the neighbours first lol 

flanging_fed “
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2362
    The amount of times I’ve nearly pulled the trigger on one of these. It’s just the no fx loop thing… (I know I could get it modded.) 
    Nerine said:
    The amount of times I’ve nearly pulled the trigger on one of these. It’s just the no fx loop thing… (I know I could get it modded.) 
    That is one big downfall about it and especially with that much overdrive. 

flanging_fed “
    You're never going to sell it.  It's already been pulled apart inside (gutshots, please!).  I say mod it.

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    You're never going to sell it.  It's already been pulled apart inside (gutshots, please!).  I say mod it.
    What mod would you do? FX loop?

flanging_fed “
    Exactly.  Metro zero-loss FX loop is the one.  If you don't want to drill the rear panel, do what I did and get Modulus to make a replacement.

Here's mine:

What I've done here is to remove/replace the old push-in connectors for voltage and impedance.  The voltage one has been removed altogether and the amp hardwired for 240V.  The impedance has been replaced with a chunky rotary switch (TAD in Germany sell a kit), which now occupies the chassis hole where the voltage selector was - there's a bit more room inside, as it now sits between two of the valves instead of right over one.  Then the loop has been fitted (not by me; big volts!) in the space where all the fancy script on the original backplate was, and which I didn't want to drill.  So it could all go back to original, and no-one would be any the wiser - not that I'll ever sell it.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Here's mine:

What I've done here is to remove/replace the old push-in connectors for voltage and impedance.  The voltage one has been removed altogether and the amp hardwired for 240V.  The impedance has been replaced with a chunky rotary switch (TAD in Germany sell a kit), which now occupies the chassis hole where the voltage selector was - there's a bit more room inside, as it now sits between two of the valves instead of right over one.  Then the loop has been fitted (not by me; big volts!) in the space where all the fancy script on the original backplate was, and which I didn't want to drill.  So it could all go back to original, and no-one would be any the wiser - not that I'll ever sell it.
    Who installed the fx loop? Can you recommend anyone locally if I go down that route? 

flanging_fed “
    Neilybob said:

Who installed the fx loop? Can you recommend anyone locally if I go down that route? 
    I initially asked Stuart at Berkshire Amp Repairs, but he did his best to dissuade me, and in the end I decided he didn't really want the job.  So I took the opportunity to visit Andy, and took it to Mike at Amploft in Bristol.

• BarquentineBarquentine Frets: 319
    I saw a mate of mine gigging in a small pub with the same model as yours and a few pedals and it sounded amazing even at a fairly modest volume. I had the channel switching model for a while and it was total crap.
    What pedal is the weapon of choice to boost these beauties?!

@jonathangus;;
    @FlangIng_Fred;;

flanging_fed “
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5103
    edited July 18
    Neilybob said:
    What pedal is the weapon of choice to boost these beauties?!

@jonathangus;;
    @FlangIng_Fred;;
    SD1 or TS9 for me, when it comes to Marshall

The KHDK Ghoul JR is a thing of beauty into a Marshall type circuit. Or you could go full prime era Maiden....

MXR Distortion+, MXR 10 band EQ and either a TS or MXR Microamp!

Dibs on your JCM800 by the way!!

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

Good ol' SD-1 here.  GE-7 works well, too.  If I ever get round to fixing my Guv'nor, I reckon that would be a good combo.