Dirt pedals and solid state amps

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3307
    edited November 2014
    Beexter said:

I've used solid state amps for years (currently have a Tech21 TM60, Roland Cube 60 & 80xl) and ALWAYS set them to be clean. Any dirt comes from pedals in to the front of the amp. I've found this to be very effective & 2 or 3 drive pedals can cover a very wide range of tones.

The Cube 60 on either the JC or Blackface clean setting takes pedals really well and that's an SS modelling amp - the actual overdrives in the amp are decent. A real JC120, although weighty, sounds great with OD pedals or a multi-fx feeding it.

You have a good board here. As mentioned in a couple of posts here, the problem may be to do with your Mustang amp.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    tFB Trader
    The problem isn't with the Mustang being solid state it's with it being a cheap modeller that doesn't like pedals.

I'd probably be gigging a JC120 if they weren't the same weight and size as a family car.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10413

Had a guy in a few weeks ago with a solid state Trace Elliot amp and a tubescreamer. I couldn't see what he was using from the control room and was very surprised when he told me. Sounded awesome for the blues stuff his band were doing. Never seen one of those amps before but apparently he paid £70 for it secondhand
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    tFB Trader
    Danny1969 said:

Had a guy in a few weeks ago with a solid state Trace Elliot amp and a tubescreamer. I couldn't see what he was using from the control room and was very surprised when he told me. Sounded awesome for the blues stuff his band were doing. Never seen one of those amps before but apparently he paid £70 for it secondhand
    If it was a Tramp (the green one) I used to have one and it sounded great. ICBM says they are incredibly unreliable, but they were cheap and had a V30 in them which worked for me.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72386
    They do sound great, when they work!

Actually better than the later 'Tramp Tube' version with a valve in the preamp, which are even less reliable.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein