NAD - Marshall 1982 JCM800 4010 Combo

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• relic245relic245 Frets: 1037
    I’m loving a KOT clone into a Marshall.

this is a modern dsl not a icm so different animal but if you get the chance check one out. Of course that implies that any bluesbreaker derived pedal could be a good one to try.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3169
    edited July 19
    Neilybob said:
    What pedal is the weapon of choice to boost these beauties?!

@jonathangus;;
    @FlangIng_Fred;;
    It depends on how I’m using it.  When plugged into the ‘high’ input and with the gain dimed, the an SD1 sounds great. I very rarely use mine like that though. Believe it or not, I’ve never owned or even tried a tube screamer (or close clone) so I can’t comment on that.

If I’m using a humbucker equipped guitar, I’ll normally use the ‘low’ input and get my basic drive and boost tones from a a Paul C Tim pedal.  

I’ve also used a combination of sd1 and blues driver for boost and dirt. For me the sd1really only works when stacked with the blues driver for a boosted solo tone. I really don’t like the sd1 into the ‘low input’ channel on its own. I find it far too honky/boxy with that mid hump. 
  • NeilybobNeilybob Frets: 879
    Band practice has been canned today so it's just me, the 4010 combo, several TS style pedals, my usual pedalboard (The Vet, D&M Drive, ODR-1, M5,) and a Strat, a Les Paul and a explorer with high output pickups. 

This is gonna be fun! \m/ 
    Trading feedback - https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/228538/neilybob

flanging_fed “
    A Les Paul, @ThorpyFX ;;Veteran and the 4010 is awesome at volume, it’s like playing Thor’s hammer!” Ref Marshall JCM800 4010 combo 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4833
    Studio to yourself?  Nice!   =)
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Studio to yourself?  Nice!   =)
    I would love to say it's a studio but that's stretching the truth. It's a porta cabin on a busy trading estate but that still works. Just hope I don't roast in it today 

flanging_fed “
    A Les Paul, @ThorpyFX ;;Veteran and the 4010 is awesome at volume, it’s like playing Thor’s hammer!” Ref Marshall JCM800 4010 combo 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 19
    Neilybob said:
    Band practice has been canned today so it's just me, the 4010 combo, several TS style pedals, my usual pedalboard (The Vet, D&M Drive, ODR-1, M5,) and a Strat, a Les Paul and a explorer with high output pickups. 

This is gonna be fun! \m/ 
    A Les Paul, @ThorpyFX ;Veteran and the 4010 is awesome at volume, it’s like playing Thor’s hammer! 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4861
    edited July 19
    HNAD! These are great amps. I've played the 4210 which is the two channel version with reverb, fx loop and line outs and these things have that wonderful Marshall crunch and are incredibly loud.  But they're not exactly light amps - I looked it up and the 4210 is about 56.5lbs which is around 3lbs heavier than the 4010. My Valvetronix AD120VTX is around 58lbs and my Marshall DSL401 is around 53-54lbs (upgraded with Classic Lead 80) & I retired these from gigging because at 67 (in 2 weeks) with a bad back I simply can't schlep these up/down stairs and in/out cars anymore
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Voxman said:
    HNAD! These are great amps. I've played the 4210 which is the two channel version with reverb, fx loop and line outs and these things have that wonderful Marshall crunch and are incredibly loud.  But they're not exactly light amps - I looked it up and the 4210 is about 56.5lbs which is around 3lbs heavier than the 4010. My Valvetronix AD120VTX is around 58lbs and my Marshall DSL401 is around 53-54lbs (upgraded with Classic Lead 80) & I retired these from gigging because at 67 (in 2 weeks) with a bad back I simply can't schlep these up/down stairs and in/out cars anymore
    You definitely aren't wrong! It weighs a lot and it's as loud as hell! 

But man it sounds insanely good.  Managed to get the master volume at 12o'clock with the pre-amp volume on 6 using the low sensitivity input. Oddly I found I like all of other knobs all dimed. 

flanging_fed “
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4861
    edited July 20
    Neilybob said:
    Voxman said:
    You definitely aren't wrong! It weighs a lot and it's as loud as hell! 

But man it sounds insanely good.  Managed to get the master volume at 12o'clock with the pre-amp volume on 6 using the low sensitivity input. Oddly I found I like all of other knobs all dimed. 
    Although I've never owned the combo, a long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away! Lol) I did have a JCM800 head and (for a very short time) a 4 x12 slanted cab with greenbacks (it was just too big and heavy so sold it and got a 2x12).  And I always dimed the EQ too, it just sounded good and full that way. And I think this was something many JCM800 users found worked best too. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • RevolutionsRevolutions Frets: 429
    relic245 said:
    Prince of tone has knocked all other boost pedals into the ether when it comes to my JCM800 2205
     & JMP 224. Best boost ever.
    relic245 said:
    Prince of tone has knocked all other boost pedals into the ether when it comes to my JCM800 2205
     & JMP 224. Best boost ever.
    It was so fringing loud in the practice room I didn't get a chance to boost it with any. 

Not sure our drummer with his acoustic drum kit with stand a chance again this JCM800. 

flanging_fed “
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2362
    What’s the combo cabinet sound like? 

I’ve been tempted by one of these many times, but I recently had a ‘92 Silver Jubilee combo that was so boxy sounding it was essentially unusable. Through a proper sounding cab it was immense, but the Jube does have a smaller cabinet than these JCM 800s. 

Does it sound boxy or like the sound is notched full of lower midrange around 400Hz? 

I’d imagine it’s not as bad as the Jubilee, but have to ask. 
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1143
    I've had an '83 4010 for about 10 years and it's the best amp i've ever had by a mile. Added the Metro zero loss FX loop which let's you use a volume boost for leads and delay/reverb after the drive.

If you want a quick (and awesome) upgrade stick a 75w Creamback in it, for me sounds way better than the stock 65 and can handle the volume if you dare to get it above 3.

On the high input Gain about 7, stick a Bad Monkey or a TS9 in front and stand back - the best hard rock/metal sound. You don't need any presence at band volume, and i back the mid and treble off too once it gets loud.

The low input as a pedal platform is great too, gain on full gives a hint of breakup with humbuckers, loads of clean headroom with the gain on 8.

The 1x12 cab doesn't sound boxy at all to me, i A/B'd it with my old 78 JMP into a 4x12 at band volume and ended up selling the head and cab and keeping the 1x12 combo.

Nerine said:
    What’s the combo cabinet sound like? 

I’ve been tempted by one of these many times, but I recently had a ‘92 Silver Jubilee combo that was so boxy sounding it was essentially unusable. Through a proper sounding cab it was immense, but the Jube does have a smaller cabinet than these JCM 800s. 

Does it sound boxy or like the sound is notched full of lower midrange around 400Hz? 

I’d imagine it’s not as bad as the Jubilee, but have to ask. 
    Compared with running it in to a 4x12, then yes, it can sound ‘boxy’. Given pesky things like ‘physics’ I think it’s inevitable to some degree.  

I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad thing though.  In my case I play in small venues most of the time and the thump and power of a big cab can be difficult to control and mix in those environments. The more limited frequency range of the 1x12 helps keep thing tight in the mix IMO.

I do have to be mindful of my eq settings on the amp. Even though they are notoriously limited, I do find things balance better if I really back off the bass & mid range when using a Les Paul otherwise it gets pretty honky and unpleasant. When I use a Strat I push the mids up more. You just have to use your ears really.

The 1x12 cab doesn't sound boxy at all to me, i A/B'd it with my old 78 JMP into a 4x12 at band volume and ended up selling the head and cab and keeping the 1x12 combo.
    Agreed as I haven't ever played through a 4x12 so I can't comment. 

flanging_fed “