People who prioritised multiple versions of the same guitar model - any regrets?

What's Hot
willowillo Frets: 428
Every once in a while you see people who own multiple versions of the same guitar model, often in different configurations, instead of owning different models. For instance - owning a Broadcaster Tele, a 60s Tele, a Tele Deluxe and a Cabronita, instead of a strat, a tele, a LP and a Gretsch.

For those who've done this with any model:

- Do you have any regrets? Do you think you missed out on anything, or that your money could have been better spent? Why did you do this, and do you think that the compromises were worth it?

I ask because I'm increasingly feeling like the SG is the guitar for me. It's the one I enjoy playing the most and is ergonomically excellent. I'm tempted to swap out a couple of other non-SG types and replace them with modified SGs with different pickup variations.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28681
    I wouldn't want only one shape forever because I also want different bridges/trems and resonance characteristics. But I don't see any issue with multiple guitars of the same shape if it works for you, e.g. Regular, 72 Thinline and Cabronita Teles
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1759
    I have 6 Charvels... all pretty much the same shape, config and pickups... they are tools..  each guitar can perform every task I need from it...  they need to be interchangeable and as such work with my Helix without faff...

I have no need for a Les Paul for 5 songs, or a Tele for 2 songs...  I am not that guy..  I make my Charvels fit all scenarios.

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 660
    I've several Strats and all have different pickup combinations, but the one that definitely fits you bill is this that I conciously made in the spirit of a wide-range equiped Tele as I couldn't get past some of the ergonomings of the control layout of the Tele

https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/152718/partscaster-with-a-little-twist#latest
  • DavidRDavidR Frets: 835
    edited July 16
    Yeh. One of them has to be best. I’ve had several Yamaha FG’s in my life. Best one was the first one! Adore them. Annoyingsville, Arizona. Also the fact that they’re now too big to be comfortable for the older me. 

:-)

• PFAllen2PFAllen2 Frets: 252
    About a year ago I was looking for/ thinking about a new guitar and had got a Jazzmaster/Jaguar thought bouncing around my brain. I went and tried a few and quickly decided they weren't my cup of tea (joining Les Pauls in that catagory).

While driving between 2 shops I realised that I keep trying to buy the same guitar, ie Strat variants ( I have 2 Levinson Blades (SSS) and 2 Superstrats (HSS, HSH). And that, speaking for myself alone, there is nothing wrong with that. I did buy a Musicman Sterling Valantine that day,

If you really bond with the SG style, then just go for it. My preferences in guitars are mine, yours are different but equally valid, people who like the Strat,Tele,Les Paul collection, that's fine for them too.

Happy Shopping, Modding etc.
    Click here for my Trading Feedback
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2543
    edited July 16
    I've got 5 Les Pauls, and several other dual humbucker guitars.

I mainly play blues, rock, metal, so I've never really been drawn to other single-coil guitars, and when I have other guitars, they're cool but I'm still always going to pick up the Les Paul first. 

I've got an SG, but I'm debating whether it stays because it's always picked up after a Les Paul. Ditto the LP Jr, though that's such a good guitar it's staying for now.

I've got a Strat - I do love Strats, and will always want to have one around. I did have two, and that felt like too many - I want one thing out of a Strat, whereas with humbuckers I enjoy the different flavours.

I had a Tele, but again, it never got picked up.

I like variety, but within parameters of familiarity and comfort.

So no regrets, and I don't think I'm missing out for what I want to play and get out of playing, and I'm comfortable that I've tried most things. I might go for another Tele again one day if I were playing more classic rock stuff and needed to balance against another humbucking guitar. I really want to try a Firebird... but yeah, Les Pauls are home and do almost everything I want (the need for the occasional 7 string or shred-stick aside).

So if an SG is home for you, then I think it's perfectly acceptable to have a few with slight variations - P90s, different flavours of humbucker, and most importantly, different colours!  =)
    Tim
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2587
    I've got 2 telecasters and a strat. The telecasters are very different from each other (one ash with a maple fretboard, one alder with rosewood, and different pickup combinations).

I've owned a Les Paul, a Les Paul special, and an SG, as well as a Gordon Smith Les Paul, a partscaster strat and an American Standard Tele. 

I find I don't get along with shorter scale guitars, and generally prefer single coils, and don't really feel I'm missing out on anything with what I've got. 

I also found when I switched from a Tele to a Les Paul I had to adjust all my amp and pedal settings, which was a pain

Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6462
    Calling @Arrowhead
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7973
    Go with what feels ergonomically best for you, because that’s what you’ll enjoy playing most. 

You can vary the sound between similar guitars quite a bit if you use significantly different pickups on each, so it’s not much of an issue. 
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1687
    I’ve had multiple strats and multiple Les Pauls and derivatives, but at the end of the day I have finite spaces and seemingly infinite curiosity, so my toolset has evolved towards maximum diversity: one strat, one Les Paul, one semi hollow, one tele, one Gretsch with filtertrons, a P90 experiment and an acoustic. I’ve got space for one more guitar but I do hope I can keep it empty. 
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25052
    Did you see this video from The Guitaristas?  From about 25:00 onwards, Colin concludes that his preference for SGs is all about where his chin lines up with the fretboard:

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1771
    Like others on here, I own several guitars :3

While I really like the different shapes and sizes, none fit me as well as a Fender scale 25.5. So thst's strat, tele, jazz. They're the only electrics I have multiples of. Truth be told, they cover everything but I like SG's, Gretsch, Danos and others too. Just not in the same way.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • stylesforfreestylesforfree Frets: 228
    edited July 16
    If you like the SG feel, neck and shape of the body and how light and thin it is, then of course if you're looking for another guitar with different pickups it's pretty much a no brainer to go for another SG. I have an SG tribute with humbuckers and im now looking at an SG special because I want to try something out with P90's, the SG is a guitar im familiar with in weight and feel so I am naturally drawn to another model with different pickups.

I can also say the same for Telecasters, I have two, one with mini humbuckers and one has single coil tele pups, if I saw a nice Tele with P90's and a rosewood or ebony fretboard I would be all over it.

But in reality I am not looking to buy anymore guitars now so I have to reel in my GAS somewhat. BUT....I would like to try out a nice stratocaster.

I have previously owned a couple of different archtops and a Jazzmaster (yuck). I currently own a Gretsch with dearmond/dynasonics. The only other guitars I would like to try out are a firebird style and a Les Paul style guitar.
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3219
    It makes perfect sense to me to have different flavours of the same guitar…
    I have 4 Les Paul shaped objects
    A Yamaha Lord Player 600, bog standard
    A Tokai neck and body, cobbled together with parts from the stash JB and Jazz HBs 2 vols, one tone
    A Hagstrom with 2 HBs and a sort of varitone switch
    A Hosco bolt on with Val Tone SC’s

5 Teles
    A Fender Blacktop with 2 HBs
    A GSP all mahogany with a single HB
    A GSP Chambered Swamp Ash body with a fat Allparts Strat neck, a thinline without an F hole and a single HB
    A Snakehead with an eBay body made from an old Meranti front door and a custom neck from Corvus with a single JB Jr 
    3 Fender Set neck Esquire Customs 2 have the same spec buy different colours

5 SG’s
    A Gibson SG Jr with P90
    A Gibson Special Faded with 490 HBs
    A Future Tribute with 57 HBs 
    A second Future Tribute same as above but stripped of finish and oiled
    A GSP SG Jr with a mini hum

All similar but different..

There are a few others gut only one of each….

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 10090
    Personally, I never quite understand it…

Id prefer to sell most of the guitars, and get a really good one or two. A dream guitar, or one that speaks to you.
    Thats my strategy, anyway.

Each to their own I guess =)
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3846
    I've tried different stuff over the years but come to the conclusion I'm a Strat man and I'm OK with that. 
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1771
    Neil said:
    I've tried different stuff over the years but come to the conclusion I'm a Strat man and I'm OK with that. 

"Ba da Ba da bo, Beee ba pa ba da doh, Ba pa ba da doh.

I'm a Strat Man"

:)
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3668

Id prefer to sell most of the guitars, and get a really good one or two. A dream guitar, or one that speaks to you.

In this forum there are several people who own a really good dozen or two (or more!) dream guitars. Some of us are guitar players, some are guitar collectors, some are both.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 34308
    carlos said:

In this forum there are several people who own a really good dozen or two (or more!) dream guitars. Some of us are guitar players, some are guitar collectors, some are both.

+1.

I have 5 Teles and 4 (soon to be 5) Forshages, a pair of Andersons (used to be 5) but they are all slightly different.

Teles are 2x Kinman with Harmonic Design pickups (P90 esque), one CS Nocaster Thinline, one self built blackguard, one Warmoth partscaster.
    The Forshages- one is a hollow body with tornipulator circuit, one is a solid with the same circuit, two are headless guitars, one hollow, one solid.
    I've got about 10 more electrics as well, but from different brands (PRS, Suhr, amongst others).

Same with amps- I've got 3 Matchless amps- two combos (Lightning and Nighthawk) and a Laurel Canyon Head, plus various other things (CAA, Bogner, Friedman, Suhr, Marshall, Fender, Jet City etc).
    Nothing is an exact copy of anything else but I can substitute things and still get by.

I have a show in Cumbria on Friday night and I'm taking one Forshage and one Kinman most likely, and one of the Matchless combos. I could take other things and be just as happy- some of the choices are down to how I am feeling at the time, the set etc.

Having multiple versions of similar guitars/amps means that after a show I don't *have* to unpack everything to use when I get back to the studio. I can just load into the machine room where they are ready for the next rehearsal or gig.
    It also means then when things are being worked on (the CS Thinline is having some fretwork done right now) I am not short.

None of the instruments or amps are 'compromises' in that I bought them because I couldn't afford something else.
    I agree with Waz on one point, get the thing you want, rather than the compromise, because you will end up getting it anyway.

A lot of the people here with good collections or nice instruments are not young men.
    There is no way that 20 year old me could have this sort of collection.
    When I was in my 20's I remember playing support to a group where the guitarist had 4 really nice Gibsons, 2 LP's, an SG and a Flying V. They weren't vintage but just someone owning 4 guitars seemed like absolute luxury to me.
    So yeah, 20+ instruments sounds like a lot, but is buying less than one a year a real extravagance if it is your main interest/hobby, or your job (or both)?

The longer I've done this the more I've got away from a 'I need to have one of every guitar type' mentality.
    I used to have than mindset, which probably came from doing some session work in the 90's and 00's.
    But now session musician isn't really a thing and my playing has evolved so that I know what I want to be playing and have the tools to do it. When I gig no one cares if I use a Tele on one song, or a LP on another. As long I can play the parts and it sounds good then it is fiiiiiiine. So I choose things I like to play.

The one thing I seem to avoid that I see here a lot is people selling things to get something else and regretting it.
    I've only really regretted selling one instrument, the Warmoth tele which I sold to @TimmyO about 3 years after putting it together. I bought it back from the person he sold it to (after randomly finding it on eBay) for what I sold it for.

Now if I am not using something I really think about whether I will ever use it.
    Most of the time the answer is yes and it just gets put aside until that happens. 
    I sell an instrument very rarely only when I am certain that I won't come back to it and that is usually because it has a feature that I just don't get on with, like a floyd.

Something I don't get is the 'I didn't bond with it' idea.
    This might be an unpopular take but that seems to usually come from people who don't really put in the work as a player.
    I am not surprised guitars end up getting sold if you only practice rarely and don't have any sort of structure to your playing.
    Except for 2 of the Forshages and the things I've built myself 100% of my guitars are someone else's cast offs. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 8094
    octatonic said:

The one thing I seem to avoid that I see here a lot is people selling things to get something else and regretting it.
    I've only really regretted selling one instrument, the Warmoth tele which I sold to @TimmyO about 3 years after putting it together. I bought it back from the person he sold it to (after randomly finding it on eBay) for what I sold it for.

Ha - and I'd actually previously searched to see if I could track it down in between I think - it's a fantastic spec - I don't think I've come across another chambered (not f-holed), contoured Tele body since and it really worked. 

I've fallen foul of sellers-regret a bunch of times - I just can't usually either afford or make room to keep things.  Or that's what I've usually told myself. 
    Red ones are better.