Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Who's the most interesting person you've met/sat next to on a flight/train?

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 31591
edited September 19 in Off Topic
I was coming back from a rugby trip to France and a well dressed Scandinavian chap was sitting next to me on a lowcost airline

Got talking as he was vaguely interested in rugby because 'they use my product in it' - his name was Lars-  was in pharma and CEO of a big group. We chatted and I asked how he got into it...

"Ahhh- I invented Compeed blister plasters and got bought out" was the reply. He was a chemical engineer who enjoyed hiking and just had an idea and the intellect to deliver the product. Now worth absolute millions.

I am a big fan of Compeed and I simply couldn't believe what he told me, but googled him after and all checked out!

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• blobbblobb Frets: 3276
    At a 'dinner party' I sat next to the guy who owned the company that made the heat resistant tiles on the space shuttle, the one that burnt up. When he told me I looked him in the eye and he said 'It wasn't our fault'.

Mate of mine sat next to a lady on an aeroplane and started talking about cars (it's all he ever talked about) she knew loads about cars and they got on like a house on fire. Turned out it was Caroll Shelby's wife.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 14034
    edited September 19
    One degree of separation, but:
    • My cousin was flying back from NY on Concorde many years back.  Jon Lord sat next to him.  Top bloke apparently.
    • Very old friend was flying back from Morocco a couple of years ago.  An elderly Muslim gent sat next to him.  It was Twink from The Pink Fairies.  A really lovely and very interesting guy.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 7024
    I sat next to an interesting fellow on a plane once. 
    He just started asking me a bunch of questions, what I was doing/where am I going, how did I get here etc so we got talking. Inquisitive bloke he was.  

Turns out he was a pilot himself which was pretty cool, so I had a whole lot of questions to ask. 

But the guy just kept coming back to his original question to me, which was 'what was I doing here?' 
    Eventually he told me to fuck off out of the co-pilots seat. 
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
    31reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    blobb said:
    At a 'dinner party' I sat next to the guy who owned the company that made the heat resistant tiles on the space shuttle, the one that burnt up. When he told me I looked him in the eye and he said 'It wasn't our fault'.

Mate of mine sat next to a lady on an aeroplane and started talking about cars (it's all he ever talked about) she knew loads about cars and they got on like a house on fire. Turned out it was Caroll Shelby's wife.

A night on the tiles, eh?

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4904
    I sat on a bench next to Damon & Georgie Hill at West Byfleet Station.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2519
    On a flight to Las Vegas for a guitar camp, I was in premium economy (being 6ft 6, I don't fit in 'normal' economy!), and had an empty seat next to me (the story gets better, honest).

An hour in, an American guy in his early 30s is moved there. Seems nice enough. He then proceeds to drink 6 double JD and cokes in 2 hours, and I get the feeling he wants to chat.

So, I take my earbuds out and start making small talk - basically, turns out the guy was a merc in Ukraine, and also a former green beret. He was telling me a lot of things he'd experienced there, all the people in his unit, the shit he'd seen and done etc. Even showed me very graphic footage on his mobile of the aftermath of a Russian attack on his position, his unit being fired at by tanks and running to get into a basement etc.

He was obviously suffering PTSD; I often wonder what happened to him. He mentioned he was going back home to Vegas due to something with his house, but then he was going back to Ukraine, as his unit had been pretty much wiped out, and he felt guilt for not being there with the other survivors.
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My wife and I were flying to London and it turned out we were sitting right in front of Malcolm (now Lord) Bruce, one time deputy leader of the Lib Dems who, we later found out, was travelling to be on the Question Time panel that night. It was exceptionally windy and the plane twice attempted and failed to land at London City airport, getting quite badly buffeted about.  By the time it made a 3rd, successful, attempt to land everybody had had a pretty good scare and people were chattering away to their neighbours with an abnormal lack of British reserve.  By then we'd got a conversation going with Bruce and his friendly female companion (possibly his wife but could have been an assistant or something).  I don't think anybody said anything particularly interesting, a few jokes about how scary it was/had been etc but we had a friendly chat for 10 or 15 minutes.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Two women sat across from me on a train journey from London... my mother is deaf and they struck up conversation.. turned out to be Mr Tumble's sign language advisors... one for the kids..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 993
    edited September 19
    I once found myself on a flight out of Heathrow in a window seat with two empty seats beside me. I had hardly had time to luxuriate in the glory of my isolation when the seatbelt light went out and two improbably Cockney young women with fake tans and scraped-back ponytails instantly appeared in the aisle, chirped "Awright? S'okay if we sit 'ere?" and plonked themselves down. 

They were cagey about who they were and what they were doing but the nearest one turned out to be called Nicky and she was lovely and we later had a bit of a natter about her passion, dogs. Her sister was terrifyingly thin and spent the flight crashed out and when I wanted the loo I had to climb over her. I looked them up afterwards, it was easy... Nicola and Teena Collins, identical twins and daughters of self-proclaimed East End gangster Les Falco, on their way to the LA premiere of Snatch, which they were in. Phone numbers were not exchanged.
  • Maybe not the most interesting, but very interesting to me.

On our holiday to Switzerland recently we were coming down from Jungfraujoch but the train was really busy. We asked a couple if they minded if we joined them, they agreed and insisted that my wife sit next to the female and I would sit next to the guy. She was dressed in a way that suggested she was Muslim, and this request supported that to my mind. Turns out they were from Saudi Arabia, Jeddah to be precise.

We started chatting and I was blown away by how my expectations had been so far off the mark. They were both dentists and spoke really good English. They were very passionate about their country and the culture and tourism. She told us how she loved watching Bridgerton and The Crown and wanted to visit the UK. They had good humour and were just lovely people. I suppose when you're on holiday you get a particular niche of people so it could be that the average Saudi Arabian couple would fit more closely to my pre-conceived stereotypes, but I came away from it with a refreshed attitude and more aware of my prejudices.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I was once travelling to Ibiza I think, about 15 years ago and got chatting to the Brummy woman next to me and she saw my Zeppelin Tattoo. Her husband was rolling his eyes as she was telling me she'd been dating Noddy Holder for a long time and left him for Robert Plant and told me lots of fun stories about both.   
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bobaccobobacco Frets: 579
    They were both dentists
    Of course they loved The Crown. 

(Alright, alright. I’m leaving…)

10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The actor who played Tywin Lansister from games of thrones. Looks just as scary in real life. Very pleasant chap, a bit of small talk. 
    Said he loved being on set, one of most enjoyable roles.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16476
    I once sat next to a chap on a train who had ridden every Class 37 deltic locomotive in the fleet and was steadily working his way through the Class 55's. Never got his name, but boy did he have some stories to tell. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • My dad took a flight from Australia where he was sat next to Michael Hutchence. Nice guy, he said, but he didn't have a clue who he was!
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16476
    My dad took a flight from Australia where he was sat next to Michael Hutchence. Nice guy, he said, but he didn't have a clue who he was!
    why didn't Hutchense know who your dad is?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11683
    VimFuego said:
    I once sat next to a chap on a train who had ridden every Class 37 deltic locomotive in the fleet and was steadily working his way through the Class 55's. Never got his name, but boy did he have some stories to tell. 
    You must have been chuffed.

I've let Dave Davies get on the 143 bus before me in Highgate a couple of times

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The actor who played Tywin Lansister from games of thrones. Looks just as scary in real life. Very pleasant chap, a bit of small talk. 
    Said he loved being on set, one of most enjoyable roles.

Charles Dance ??
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6938
    Flight; The guy who ran the company that built and elevated the London Eye. Chatted all the way. 

Train; George Thomas, Viscount Tonypandy. He invited me to join him as he worked with my brother and we chatted from Newport to London. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    VimFuego said:
    OMG. I really mean that too!