Excel help

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24841
edited July 26 in Off Topic
Hi.

I've got a spreadsheet with three columns and several thousand rows.  I want to create a line graph with the date & time on the x axis and the values in columns B & C on the y axis.

Column A is a date and time field in the format "dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm:ss"

Columns B & C contain the data I want to chart.

Selecting all three columns and trying to create a chart from that creates a mess.  It's something to do with column A.

If I leave column A out, it makes a line graph but I need the date & time in. 

How can I edit column A so it works when I create a chart please? 

The other issue is this data has one row per minute of time, so that's 1440 rows per day.  Once I manage to get a line chart out of it, the x axis is going to be rammed with thousands of labels.  I really have to have the text on the x axis cut right back to say, hourly marks or even less otherwise it's going to illegible. 

How can I edit the axis labels to do this? 

Many thanks in advance!
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 4017
    Think you want to use an "X Y Scatter" Chart, that should make column A the labels

Once you've created it you can then edit the axes to only show labels every 100 (or other number) data points
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24841
    The first problem is getting a graph out of it!  With column A formatted as it is, I don't even get any lines - just a blank graph with what looks like a text heading made up of thousands of values from the data columns!

To edit the axis double click on it and in the Units area select Major - it's not very obvious :)

P.S. I used a Mac version, yours may have slightly different terminology 
    Emp_Fab said:
    The first problem is getting a graph out of it!  With column A formatted as it is, I don't even get any lines - just a blank graph with what looks like a text heading made up of thousands of values from the data columns!
    As a test can you change Column A to be 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.?

If you can share the file happy to take a look? But understand that you may not be able to if it's for work
  • vizviz Frets: 10827
    Does it work if you just do A and B? Does B contain the number 1 only? As in, “at 2pm on the 13th, there was 1 event”
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29408
    So is it two series of data against a timeline? 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28140
    edited July 26
    It’s because Excel is a POS with times for some reason. 

Best I can do so far is to reformat Col A to just show you the time (the day will still be there in the formula bar but you won’t see it in the cell. Then your chart will work. 

Then you can fix the axis by right clicking it, going to format axis, labels and specifying an interval (in minutes) that makes sense for your data 

(apols for camera caps - my excel is on the work machine but I can't upload pics direct from there) 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • vizviz Frets: 10827
    edited July 26
    If you make a graph with just B and C, then right-click on the graph and click on “select data”, and then click on one of the column names, select “axis”, then select column A on the spreadsheet itself, does that work?
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    It is indeed two series of data against a timeline. 

There's several suggestions here so I'll do my best to give a combined response..

Here is a shot of part of the data: 

And if I just select the data in columns B & C and insert a line chart, I get this.....

• swillerswiller Frets: 1544
    you need column headers on the dataset empfab. Then it wont get so confused.
    Dont worry, be silly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Tried that.  Makes no difference at all.

In your second screenshot it doesn’t look like you selected all of column B, just B21? That’s why you see 21.76 as the chart title 

But I think you still need to use an xy type, not line for your dataset. 
    I added headers as @swiller suggested, chose a scatter graph as @drofluf suggested, and changed to a line scatter. That made something fairly sensible. 
    It's not me that's selecting only B21 in that shot.  That's what it changes to once I insert the chart.  I am selecting all the data, including the headers (or without. Makes no difference) and then Insert, Chart.  I then get that weird chart and the selection changes to show all of column C in blue and that one cell in column B in red. 

I've just tried what Sporky suggested - headers, scatter etc and it basically does the same thing! 

I've even copied the data into notepad then pasted it back into a fresh sheet to remove any formatting data and it does the same thing!

edited July 26
    If I go to edit the chart, it gives me this box...  I'm sure the secret lies in here but I'm not clever enough to work it out.

Emp_Fab said:

I've just tried what Sporky suggested - headers, scatter etc and it basically does the same thing! 

Leave the time column in too, and select all three columns' worth. 
    I added the first column back, selected everything, insert, chart, scatter.....

• swillerswiller Frets: 1544
    edited July 26
    the data colums are showing what is selected for the graph, there is only one cell (a30) selected for column A which shows in red square,. Need to have all data in all columsn selected.

e2a suggest delete graph, select data and insert graph for a fresh one.
    Dont worry, be silly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4833
    Looking at those screenshots, the numbers in columns B and C are aligned left, which suggests Excel could be treating them as text, not numbers.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom