Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

It finally happened, the day I've been dreading since the birth of our first child

What's Hot

Comments

• Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    edited November 2014
    mike_l said:
    Long division is easy. Get Mrs Decker to explain it to Decker Jnr.
    Oi shut up you. I'll have you know its quite satisfying to be able to do a 7yo's maths homework.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4635
    Is it not HER homework? or is it YOUR homework???
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Trad. long division works. teach her that and sod what the educational experts say.
    yes, that'll help her fail pass her maths GCSE......

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    edited November 2014
    DesVegas said:
    Is it not HER homework? or is it YOUR homework???

yes but no but yeah but

I had to learn her (new) method so that I could check her sums init and show her where she went wrong init.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    I simply employed (and will do so again) that most useful of all sentences, "Go and ask yer Mother".
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    mike_l said:
    Long division is easy. Get Mrs Decker to explain it to Decker Jnr.
    Oi shut up you. I'll have you know its quite satisfying to be able to do a 7yo's maths homework.
    I'm only jealous cos I'm shit at maths.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Trad. long division works. teach her that and sod what the educational experts say.
    Yeah, always a good idea. Bloody so-called 'experts' who know what they're talking about.
    yeh, right. You strike me as being a good teacher, Mark. But don't you get tired of all the latest edu-speak and wish you could just do your job? people have been teaching other people ever since there were things that needed to be taught. Are the latest fads really that good?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    It was better in my day with log tables and slide rules.
    My V key is broken
  • I've still got my log tables & slide rule.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27743
    edited November 2014
    holnrew said:
    It was better in my day with log tables and slide rules.
    Aren't we roughly the same age? I never had a slide rule.

I do still have an old TI83 graphic calculator that's genuinely significantly less useful than an iPhone app though. 32k of RAM, bitches. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

Slide rules and log tables were all we had at school. Calculators didn't really come in until the mid 70's, and we weren't allowed to use them for exams, anyway. Everything was done longhand, which was a right PITA!

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Slide rules and log tables were all we had at school. Calculators didn't really come in until the mid 70's, and we weren't allowed to use them for exams, anyway. Everything was done longhand, which was a right PITA!

To be fair you also had a chalk and a slate instead of exercise books and pens.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Did I mention the abacus?

• martmart Frets: 5205
    I've still got my log tables & slide rule.
    My desk:

No prizes for guessing which items get used the most, and which the least.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15857
    is it the highlighter pens? I love using them, all the pretty colours.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4635
    edited November 2014
    I feel for you buddy, my daughters only 3, when she gets to 7 there'll be hover long division
  • VimFuego said:
    I'm pretty sure it's the mug and the blank space, for staring into, right?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    VimFuego said:
    Close. Those highlighters are great, and have a lovely history. Are you sitting comfortably? Then I'll begin ....

My parents were chronic miserly hoarders - maybe influenced by rationing, or maybe just it was their nature. So if they bought things, then they'd make sure to make them last. Tins of biscuits would be kept for years, etc. A bottle of whiskey would last longer in their drinks cupboard than it had ever spent maturing in the distillery. 

When they moved out of their house into nursing homes, and my brother and I cleared the house, I found this pack of highlighters that had been bought years if not decades before. They'd never used - the packaging was still sealed and everything. So I thought, I'm having these, and took them home with me. .... And stashed them away, thinking they're great, I must use them wisely and not waste them. After a few years I started to realize what I was doing, so decided to start using them straight away before I completely turned into my parents! :D
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6417
    JAYJO said:
    Ah! The old teachers code! Quite simply Translated it means This lads dad is a tosser! .
    :D
    Surely you mean "This lad's Dad is a tosser !" - a decent teacher wouldn't miss the apostrophe  :P

;)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 562
    edited November 2014
    I quite enjoyed re doing 'A' level maths with my Brother and then some years (many) later GCE, (O level) maths again with my daughter, It all came flooding back, BBC bytesize was really helpful too!