Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Blackstar enters the trough of disillusionment

What's Hot
gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895
edited November 2014 in Amps
Seems to me people are quite down on Blackstar these days, having been the golden boy for the longest time. Quite a few comments in the Worst Gear Mistakes thread along the lines of "bought a Blackstar" etc.

Reaction to too much marketing hype? Or just our British reaction to people being "too successful"? Or is the honeymoon just over...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• MDKVMDKV Frets: 56
    Peaks and troughs, peaks and troughs. 
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Troughs and peaks i guess...
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17636
    tFB Trader
    I don't think anything has changed. 

There has been a lot of negativity about Blackstar going right back to the MR days. 

I think a lot of it comes from Guitarist giving everything they made a gold award for years and then people disappointed as they have a very Marmite sound.  
    They'd be ok if they could "do" clean.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a Blackstar T-Shirt. Fits well, decent fabric. 

Not too sure about the Monkey though.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunk said:
    They'd be ok if they could "do" clean.

is there an opposite to a wisdom? Have a non-wisdom. Artisan 30s cleans are wonderful.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Another classic case of don't believe the hype , for me anyway.

Laney all the way for small amps - lc/vc/cub range.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24811
    edited November 2014
    In spite of some of their 'optimistic' advertising claims -'Pure valve distortion' was my favourite Blackstar oxymoron - I think they are a decent company, which makes decent products.

Some of their cheaper amps are really well put together (given their price) - and at worse - sound decent.

The fact that a knackered second hand market means often quite high end amps (from other makers) are available for very little money probably doesn't help.

I wish them success.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10418
    I see a lot of Blackstar products here in the studio and most people seem very happy with them .
    The little HT five for me has proved to be the perfect giging amp and for what it cost me I'm very happy with it
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • They are marmite, but David Gilmour has a Blackstar pedal.

Just saying.

They're reliable, loud and decent sounding and well priced. The ht range is very marmite, the series ones are the same. They do a 200 watt kt88 amp which, I have to wonder, is it a Marshall major...?

If so, you can't hate it!

The ht metal pedal is astounding. Honestly, awesome crunch.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    blueskunk said:
    Another classic case of don't believe the hype, for me anyway.

Laney all the way for small amps - lc/vc/cub range.
    I find Laney over-hyped and over-rated too, with the possible exception of the Iommi model and the Lionhearts - although neither is particularly well-built.

Blackstar are OK - pretty well-made mostly, and good enough sounding. I just don't find the tone inspiring in any way, they seem to lack 'life' - that includes the Artisans, which are very well made. The main negativity for me revolves around the questionable advertising and marketing though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    edited November 2014
    They are marmite, but David Gilmour Gassage has a Blackstar pedal.

Just saying
    This post is bought to you with the letters AGES and the insight of the Gods. :-)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    edited November 2014
    ThePrettyDamned;405535" said:
    They are marmite, but David Gilmour has a Blackstar pedal.

Just saying.

They're reliable, loud and decent sounding and well priced. The ht range is very marmite, the series ones are the same. They do a 200 watt kt88 amp which, I have to wonder, is it a Marshall major...?

If so, you can't hate it!

The ht metal pedal is astounding. Honestly, awesome crunch.

DG has every soddin pedal going.

I bet he even has a box full of Behringer gear that he hides under the bed from his missus.

As for Blackstar I have tried but never bought, but I was impressed with what I did play.
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    The brand does not speak to me
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Seems to me people are quite down on Blackstar these days, having been the golden boy for the longest time. Quite a few comments in the Worst Gear Mistakes thread along the lines of "bought a Blackstar" etc.

Reaction to too much marketing hype? Or just our British reaction to people being "too successful"? Or is the honeymoon just over...
    They've made it and can now join the ranks of Marshall who haven't made a decent amp since the 80s ... the British just love to moan and put successful firms down. I own a HT-5 and have tried some of bigger combos. They sound decent amps to my ears and are priced competitively. What's not to like ...

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had a Series One 45 combo and really liked it. Great tone, loud and fun.
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited November 2014
    I have the HT-1 and find it small, light and a fantastic foot warmer whilst having an afternoon noodle.

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471

i've had the HT5 head...it sounded rubbishg through their own cabs, but i put it through an Orange 2x12 and that seemed to wake it up...but like @ICBM says, they sound lifeless.

having said, I've also heard a series 1 100w, with El34's...that sounded like a proper amp.

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12364
    I've had a 20w a 5w and a 1w I think they sound like an overdrive pedal with a speaker.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"