Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Who's the most interesting person you've met/sat next to on a flight/train?

What's Hot

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 14034
    Oooh.  Another couple I forgot.  Alan Whicker on a tube train in mid-80s. He looked very affable.   And then Bernard Ingham around the same time on a platform of Clapham Junction station.  He looked anything but affable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rogdrogd Frets: 1621
    If I can count the ferry (and not quite next to) but five weeks ago:

https://imgur.com/a/b3ZeH55
    Tommy Emmanuel?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30213
    Lady BMcH.

I generally want most people I end up sitting next to to be raptured.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • blobbblobb Frets: 3276
    edited September 20
    On the subject of drinking (and smoking) on trains, I sat diametricaly opposite a guy on a long train journey. I could see him, he wasn't really looking at me. He was well stocked with cans of Stella for the journey and minding his own business passing the time smoking and drinking. After about the 4th can he got a bit confused over which can he was swigging from and which one he was using as an ashtray. 

The dog end went in the drinking can of course but it was his reaction. He looked around, checked no one was watching (oh, how wrong he was!) and tutted to himself, eyes to the ceiling necked the rest of the brew in his hand. Fag butts and all. A gulp and it was all gone. Who's going to waste half a can of stella for the sake of some fag ash and filter tips eh?
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 10389
    i have sat by myself on a train and a plane and that was pretty interesting
    I'm scared and I'm waiting for life

I'm disappointed that he isn't being filmed by a chap with a wind-up cine camera under a cloth hood - the faux New Elizabethan charlatan.
    his proximity to the pet toilet amuses me in a very delightful way
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 16476
    this is a work thing, so again not a mode of transportation, but I attended a chap who'd been a DEA agent in the 70's and 80's New York. He'd been badly shot (7 times, we saw the scars!!!) in a shootout with a gang that ended his career. Sadly now he was fucked up; heart, lungs, kidneys all fucked. He had some interesting tales to tell, in between the chronic wheezing and coughing. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16668
    rogd said:

Tommy Emmanuel?

You might need to look further back! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ronnybronnyb Frets: 1783
    I was once asked for a lift off Jacques Penry the inventor of photfit identikit.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25111
    edited September 21
    Not met, but I sat opposite Issy Suttie on a train once.

My brother once sat opposite Jim Davidson. And I saw Goldie getting off a train at Euston.

Slim pickings really.
    Philly_Q said:
    Not met, but I sat opposite Issy Suttie on a train once.

My brother once sat opposite Jim Davidson. And I saw Goldie getting off a train at Euston.

Slim pickings really.
    I once sat next to Jim Davidson, a fine comedian and a gentleman. And all three of them were interesting individuals (thank you Benny Hill)
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3131

I'm disappointed that he isn't being filmed by a chap with a wind-up cine camera under a cloth hood - the faux New Elizabethan charlatan.

It was quite odd. JRM, Mrs JRM and a couple of the kids. Jacob being filmed standing in a dog toilet looking out to sea whilst our dog barked at him. I don't think the French people recognised him (the chap looking at his phone was a French man seemingly wearing only his underwear, as if that wasn't odd enough) or were particularly phased by a film crew being there. Using bloody Eurotunel next time. 
    This is right up there with the bowling alley story. I've never sat next to anyone interesting on a train that wasn't already known to me.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    Closest I've got was seeing Frank Carson walk past me in Edinburgh Airport in the 90s. Although I once walked out of Cardiff Central train station on a Friday evening and was aware of a slight figure walking by my side, glanced across, and it was Thom York. I had been on a train from London, so very likely we were on the same train.

It was quite odd. JRM, Mrs JRM and a couple of the kids. Jacob being filmed standing in a dog toilet looking out to sea whilst our dog barked at him. I don't think the French people recognised him (the chap looking at his phone was a French man seemingly wearing only his underwear, as if that wasn't odd enough) or were particularly phased by a film crew being there. Using bloody Eurotunel next time. 
    This is right up there with the bowling alley story. I've never sat next to anyone interesting on a train that wasn't already known to me.
    Blimey, good memory. Prior to seeing Mogg on a ferry I had sat by Wagner on a train. But that story does involve trying to explain who Wagner is which probably detracts from any value of interesting. 
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8685

I had sat by Wagner on a train. But that story does involve trying to explain who Wagner is which probably detracts from any value of interesting. 
    Not at all, the man's a legend.
    ...I had sat by Wagner on a train. But that story does involve trying to explain who Wagner is which probably detracts from any value of interesting. 
    Errrm... this one?

Home - Wagner X Factor
    hopefully not this one

Offset said:
    ...I had sat by Wagner on a train. But that story does involve trying to explain who Wagner is which probably detracts from any value of interesting. 
    Errrm... this one?

Home - Wagner X Factor
    Yes. Sandwell and Dudley to Euston. Nothing of great note about the journey but he was quite hard to miss (even without the flashy lights). 
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 526
    Two instances spring to mind, but I didn't meet them.  It was more a case of just being in the same place at the same time.  Both interesting in their own way though.

First was in a cafe at Glasgow train station in the late 90s.  The was a huge fuss on the platform but we couldn't really tell what was going on, and being English in Glasgow, we decided not to get involved.  A few moments later a couple of goons in suits come into the cafe followed by a smallish bloke and a few more goon.  The goons spread out a bit and it turned out to be Jimmy Savile complete with purple tracksuit and gold chains.  Neither me or my girlfriend were interested so we just finished our coffees and left.

Second one was catching an early train out of Lancaster station while I was at uni (probably around 2002/3).  The station was completely dead, I think it was about 6am on a Saturday.  I was sat waiting on the southbound platform when a gentleman in a long black coat and wide brimmed hat walked onto the platform and just stood quietly waiting for his train.  I looked and looked again, sure that it couldn't be, but sure enough Terry Pratchett was stood less than 5 meters away from me.  Not approaching and telling him how much his books mean to me is one of the bigger regrets in life.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    RedRabbit said:
    I looked and looked again, sure that it couldn't be, but sure enough Terry Pratchett was stood less than 5 meters away from me.  Not approaching and telling him how much his books mean to me is one of the bigger regrets in life.

^^ I met Stephen King at a booksigning and took the opportunity to tell him just that.  It was a brief encounter but in that short space of time he revealed himself to have a very dry wit.  I do, of course, still have the signed book.

The following evening I saw him onstage on the South Bank being interviewed by Muriel Gray.  A great weekend.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom