Excel help

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24841
    Anyone know where I can upload a copy of it so can play with the file yourselves?
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10827
    Emp_Fab said:
    If I go to edit the chart, it gives me this box...  I'm sure the secret lies in here but I'm not clever enough to work it out.

Yes, do what I said. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 4017
    Emp_Fab said:
    appears to be deleted?

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28140
    Emp_Fab said:
    I added the first column back, selected everything, insert, chart, scatter.....

Ok, so firstly, do what I suggested as plan A… it's the right answer. 

But if you want to understand it better.... what’s happening here is it’s reading the red section as your data name, and a20:b20 and c20 as data. 

Going into the select data box, you want to click Edit under horizontal axis labels and select your column a data there. 

Then delete everything in the left hand box. 

Then click Add, set data name to B1 and B1:B[end of range] as the data range. Then do the same for col C

The biggest issue is that Excel can't show times on an axis when it sees col A as Date-Time, it needs to know you want it represented as Time alone. I suspect this is because showing minute-wise data across multiple days isn't good practice for large data sets like this. 

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    drofluf said:
    Emp_Fab said:
    appears to be deleted?

PM incoming

Emp_Fab said:
    I added the first column back, selected everything, insert, chart, scatter.....

Ok, so firstly, do what I suggested as plan A… it's the right answer. 

But if you want to understand it better.... what’s happening here is it’s reading the red section as your data name, and a20:b20 and c20 as data. 

Going into the select data box, you want to click Edit under horizontal axis labels and select your column a data there. 

Then delete everything in the left hand box. 

Then click Add, set data name to B1 and B1:B[end of range] as the data range. Then do the same for col C

The biggest issue is that Excel can't show times on an axis when it sees col A as Date-Time, it needs to know you want it represented as Time alone. I suspect this is because showing minute-wise data across multiple days isn't good practice for large data sets like this. 

Ok - thanks for the help mate (and everyone).  Changing the cell format of column A to just hh:mm:ss doesn't fix the graph.

Doing what you've detailed above;  Select Data, edit Horizontal Axis Labels to the A column data, then clicking on 'Remove' in the left box deletes everything - including the edited right box contents.

Ok, weird as it worked on my system. Feel free to ping it over and I'll have a proper look!

I think I see the problem. There's a warning on each cell in columns B & C that says "number stored as text". I can change cell by dell but that's a pain for the size of your dataset
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Ok, weird as it worked on my system. Feel free to ping it over and I'll have a proper look!

Unique link coming via PM  =)

And a solution!

Put the number 1 into a spare cell

Copy it

Then do Paste Special>Multiply
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4833
    drofluf said:
    I think I see the problem. There's a warning on each cell in columns B & C that says "number stored as text". I can change cell by dell but that's a pain for the size of your dataset
    Ahem...
    Looking at those screenshots, the numbers in columns B and C are aligned left, which suggests Excel could be treating them as text, not numbers.
     ;) 
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    YESSS!!!

Success!!

Thank you Drofluf!

How the hell did you find that out?

Emp_Fab said:
    YESSS!!!

Success!!

Thank you Drofluf!

How the hell did you find that out?
    In my version of excel there was a little green triangle on the top left corner of the offending cells, I hovered over and got the warning message. 

The multiply by 1 (other arithmetic operations are possible) was I trick I’ve used when I’ve had similar data issues. Weirdly they also behaved as numbers on my initial check when I added columns b & c together 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Bizarre.  The data came from an ancient system and  the newest export format it has is Excel v8! (It also offered Lotus 123 options!).

I expect importing that into the latest Excel was a less than perfect operation. 

Strange - I tried setting the cell formats to number and that didn't help but doing what you did fixed it.

edited July 26
    Does the old system have a csv export option? Often the safest choice. 

Format in Excel is essentially a presentation tool, it doesn’t change the underlying data 
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 4833
    drofluf said:
    This.  I train users on a system which has an 'export to Excel' feature - and doing so always breaks all the number formats.  The answer is always to ignore Excel and choose CSV, then open the CSV file and save as Excel.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

I will take that on board.  Thank you to everyone for your kind assistance.

drofluf said:
    This.  I train users on a system which has an 'export to Excel' feature - and doing so always breaks all the number formats.  The answer is always to ignore Excel and choose CSV, then open the CSV file and save as Excel.
    Ah this takes me back to my days of packaging tariffs, bringing clients’ SAP extracts (or worse!) into our in-house system. Every single file always had problems, and always unique to each client, even if they were using the same system as another… 

CSV was always the path of least resistance!!
    drofluf said:
    Ah this takes me back to my days of packaging tariffs, bringing clients’ SAP extracts (or worse!) into our in-house system. Every single file always had problems, and always unique to each client, even if they were using the same system as another… 

CSV was always the path of least resistance!!
    Until there’s a comma in the source data….
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom