Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Car Accident

What's Hot

Comments

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    edited November 2014
    thomasross20;415973" said:
    Can you fit a hulking great Blackstar 260TVP and large PRS case in a VW Golf?
    Don't know about the Golf but I drive an '08 Honda Civic and you can fit shed loads of gear in the back. My gigging rig includes two 2x12 cabs, a 3u rack, a 2u rack, midi board in an SKB Case, lead box, two guitars in cases, stands, etc and it all goes in easily with room to spare.
    In the past, I've had all that lot + the entire PA, a Laney combo, another guitar and a big keyboard in a gigbag when the singer's car broke down. Tight squeeze but we got it all in!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73027
    I can't possibly imagine how you couldn't. Unless you mean can you get it in the boot without folding the seats, in which case I don't know, but amp in the boot and guitar case in the rear footwell usually works even in tiny cars.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    edited November 2014
    I have to put my amp in the backseat of the Focus as it's a bit big...!

Here's my list (all high mpg diesels):
    VW Golf Bluemotion
    Honda Civic i-DTEC
    Audi A3 Sportback

I considered these others but don't think they're for me:
    BMW 1 series (not keen on the look, expensive)
    Ford Focus (already had one!)
    Volve V40 (expensive to maintain)
    Skoda Octavia - great value but not as great mpg? Not sure...
    Kia Cee'd - again great value but not as classy

Honda room... I just watched the video with the magic seats!! Looks good but I hear they can be rattly?? Hondas are meant to be very reliable, though. VW Golf gets rave reviews all round though I keep hearing they're not as reliable as they used to be. Audi A3 looks cool but don't think it's as economical as the others. 
    thomasross20 said:

Sorry to be boring as usual, but I hope you lie it down flat and preferably put the seat belt round it. Don't ever drive with an amp loose and upright on the back seat, it could kill you if you have a more serious crash. (Seriously.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12050
    If you rear end someone, go through insurance, the other guy can come back with whiplash within 3 years and if you didn't tell your insurance in the beginning, they won't cover you because there is probably a T&C in there saying you have to.

I rear ended someone a few years ago, at literally less than 5mph, it was a start/stop traffic jam.  Their car was not damaged (I have photos), my bumper came off the bracket.  Insurance didn't go up at all, I got a courtesy car for the week when it was being fixed.  It was pretty painless all in all.  Didn't call the police either as you don't need to unless you are hurt.  But make sure you tell the insurance company if there is someone else in the car.
  • Good point, ICBM. I've only transported it twice, but both times not tied up and upright.... will do it properly in future for sure... especially given today's events!

@RaymondLin - firstly, did you see that gorgeous 30th anniversary yellow PRS on the PRS forum? 

Yes, I'm glad I'm going through insurance, I have to say... a little more money for ease of mind....
    I wish I'd bought one less guitar to help toward a car lol.. but I'm not selling any!! 
  • By the way, just reading car reviews and WOW, how many people seem to have company cars!? I wonder what jobs these are...!!
    I saw that PRS, its nice but I'm not swayed :p Not enough for another anyway.  I'm sure it's nice though and that poster has some amazing guitars (and amps) in his collection.

I'd get the timing belt changed and be done with it.  If the car is mechanically sound then no point buying another unknown.  The one you have you know the history, I would keep it.

I've had my Yaris for 3 and a half years now, 52k miles (bought it at 20k miles).  It's been a great little runner, I keep saying i want to change but i can't find anything that can do the milage, as quick (I have a 1.8L engine in it, it weighs less than a tonne), easy to park, reliable and cheap to run.  

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748

By the way, just reading car reviews and WOW, how many people seem to have company cars!? I wonder what jobs these are...!!
    Would put money on company car drivers writing more reviews than others. Anyway, glad no-one was hurt. (By the accident, not by writing reviews.)
    Don't need to read car reviews....just have a budget and what you are after and i am sure plenty of people can have suggestions of you. 
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    thomasross20;415973" said:
    Depends, does it have a lip?

My V key is broken
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    p.s. I can fit a PRS case in a Yaris, it goes in the back seat footwell.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Don't believe the Volvo being expensive to maintain. I've got an S-40 which cost around £100 a year for a service. In the 8 1/2 years I've had it the only thing which has needed any other work was the clutch (at 117,000ish). Like any car, as long as you keep the oil topped up, and all the things checked/looked after they'll last.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• thomasross20;416085" said:

Really?? It must be huge. I can fit a matchless 2x12 and hc30 head in a flight case in the boot of my other halfs focus. Notch the small seat open to fit in the pedaltrain lengthways and guitars go in the back seat.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    And here's me resenting the £140 a month I spend on travel. Consider my self self-scolded by myself self. @TTony £950 a month? That is barking mad loony raving shit mads!!!
  • Definitely going to look at the A3, VW Gold & Honda Civic. 
    mike - good car then?
    Civic the most reliable? It seems the Civic beats even the new VW Golf in terms of fuel efficiency.

• A guy at our place has just got a new Golf and is complaining about small the boot is compared to his 3 year old mk6 Golf he traded in. If you want more space and have liked your Focus might be worth considering a Cmax? Also, don't totally write off Petrol, you save on your initial outlay, save at the pumps and some of the smaller turbo variants are efficient, like the 1l ecoboost. Also, I expect tax to start moving in Petrol's favour due to pollution issues Diesel is causing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20;416132" said:
    By the way, just reading car reviews and WOW, how many people seem to have company cars!? I wonder what jobs these are...!!
    I'm just coming off a company car after about 10 years, I was site based all over the county so a vehicle was essential for my line of work. For Many company car owners it seems to be just a perk with the job but you have to watch out as you pay a hell of a lot in tax. I'm actually looking forward to owning my own vehicle and getting something that isn't a 5 door 2l diesel Mondeo sized car. I'm just sending an Insignia back, it's fairly meh, but to be fair not had 1 issue in 3 years / 40 k miles so don't discount Vauxhall, they are very good value 2nd hand as well. Golf's get very good reviews but seem very expensive.
    Also, don't totally write off Petrol, you save on your initial outlay, save at the pumps and some of the smaller turbo variants are efficient, like the 1l ecoboost. Also, I expect tax to start moving in Petrol's favour due to pollution issues Diesel is causing.
    Unless you're doing large mileages at good steady motorway cruising speeds I definitely wouldn't get a diesel. Petrol can actually be better for economy in town or for short journeys, has lower maintenance costs and better long-term reliability now diesels have become so complicated due to trying to solve the pollution problems. I'm not a mechanic but that's the advice from mine!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    mike - good car then?

Not the most fashionable, or trendiest, but (clutch excepted) it's never caused a problem.

Mum had a 240 which, again gave no problems over the 14 years she had that.....

Both Mum and Dad now drive Mercs, which have had plenty of issues,

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21)