Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

See how YOU like it

What's Hot
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29597561

It seems that people don't mind air travel until they have to live underneath it. Once they find out what that is like, their opinions change. To all who like air travel, I say, Go live underneath the flight paths in or out of a big airport.

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I lived on the flight path into RAF Alconbury (actually grew up there) and having aircraft* fly over 24/7 never bothered me.

*Including Phantom*s, U2*s, Starlifters, Galaxys, F-5*s, A-10*s etc

*all based there.......   

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27757
    edited November 2014
    Is there anyone living under Heathrow's path now that has been there longer than the airport? That said, moving flight paths is a bit out of order. As is building a 3rd runway at LHR when there is no decent airport to the East of London.

In any case, I used to be a mile from City airport. Not that big a deal. Quite enjoyed the low-flying chinooks going over every afternoon :D
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • @stickyfiddle, I remember Ascot well, although I never lived there. It was a peaceful place. Apparently it is no longer.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I can see why it is hard for some people,

Even if they want to move now, house prices will be bad and/or not sell because of the plans.

What is their option?  I personally like planes, but would struggle to record a decent guitar track with airplane flanger on everything haha
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Didn't you move there recently?
    My V key is broken
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @mike_l I thought the A10 was a BSA with a twin cylinder 649cc 4-stroke pushrod engine. It was a very sound design, and avoided many of the faults on the Triumph engine.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Yeah... I probably wouldn't like it sooo I decided not to move under a flightpath... and if they added one ... I'd probably move and lose a bit of money...

there are loads of ways for houses to drop in value: motorways, town expansion, making a reality TV show nearby...

It's like that... and that's the way it goes ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    @mike_l I thought the A10 was a BSA with a twin cylinder 649cc 4-stroke pushrod engine. It was a very sound design, and avoided many of the faults on the Triumph engine.

yes and no, it's a BSA and an aircraft, go google A10 Warthog.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28006
    It seems that people don't mind air travel until they have to live underneath it. Once they find out what that is like, their opinions change. To all who like air travel, I say, Go live underneath the flight paths in or out of a big airport.

To an extent, I think you get used to your environment.  The prospect of living under a flight path may seem like torture to someone who lives in the middle of the countryside, miles from any airport flight paths (me included).  But to people who've lived in those conditions for any length of time, they grow to ignore it.

My ex-brother-in-law worked at Heathrow, and lived just outside the airport, within easy audible range of the planes.  He chose to live there, (a) for the convenience, (b) because the house was multiple-glazed and little sound penetrated and (c) because "it's London, it's noisy everywhere".  And the house he bought was substantially cheaper because of the noise.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • I lived not far from Egham for a while, mainly to be close to my job. When the job ended, I left asap, and would never go back.
  • I've got a friend who lives under an approach path to East Midlands airport.  After the first couple of visits, you don't really notice when one goes over, other than if you look up at night and see the lights poking through low cloud - quite a sight.
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • , you don't really notice when one goes over, other than if you look up at night and see the lights poking through low cloud

Or unless this happens...

• I never understood the "you don't notice" thing. How can you NOT notice?

Neither do I understand the "you get used to it" thing either. Each new noise seemed an order of magnitude worse than the last noise until I was wound up to screaming pitch.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    It's not the noise that would bother me, I could get the angle grinder out and no one would here me and with double glazing I doubt it would be an issue indoors and since most of them city houses have no gardens anyway, what is the harm.  What would bother me is the fumes though, that is a whole different story, and if you were raising your kids there, combined with the traffic fumes, it would have to have some effect on them.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock

I actually prefered to have aircraft coming over every day.

BTW you don't really know what aircraft noise is until you've regularly heard the Phantoms and their charactistic "scream" due to their blown control surfaces.

• @Sambostar I had DG but still couldn't hear the telly or the stereo when a plane went over. It's no fun, trust me.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If you were a traveller, you could move your caravan away from the flightpath.   I think the Irish have thought this through more than the rest of us ;)

• @Sambostar I had DG but still couldn't hear the telly or the stereo when a plane went over. It's no fun, trust me.
    DG is useless at noise insulation, only good for heat. You need multiple glazing with a vacuum section, sorts out the noise almost completely.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • I never understood the "you don't notice" thing. How can you NOT notice?

Neither do I understand the "you get used to it" thing either. Each new noise seemed an order of magnitude worse than the last noise until I was wound up to screaming pitch.
    That's because there are two ways someone can respond to a recurring noise:

One is to get used to it until just becomes part of the background, and you don't notice the noise specifically.

The other (especially if you find a noise annoying/disturbing) is unconsciously to wait for the next occurrence, and the next, and the next - in other words, you become sensitised to it instead of accustomed to it.

I sometimes get this with noise complaints - we make recordings of a noise that really isn't unreasonable, but it's driving the complainant to distraction.

@Bogwhoppit, that doesn't really count as 'going over'...
    You don't need much knowledge of anatomy to appreciate the fundamental ubiquity of opinions.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3110
    edited November 2014
    My office is on the flightpath for Birmingham - I have hundreds go past a day. "So often you won't even notice".

"A city star won’t shine too far"