New Nacho Day

What's Hot
chris78chris78 Frets: 9794
edited July 24 in Guitar
I thought I’d do a follow up to this thread https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/267852/incoming-nacho-caster#latest

My Nachocaster arrived this morning, following customs payment. The guitar cost me £6,400 inc shipping and customs. The price of entry is not cheap.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/q86c9usjedteov3dpheuh/IMG_2390.jpeg?rlkey=1pzsbcqvozmr60pz77wqln1bx&st=ghic4b2j&raw=1

Typical tweed case, some nice candy with a nacho t shirt, wax sealed certificate and candy, including original black guard orders from fender, receipts, letters to agents etc. Nice touch.

The guitar weighs a superb 6lbs 13 oz

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/74v3vnanoaridflqk66bp/IMG_2395.jpeg?rlkey=lhpq0hcg4sdp3h8afmimn9cvd&st=g77spf2g&raw=1

Ive only had it this morning since 8.45, so these are initial impressions only after 30 mins play because I’ve had work getting in the way of my new guitar!

The first thing to say is that this neither looks or feels like an aged Fender custom shop guitar. I’ve taken some side by sides:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/z7nlrh75ijpket1yhwt6z/IMG_2391.jpeg?rlkey=ryo04myqiv05ir9bcq4yyn88g&st=8ob672t7&raw=1
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/sx07e42kscrs39h1ipbjp/IMG_2392.jpeg?rlkey=xk32limes6cnbtaqlz3hnltoy&st=8y9rz0ee&raw=1

The ageing work is incomparable. It’s obvious much more time has been taken over the colour, the wear and thought about how vintage guitars wear. The back of the neck tells the story of a cowboy chord player and isn’t just sanded where fender feel like it. There is no bare wood, there’s lacquer all over, albeit worn, like an old guitar. 

The neck nacho calls a soft v. It’s a pretty hard v, especially by the nut, softening to a more c shape towards the top. It’s more rudimentary and basic and feels nothing like the ridiculous u shaped neck fender use on nocasters. Honestly, it’ll take a little getting used to. It is large, but not unwieldy. 

The frets are medium. Again, as an owner of lots of modern guitars, we’re putting bigger and bigger train tracks on. These aren’t teeny, but they’re different to what I normally have. There is more fight in the guitar and a slightly less smooth playing experience as a result. Not an issue, but different. 

The pickups, he’s nailed. The star is actually the neck pickup, which can sound woolly, dull and just not nice on a modern tele. This is musical, flutey and takes drive well. Who needs a Strat with a neck pickup this good? The bridge is exactly what you’d expect - bright, twangy, growly. Classic early blackguard. 

I’d say these won’t be for everyone, but anyone who wants to get as close as humanly possible to a real blackguard should try one. Modern fenders, regardless of whether they’re American vintage, team or master built simply aren’t coming close, and probably deliberately so as many people will want a smoother playing more modern guitar, not a vintage one.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/r83s9q6u9aawup0prgvje/1805-1_53843299194_o.jpg?rlkey=0fszhj96h56hq4l86bujytact&st=76tmq91q&raw=1
0reaction image LOL 19reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Alex2678Alex2678 Frets: 1183
    Looks beautiful, congrats. It’s got the same kind of ground in dirt that I always compliment Scott at Golden Era on, the chips and wear marks look like they happened years ago rather than ‘just now with a scalpel’. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7237
    Looks great, have fun with it.
  • mo6020mo6020 Frets: 484
    What a stunner. Congrats man. 
    "Filthy appalachian goblin."

https://edmorgan.info
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15020
    tFB Trader
    Sometimes the 'wow' button is not enough - Need a super wow, certainly based on its aesthetics 

Reading your comments the only issue that would make me nervous is the fret size - Not convinced that the 'fight' is what I'd want, but appreciate a matter of taste and maybe needing to spend some time with it - Agree we maybe going a bit OTT with frets to big - But to small is not familiar territory for me - I hope it isn't an issue for you

Thanks for the update - Enjoy spending more time with it 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2483
    Side by side the Nacho makes the CS Broadcaster look like an MIM Roadworn. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • That’s superb. I had no idea the body shape would be that different though! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • pluckbuddypluckbuddy Frets: 323
    Looks amazing. And seems like a guitar you'll have to spend some time adapting to and getting to know, which I'm sure will be all the more rewarding for it.

My favourite guitar currently is one that I initially wasn't too keen on the neck profile, but I liked the way the different feel changed the way I played. Now I love the neck profile. 
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9794
    Sometimes the 'wow' button is not enough - Need a super wow, certainly based on its aesthetics 

Reading your comments the only issue that would make me nervous is the fret size - Not convinced that the 'fight' is what I'd want, but appreciate a matter of taste and maybe needing to spend some time with it - Agree we maybe going a bit OTT with frets to big - But to small is not familiar territory for me - I hope it isn't an issue for you

Mark, if you fancy a try, I’m staying by you in a couple of weeks. Could drop by the shop.

Strat54 said:
    Absolutely great description!
  • PALPAL Frets: 569
    Very very nice.
    tFB Trader
    chris78 said:

Mark, if you fancy a try, I’m staying by you in a couple of weeks. Could drop by the shop.

Strat54 said:
    Contact me as/when you are around and maybe meet up for a coffee/beer etc - Don't go out of the way with the guitar, but would be more than happy to give it a test drive - Hopefully we can cross path's soon 
    chris78 said:

Strat54 said:
    Contact me as/when you are around and maybe meet up for a coffee/beer etc - Don't go out of the way with the guitar, but would be more than happy to give it a test drive - Hopefully we can cross path's soon 
    Will do, Mark. Will give you a call.
    tFB Trader
    chris78 said:
    chris78 said:

Strat54 said:
    Will do, Mark. Will give you a call.
    sounds good
  • CountryDaveCountryDave Frets: 872
    That looks ace.
    Happy new guitar day.
  • BobHillmanBobHillman Frets: 238
    I don't generally like "relic" finishes on guitars, but that is just something completely different. HNGD!
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2485
    That’s superb. I had no idea the body shape would be that different though! 
    Interesting! Not being a Tele expert, what am I not seeing? The upper shoulder...?

Agree with the other comment about CS looking MIM in comparison.
    Tim
  • NerineNerine Frets: 2362
    The fretboard wear on the Fender looks daft side by side.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12893
    I have to say the relic-ing (of which I'm not usually a fan) is the most convincing I've seen.  To me, that looks like a well-used ~60 year-old Fender.
  • joeWjoeW Frets: 526
    Happy NGD - that's unreal.  Makes the CS look like a really factory formula relic.  If it didn't feel unfamiliar, then is wouldn't be accurate, but if there was ever a guitar that was worth spending time to get comfortable with its this.  
    Enjoy in good health
  • Th4fonzTh4fonz Frets: 269
    edited July 25
    That’s a beauty.  I hope the neck works out for you..

I would have thought if it doesn’t you can just contact the guy and swap the neck for another profile.
    Nerine said:
    The fretboard wear on the Fender looks daft side by side.  
    Honestly, I can barely even look at my custom shops. They just look awful by comparison.

Th4fonz said:
    That’s a beauty.  I hope the neck works out for you..

I would have thought if it doesn’t you can just contact the guy and swap the neck for another profile.
    I’m already there with it to be honest. I had a tiny bit of cramp initially which is unheard of for me, but it’s already had a few hours last night and today and it feels totally comfortable.