Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Blackstar enters the trough of disillusionment

What's Hot

Comments

• I like Marmite and my HT 5 ... just saying
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    They are marmite, but David Gilmour Gassage has a Blackstar pedal.

Just saying
    This post is bought to you with the letters AGES and the insight of the Gods. :-)
    Not sure who they are....I thought Blackstar was a euphemism for Denzil Washington.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeeTeeDeeTee Frets: 764
    They do a particular sound well, in my experience, and if that's not the sound you're looking for you won't be happy. I think the problem is a lot of reviews just made out they were all things to all people, which no musical instrument or accessory can be be.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2359
    edited November 2014
    I don't think anything has changed. 

There has been a lot of negativity about Blackstar going right back to the MR days. 

I think a lot of it comes from Guitarist giving everything they made a gold award for years and then people disappointed as they have a very Marmite sound.  
    +1

Also the dodgy (IMO) advertising of saying (or at least, very strongly implying) that some of their amps (and pedals) were all-valve when they weren't.

ICBM said:
     The main negativity for me revolves around the questionable advertising and marketing though.
    Beaten to it. :))
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2734
    ICBM said:
    blueskunk said:
    Another classic case of don't believe the hype, for me anyway.

Laney all the way for small amps - lc/vc/cub range.
    I find Laney over-hyped and over-rated too, with the possible exception of the Iommi model and the Lionhearts - although neither is particularly well-built.

Blackstar are OK - pretty well-made mostly, and good enough sounding. I just don't find the tone inspiring in any way, they seem to lack 'life' - that includes the Artisans, which are very well made. The main negativity for me revolves around the questionable advertising and marketing though.
    I concur.

The build quality of much of Laney's output is in my opinion questionable.

Like ICBM I consider Blackstar products to be well built, but sonically fairly uninspiring. However, my guess is that I'm not the Blackstar target market!

• GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    I have to be blunt here- my only experience of Blackstar was dreadful. I bought the little combo and it was utter dogwank.

I couldn't get rid of it quickly enough. I'd take a Cube over anything I've heard from them thus far.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• dilbertdilbert Frets: 203
    jpfamps said:
    I concur.

The build quality of much of Laney's output is in my opinion questionable.

I overhauled my LC30II last year and the build quality of the cabinet simply beggars belief.  
  • Interesting, I hated the cube and like the HT 5.. Depends what you want I suppose.
  • JohnPerryJohnPerry Frets: 1622
    For half an hour a few years ago I A-Bd an Artisan 15 and a BadCat hot cat 15 at decent volume. The Bad Cat was, IIRC, three times the price and about ten times as good. The Blackstar was, as others have said, flat and uninspiring. There just was nothing much to the tone. The BadCat was glorious. I also had an HT Dual which was about as brittle, raspy and nasty an overdrive as I've ever encountered.

• I always found blackstars dont project sound all that well and they seem to favour humbuckers.
    (not played an Artisan though, have played most of the range)

The one positive is the clean channels are usually very clean... but very shrill too. 

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    With the exception of the Artisan, i've never been interested in Blackstar. I don't like the sound, look or logo. They missed the opportunity to build upon Marshall's modern shortcomings. Instead they just released a bunch of dull, uninspiring amps. Maybe i'm not the target audience, as i don't like modern high gain amps with 'x' technology etc.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Having played and owned (and still own) loads of amps, I regularly gig with a Series One 50 which has been 100% reliable and IMO sounds great. As for 'can't do cleans'. The warm clean is as close to my jtm45 as any amp I own and it does a very good jcn800 as well
  • I think the crunch/super crunch channel on the EL34 S1s is really good. The S1/Artisan 4x12 cabs are well built too.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    HT Stage 60 here. Had it a few years now (bought it from the MR classifieds) and can't see me changing it unless it died.
    I love the Mesa type hi gain off it - my main reason for wanting it - but I equally love the OD and the clean. For me and my way of playing it is near perfect. Wish it wasn't so blimmin heavy though!
    My mate fancies ditching his AC30 for an Artisan 15 and I think it would totally suit him.
    I was underwhelmed by the HT5 though. Went with a Yamaha THR10 and adore it.
  • I wasn't blown away by the A15. Tested both that and the A30 at length, and owned the A30H before my current A30. Maybe it just suits my set up etc, but it always sounds great.
    GavHaus said:
    I wasn't blown away by the A15. Tested both that and the A30 at length, and owned the A30H before my current A30. Maybe it just suits my set up etc, but it always sounds great.
    So why is it in the classifieds?? ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Because I'm skint! Read the ad - it's the best amp I've personally ever used. Only contemplating a sale for cash - it'd be a downgrade
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Aha!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    When I tried out an Orange Micro Terror in the shop, it sounded amazing through an Orange 4 * 12" cab.  The problem was that I did not have the space for a 4 * 12 in our music room.  I tried a number of 2 * 12" and 1 * 12" cabs but the magic was not there.  In the end I tried a Blackstar 1 * 10" and liked the sound.  Bought both the amp and the cab.  The combo sounds even better when I upgraded the valve in the amp.

I know that the Orange Micro Terror is not thought very highly and it seems that many consider the sound of Blackstar to be uninspiring. To these old ears, the combo works very well and don't take up too much space. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• They bought out too much gear in such a short space of time.

Seemed like every Monday morning they'd announce yet another useless ill thought out product.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom