NGD, that’s G for Gretsch

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 583
    What a beautiful looking guitar . . . Great staging & photo's by the way - Kudos
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1247
    Jimbro66 said:
    Oops, post cut short.

Anyway, HNGD. That's a fabulous guitar.

I had a 53VS at the same time as my Gallup sig Duo Jet. Both were identical construction with the same extensive '50s' chambering but the 53 was 7lbs and the Gallup was 8lbs. I never figured out why. Both were superb guitars.

Great photography Daz. You should take it up as a living lol
    I read somewhere, in an article about Les Paul's iirc, that two identically sized pieces of mahogany could differ in weight by a factor of five! I think that mineral uptake by the tree was cited as the main reason. I don't know how true this is as a fivefold weight increase seems amazing but I suppose it would easily explain why identical sized LPs could weigh between 7 and 12lbs. 

It just strikes me as odd that there can be such a big weight difference in Jets as they're so very heavily chambered. I'm not comparing like with like though and maybe the Electromatics are less chambered than the Japanese or US models. 
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2478
    Basher said:  It just strikes me as odd that there can be such a big weight difference in Jets as they're so very heavily chambered. I'm not comparing like with like though and maybe the Electromatics are less chambered than the Japanese or US models. 
    The Vintage select Jets mimic the extensive chambering of the original guitars but the Electromatics, and even earlier Prolines, have less chambering.
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1101
    The Japanese Gretsch's are unbelievable guitars. My Falcon is my number one.

Congratulations!
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 6226
    Thank you all for the lovely comments on the pics! Of all the things I’ve got to shoot over the years, I’ve never had a gig to shoot guitars. Maybe that’s why it’s still something fun to do? 

I’m a huge fan of the Japanese Gretsches, didn’t mean to suggest the were anything but a high class option. 

The polished/unpolished magnet issue is really interesting @OilCityPickups. In a fabulously nerdy way of course. The ones in the VS are TVJ rather than in house Gretsch like @Keefy’s but the very same raw top to the magnets. 

IMG_2125.jpeg 437.4K