Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Car Accident

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• Okay Thomas - you're faced with paying £30 odd a day to hire a car for an unknown time...

Here's what you do... ;)

Spend about £300 on a ten or so year old car with a good MOT, then blow your insurance payout on a nice axe ;)

Makes sense now, dunnit!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pfft lol..!

I just my DirectLine policy and I chose "NO" for guaranteed hire car :(
  • TTony said:
    Just bought my monthly train ticket this morning.

£951.20.

Plus I get to pay for car parking at the station (£70/mth).

And a gallon of diesel each day to get to/from the station (so, about £100/mth).

£250 a month in petrol!
    Lucky man.

frankus said:
    my commute is an hour plus and my monthly costs are £450 on a good day - if things go pear shaped as they do twice a week, it's two hours to get home...

For me, 2 hours means that there have been no pears on the line and it's been a good day.

See, there's always someone worse off ...
    Your monthly train ticket is more than my monthly wage!  That is nuts.  
  • TTony said:
    Just bought my monthly train ticket this morning.

£951.20.

Plus I get to pay for car parking at the station (£70/mth).

And a gallon of diesel each day to get to/from the station (so, about £100/mth).

£250 a month in petrol!
    Lucky man.

frankus said:
    my commute is an hour plus and my monthly costs are £450 on a good day - if things go pear shaped as they do twice a week, it's two hours to get home...

For me, 2 hours means that there have been no pears on the line and it's been a good day.

See, there's always someone worse off ...
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I seem to remember when renewing my insurance, that there's the basic policy price, then you get to pick all the add-ons you think might be worth it. The hire care was one of those.

• Exactly. 

Picking up a car today. For 2 weeks. £130 for something the size of a Kia Picanto. Supposedly hire car from insurance only lasts 2 weeks unless you choose the "gold hire car" option which costs a lot more.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12050
    Not hired car, courtesy car.
  • Ah yes...

So! I got a Skoda Citigo. £130 until next Saturday. It's pretty guff, my Focus feels like a Mercedes in comparison. 

I could have paid an extra £130 for that duration to have zero excess in case of a further accident but declined. So the excess stands at... £900!

They noted all scratches etc and told me to bring it back full of fuel. 

Somehow I feel they're going to find a "scratch" somewhere when I return it....

The rear bodywork seems to have a slight dent after the accident but I failed to note it at the time. The garage say DirectLine aren't acknowledging it and it'd have to be put through as a second claim. Bugger that. What a faff all round :(
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Insurance companies are a cunch of bunts.

They'll take your money year-in, year-out without a problem. As soon as you make a claim, the premium goes up.

As soon as you try to get anything out of them, round the houses, via Will's mothers and back to get anything.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Hope mine doesn't go up too much. This year's was £230-240 or so. 
    I'm going to drive this rental car VERY slowly and carefully for the next 2 weeks....!!
  • AlbionLassAlbionLass Frets: 89
    edited November 2014
    Cirrus said:
    AlbionLass;417390" said:
    Rarely ever such a thing as a car "accident", someone is almost always at fault.
    Are you saying that most car accidents are deliberate acts?
     No, rather that that pretty much all rti's will be down to human error by one or more of the parties involved, excessive speed, lack of observation, generally poor driving skills etc or mechanical failure of some kind that could often have been prevented. 

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    edited November 2014
    Cirrus said:
    AlbionLass;417390" said:
    Rarely ever such a thing as a car "accident", someone is almost always at fault.
     No, rather that that pretty much all rti's will be down to human error by one or more of the parties involved, excessive speed, lack of observation, generally poor driving skills etc or mechanical failure of some kind that could often have been prevented. 
    So it would be an accident then... ?

Edit: Just to clarify

The police stopped refering to them as RTA (road traffic accident) because there was the possibility that someone was at fault in some cases, so the wording was not correct.  This is why they are now RTI (road traffic incident) because this doesn't create an premedited judgement on what happened.  Most likely PC going mad scenario, but facts be facts in the eyes of the law.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27932
    edited November 2014
    That's because I spend more time travelling to get to work than you spend at work.

:D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • joeyowen said:
    Cirrus said:
    AlbionLass;417390" said:
    So it would be an accident then... ?

Edit: Just to clarify

The police stopped refering to them as RTA (road traffic accident) because there was the possibility that someone was at fault in some cases, so the wording was not correct.  This is why they are now RTI (road traffic incident) because this doesn't create an premedited judgement on what happened.  Most likely PC going mad scenario, but facts be facts in the eyes of the law.
    Some collisions do occur without intent or with fault being very difficult to prove. 

BF is a former traffic officer and I'm a local cycle campaigner so I suppose I'm more aware the the implications of commonly used terminology. 

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27932
    They noted all scratches etc and told me to bring it back full of fuel. 
    I'm pretty sure that they just meant a tank full of fuel though ... 
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    AlbionLass;424748" said:
    Cirrus said:

AlbionLass;417390" said:Rarely ever such a thing as a car "accident", someone is almost always at fault.Are you saying that most car accidents are deliberate acts?

Well I guess it's just semantics but an accident is surely just something that wasn't done on purpose, you can have an accident that is somebody's fault - it just means they dropped the ball or were stupid rather than that they deliberately caused an accident.
  • AlbionLassAlbionLass Frets: 89
    edited November 2014
    Cirrus said:
    AlbionLass;424748" said:
    Cirrus said:

AlbionLass;417390" said:Rarely ever such a thing as a car "accident", someone is almost always at fault.Are you saying that most car accidents are deliberate acts?

Well I guess it's just semantics but an accident is surely just something that wasn't done on purpose, you can have an accident that is somebody's fault - it just means they dropped the ball or were stupid rather than that they deliberately caused an accident.
    I don't want to keep dragging this away from the op's original post but the main issue with the word accident is that it came to be widely used and still is often used by the public/in the media to cover all kinds of incidents on the road from those that are very minor with fault being hard to prove to those that lead to a conviction.