Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Classic Songs you can no longer listen to

What's Hot
tone1tone1 Frets: 5203
edited November 2014 in Music
Whilst we're on classic songs it got me thinking about classic songs I skip on my iPod when they come on! I'll kick it off...sorry if I offend some of your top tunes but..

1. Bohemian Rhapsody
2. Stairway to Heaven
3. Imagine

Over to you..
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• any song I can no longer listen to isn't a classic

there are a lot of them
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Whigfield - Saturday night
    Ace of Base - All that she wants
    Aqua - Barbie Girl
    Los Del Rio - Macarena
    Rednex - Cotton eye joe

The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If it helps I never liked Imagine and don't understand why it seems to be held in such high regard.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Kumbayah

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Anything that's been in an advert.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    Sweet child of mine
  • kinkin Frets: 1015

All right now- hotel California-Freebird-Smoke on the water-we will rock you and this is what winds me up about classic rock radio, there's usually at least another eight or so songs on a record, play one of the others for a change FFS!

• DominicDominic Frets: 16293
    Anything that you used to think was fantastic........have then spent months rehearsing / gigging.....I dunno why but something about it becomes demystified and loses its appeal ..........some people have apparently reported the same thing about marriage after a certain amount of time !
    That must deserve a wisdom !
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Whigfield - Saturday night
    Ace of Base - All that she wants
    Aqua - Barbie Girl
    Los Del Rio - Macarena
    Rednex - Cotton eye joe

All of those are fantastic
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Dominic said:
    Anything that you used to think was fantastic........have then spent months rehearsing / gigging.....I dunno why but something about it becomes demystified and loses its appeal ..........some people have apparently reported the same thing about marriage after a certain amount of time !
    That must deserve a wisdom !

true on both counts. :bz
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922
    I haven't heard most of the above in ages, I shall have to work through them all, apart from Whigfield (one must draw the line somewhere)
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5883
    edited November 2014
    Layla (that bleedin' outro)
    Hotel California
    Smoke on the Water
    Walk of Life (never could listen to it actually)
    Born in the Feckin USA
    Wonderwall (never liked it the first time round)
    S.C.O.M

Absolutely Tons More that I dare not recall for fear of bringing on Palpitations.

Disclaimer: This is not a dig at the Musicianship of these bands, I blame the lack of imagination of Radio Station DJ's or whoever has decided the playlists over the decades, personal taste plays only a minor role. One way to kill a tune, play it to death!

It doesn't only apply to classic songs either, the BBC can take a band like Human League and reduce them to a "One Hit Wonder" band due to only ever playing "Don't You Fucking Want Me?" Their back catalogue is quite impressive regarding Chart Hits, but Fuck that, let's just stick "You were Working as a Waitress..........." Aaaaaaargh, *Vomits Blood*

Rant Over.

:-D

Edit: I still love Bohemian Rhapsody

;-)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73055
    I don't think I have any that I can't listen to 'any more', but there are plenty I could never stand in the first place.

eg

Free Bird
    SCOM
    Wonderwall
    Sex On Fire

I love the Layla outro by the way.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Bellycaster;405990" said:
    Layla (that bleedin' outro)Hotel CaliforniaSmoke on the WaterWalk of Life (never could listen to it actually)Born in the Feckin USAWonderwall (never liked it the first time round)S.C.O.M

Absolutely Tons More that I dare not recall for fear of bringing on Palpitations.

Disclaimer: This is not a dig at the Musicianship of these bands, I blame the lack of imagination of Radio Station DJ's or whoever has decided the playlists over the decades, personal taste plays only a minor role. One way to kill a tune, play it to death!

It doesn't only apply to classic songs either, the BBC can take a band like Human League and reduce them to a "One Hit Wonder" band due to only ever playing "Don't You Fucking Want Me?" Their back catalogue is quite impressive regarding Chart Hits, but Fuck that, let's just stick "You were Working as a Waitress..........." Aaaaaaargh, *Vomits Blood*

Rant Over.

:-D

Edit: I still love Bohemian Rhapsody

;-)
    The human league did some great stuff - i used to love "the lebanon" and especially the remix album "the unlimited orchestra".
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24865
    edited November 2014
    Every Breath You Take - an amazingly chilling/atmospheric piece of music, with a delicate arrangement which builds beautifully.

Over-familiarity, Sting's nose job and too many hugged trees have rendered it unlistenable.

A great shame....
  • @suspiciousminds

Couldn't agree more, that was exactly my point. The Human League had tons of great songs in their back catalogue. I'm from Sheffield and I've seen one of their past members from their later years playing in Pubs in Sheffield. He's called Russell Dennett, he was a Touring Keys and Guitarist for them, can't remember exactly when(late 80's early 90's I think), he's a very good Guitarist and puts on a good gig. Usually plays in a duo in the gigs I've seen him play.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922
    I have never liked Wonderwall or Hallelujah, currently listening to Hotel California :)

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Not sure if this counts - I know it's considered a classic song but "Living On A Prayer", or indeed anything by Bon Jovi. I'd rather have my toenails pulled out and force-fed to me than ever hear that fucking hateful excuse for a rock band ever again.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • ICBM said:
    I don't think I have any that I can't listen to 'any more', but there are plenty I could never stand in the first place.

eg

Free Bird
    SCOM
    Wonderwall
    Sex On Fire

I love the Layla outro by the way.

Guilty M'Lord, don't like it.

At least we both appreciate ABBA and I criminally forgot to list one of theirs in the Gassage's thread.

I must be force fed pickled Herring until I die!

:-)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6418
    The whole of Deep Purple in Rock (over listened I think, I find it total cheese now)

Anything by Supertramp (thanks to a drunken neighbour who always played the greatest hits side 1 before he passed out)

erm .... that's it !

Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback