Small pedal board

What's Hot
hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
I've joined another band but feel my current pedal is way too large and will never be used. So, I've thought I'd start a small board consisting of a Delay, fuzz/OD and maybe something else.

Any good pointers for a reasonably priced pedals? I'd probably spend a little more on the fuzz/OD. I had in mind the suhr Rufus :) Also any suggestions for other useful pedals. It's an old R&B type band like the blues brothers etc by the way ;)
Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have a small 4 pedal board and mine goes compressor (Digitech Main Squeeze) into a TS-style overdrive/boost (MXR GT-OD) into a Fenderish overdrive (Digitech Screaming Blues) into an analogue delay (Arion SAD-1). I have an insert box between the second overdrive and delay for an optional off-board volume control. Covers most bases for me.

The Screaming Blues has the advantage of an additional speaker-emulated output for emergency use DI'd into a desk.
  • 2 OD pedals? Why would you need 2 out of interest?
    steamabacus;414961" said:
    I have a small 4 pedal board and mine goes compressor (Digitech Main Squeeze) into a TS-style overdrive/boost (MXR GT-OD) into a Fenderish overdrive (Digitech Screaming Blues) into an analogue delay (Arion SAD-1). I have an insert box between the second overdrive and delay for an optional off-board volume control. Covers most bases for me.

The Screaming Blues has the advantage of an additional speaker-emulated output for emergency use DI'd into a desk.
  • I guess you power them by a one spot or something ?
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1270
    edited November 2014
    2 OD pedals? Why would you need 2 out of interest?
    'Lead' and 'rhythm' tones, basically. The Screaming Blues is set to a slight crunch, bright and mid scooped. The GT-OD is set to quite a big boost, not too much gain and mid-boosted in that Tubescreamer way. Stacked into the SB, that gives a full, singing overdrive for single-note lines. So those two drives, in conjunction with the guitar's volume and tone controls, give a pretty wide variety of overdrive textures. You can think of the Screaming Blues as the 'amp drive channel' and the GT-OD as ... well ... a Tubescreamer, basically.

As for power, yes everything's wired to a single input socket on the insert box. I just plug a standard 9v wall wart with a very long cable into that. Very portable setup.

Here's a pic..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • It really would depend on what songs you're playing.

For straight blues/rock, I'd probably not bother with any pedals at all, and rely on my amp and guitar volume control. I'd probably want a tuner, which I'd probably put on a small board.

However if I've got a board with a tuner on I'd most likely be tempted to put a boost/Tubescreamer-type pedal on there as well. And a bit of slapback delay is nice some times, and maybe a compressor, just to tighten things up, and how about a nice vibe pedal for that rotary sound. And a MicroPog for a bit of organ vamping.

So, anyway, stick with your big board :)

R.
  • Is that a pedaltrain mini board?
    steamabacus;415005" said:
    hotpickups said:

'Lead' and 'rhythm' tones, basically. The Screaming Blues is set to a slight crunch, bright and mid scooped. The GT-OD is set to quite a big boost, not too much gain and mid-boosted in that Tubescreamer way. Stacked into the SB, that gives a full, singing overdrive for single-note lines. So those two drives, in conjunction with the guitar's volume and tone controls, give a pretty wide variety of overdrive textures. You can think of the Screaming Blues as the 'amp drive channel' and the GT-OD as ... well ... a Tubescreamer, basically.

As for power, yes everything's wired to a single input socket on the insert box. I just plug a standard 9v wall wart with a very long cable into that. Very portable setup.

Here's a pic..
  • You're right of course. Really good to have those modulations to hand but I'm just thinking of my back and having to lug kit around for it not to be used mostly . Delay , OD and tuner is essential for me though
    robinbowes;415013" said:
    It really would depend on what songs you're playing.

For straight blues/rock, I'd probably not bother with any pedals at all, and rely on my amp and guitar volume control. I'd probably want a tuner, which I'd probably put on a small board.

However if I've got a board with a tuner on I'd most likely be tempted to put a boost/Tubescreamer-type pedal on there as well. And a bit of slapback delay is nice some times, and maybe a compressor, just to tighten things up, and how about a nice vibe pedal for that rotary sound. And a MicroPog for a bit of organ vamping.

So, anyway, stick with your big board :)

R.
  • BTW, I have a Diago Commuter board for sale, if you're interested?

R.
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1822
    edited November 2014
    Thanks but I think that maybe too big even for what I'd need :) Although how much are you wanting for it? Are you selling the power supply too? Does the board tilt towards you slightly when on the floor like the pedaltrains?
    robinbowes;415065" said:
    BTW, I have a Diago Commuter board for sale, if you're interested?

R.
  • It's too small for me, even for my small board :)
  • I've just edited my post @robinbowes if you want to read it again LOL
  • Answering your questions in reverse order...

No, it doesn't tilt, it's flat.

It didn't come with a power supply, but I have a spare Johnny Shredfreak unit which is an OEM Diago Powerstation - same quality, but 1/3 the price.

£45 posted for the board, £25 posted for the supply and a daisy chain. I'd do both for £60.

R.
  • Tremolo ? For that kind of style it's an effect that comes up a bit, or doesn't sound out of place if you want some variety.
    Compressor? You might need something to get those clean lines to pop out.
    Not convinced a fuzz will be much use.
    If you want delay then you just need something that does a decent slap back.
    When I saw the original Blues Brothers ( yes, I did ) it was les Paul and Tele into red knob twins. If there were any pedals involved I don't remember them.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • This is what I thought really I.e. Minimalist. Delay, trem (I like that) and an OD of some kind then. It's not all blues brothers stuff they actually do some other party type tunes but in the guise of the 2 blues brothers ;)
    EricTheWeary;415112" said:
    Tremolo ? For that kind of style it's an effect that comes up a bit, or doesn't sound out of place if you want some variety.
    Compressor? You might need something to get those clean lines to pop out.
    Not convinced a fuzz will be much use.
    If you want delay then you just need something that does a decent slap back.
    When I saw the original Blues Brothers ( yes, I did ) it was les Paul and Tele into red knob twins. If there were any pedals involved I don't remember them.
  • Ah I'm gonna need the board to be angled. I've had a Diago board before and that was my biggest complaint really. I'm surprised they haven't changed that by now :(
    robinbowes;415101" said:
    Answering your questions in reverse order...

No, it doesn't tilt, it's flat.

It didn't come with a power supply, but I have a spare Johnny Shredfreak unit which is an OEM Diago Powerstation - same quality, but 1/3 the price.

£45 posted for the board, £25 posted for the supply and a daisy chain. I'd do both for £60.

R.
  • I'd be happy to glue a couple of these on the bottom for you, FOC:

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Is that a pedaltrain mini board?
    steamabacus;415005" said:
    hotpickups said:

Here's a pic..
    No, it's just a bit of mdf. I used matt blackboard paint and glued some rubber tap washers on the base as low-profile 'feet' to stop it slipping around. DIY all the way for me.

:)
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2373
    edited November 2014
    'Lead' and 'rhythm' tones, basically. The Screaming Blues is set to a slight crunch, bright and mid scooped. The GT-OD is set to quite a big boost, not too much gain and mid-boosted in that Tubescreamer way. Stacked into the SB, that gives a full, singing overdrive for single-note lines. So those two drives, in conjunction with the guitar's volume and tone controls, give a pretty wide variety of overdrive textures.
    Yeah that's what I generally do too- though I don't necessarily use those exact pedals- I use something more transparent like a timmy or similar for the first, and then something TS-ish or SD1-ish for the lead boost. (I've also got a screamin blues and it works for it too, as you said. I haven't tried the GT-OD but assuming it's TS-ish/SD1-ish I don't see why it wouldnt work either). I'd generally have a fair bit of preamp distortion dialled into the amp too, though. :D
  • Dave_Mc said:
    'Lead' and 'rhythm' tones, basically. The Screaming Blues is set to a slight crunch, bright and mid scooped. The GT-OD is set to quite a big boost, not too much gain and mid-boosted in that Tubescreamer way. Stacked into the SB, that gives a full, singing overdrive for single-note lines. So those two drives, in conjunction with the guitar's volume and tone controls, give a pretty wide variety of overdrive textures.
    Yeah that's what I generally do too- though I don't necessarily use those exact pedals- I use something more transparent like a timmy or similar for the first, and then something TS-ish or SD1-ish for the lead boost. (I've also got a screamin blues and it works for it too, as you said. I haven't tried the GT-OD but assuming it's TS-ish/SD1-ish I don't see why it wouldnt work either). I'd generally have a fair bit of preamp distortion dialled into the amp too, though. :D
    If I had a Timmy, I think I'd probably use one as well.
    ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ive heard a lot about these timmys are they really as good as they say they are ?