Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

It finally happened, the day I've been dreading since the birth of our first child

What's Hot

Comments

• I have a flipping maths degree and I say long division is pointless and unnecessary and it saddens me that they still teach it.
    Isn't that a bit like saying we don't need to teach boolean algebra because everybody works at FPGA or VLSI level? or that gear-shifting & clutch control is unnecessary because of automatic gearbxoes?
    I don't know what those things are.

In any case, my point is that regular long division isn't a very good algorithm for solving division problems, but also it doesn't particularly help explain the logic of *why* 161 divided by 14 is 11.5 or whatever.

As many have said, the important thing is to understand the nature of division and multiplication and then you can do anything.

It's like giving the man the fish rather than teaching him how to fish, except you're telling him go to the beach in a specific place and use a specific fishing line and fish will randomly appear on the end of the string, when you could instead show him that fish live in the sea and if you get a boat and a net you can go wherever you want across the sea and catch loads of fish whenever you want to.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • But learning how to manipulate them is part of appreciating how they work. Otherwise it's like giving people pictures of scale patterns on a guitar without letting them play them on a real instrument.
    I'd say it's more like teaching endless scales without letting the kid listen to Led Zepellin...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    equalsql said:
    The worst part of it is that they no longer teach them traditional long division so you have to learn a different and IMHO  inferior system.
    You're gonna love that ;)

^ this

The method she is using is, for example, if you're dividing 296 by 7, first you work out the multiples of

1 x 7

2 x 7

5 x 7

10 x 7

20 x 70 then subtract it from the 296 in stages and add up the factors you used (ie 1 x, 5x, 20 x).

FFS

I've read that twice and don't understand it or why you'd do that...was different in my day I tell ya

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• Give a man a fish and he will eat. Teach him to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    edited November 2014
    lloyd said:
    equalsql said:
    The worst part of it is that they no longer teach them traditional long division so you have to learn a different and IMHO  inferior system.

^ this

The method she is using is, for example, if you're dividing 296 by 7, first you work out the multiples of

1 x 7

2 x 7

5 x 7

10 x 7

20 x 70 then subtract it from the 296 in stages and add up the factors you used (ie 1 x, 5x, 20 x).

FFS

I've read that twice and don't understand it or why you'd do that...was different in my day I tell ya

OK you asked for it so here goes ... 296 / 7

first write out this:

1*7 = 7

2*7 = 14

5*7 = 35

10*7 = 70 

20*7 = 140

then see which is the biggest number that goes into 296. In this case its 140 (20*7). Then subtract 140 from 296:

296 - 140 = 156 and put '20' in brackets (from the list above):

156 (20)

then repeat using 156 as the new number, whats the biggest number from the list that goes into 156? Its 140 again, so subtract 140 from 156 and put another 20 in the brackets)

156-140 = 16 (20,20)

then repeat

whats the biggest number to go into 16? Its 14 (2*7)

16-14 = 2 (20,20,2)

you can't divide the remaining 2 by 7 so that's your remainder.

Then add up the numbers in the brackets: 20+20+2 = 42

plus the remainder 2 = 42.2

simples ... err

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27743
    edited November 2014
    equalsql said:

^ this

1 x 7

2 x 7

5 x 7

10 x 7

FFS

WTF?

You just say..

no sevens fit in 2, so carry the 2 to make 29.

4 sevens in 29, with 1 left, so carry that to make 16. The 4 here actually represents 40 because we're in the tens column

2 sevens in 16 and 2 left over, so add 2 to your 40 and you have a remainder of 2 to either stop there or keep going to get your decimals.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Fair enough :) it now makes sense but I don't know why you'd do it like that...I'll stick to the old fashioned way (calculator).

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12096
    Countdown stylee?
  • @stickyfiddle's method is what I was taught. makes sense, shows the concept of dividing the dividend by the divisor. ie tells you what division is about. whereas the other method doesn't
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Long division is easy. Get Mrs Decker to explain it to Decker Jnr.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• shuikitshuikit Frets: 224
    Recently had to go through this with my little brother who was doing it some really bizarre way.  I had to do a bit of googling and ask a mate who's a teacher to get it.  I think the intention behind learning all different methods is good and in theory at least will help kids have 'a feel' for numbers.  But what I found the problem was that the method was just taught old, just follow this procedure way rather than teaching the why it works so some kids can get a bit confused and unsure to which one to use etc.  I wonder, if in my brother's case if the teacher themselves fully understood the method....

I've been led to believe that in secondary school they'll either get taught to use one method or they won't mind which method is used as long as they get the correct answers!
  • @stickyfiddle's method is what I was taught. makes sense, shows the concept of dividing the dividend by the divisor. ie tells you what division is about. whereas the other method doesn't

Aye ... garage method

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• I got through my entire time at school, right through to sixth form, without ever knowing how to do long division manually. I'm not proud of it, but I have to say, I don't feel I've missed a big part of my life because I can't do it.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    I'd have thought that long division and using log tables are not really much use now. ....
    This. Division is hugely important. Even more important is understanding it as inverse to multiplication. Knowing the precise technique of long division is of no use whatsoever. I can do a huge amount of mental arithmetic without recourse to a calculator, and I would never use long division.

Long division* is as useless as being able to use log tables. 

*of integers. Long division of polynomials is hugely important. Well ok, maybe only if you're a professional algebraist. :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Give it 11 years when she brings me home to meet the family.
    My V key is broken
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I know how to do long division.

•  

Is that some kind of hurdy-gurdy, folky thing?

That young whipper snapper is a mechanical calculator. They we all the rage for us late '70s early '80s maths wizzes. Pre Mr. Sinclare natch

isn't it a comptometer?
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12096
    I know how to do long division.

I've pretty much forgotten, and I'm supposed to be a mathematician. Can't remember doing anything like that at Uni

Siri does my basic arithmetic now

• Trad. long division works. teach her that and sod what the educational experts say.
    Yeah, always a good idea. Bloody so-called 'experts' who know what they're talking about.
    Use Your Brian
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    edited November 2014
    I don't use long division these days, though. Like everyone else, I use a calculator. But the kids should know how to do it, IMHO.