Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Found a bag of drugs

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited November 2014
    I'm not sure how these things work. Can you be sacked for having drugs in your system? I was sure that alcoholism was considered an illness and, certainly a large company, would have to offer treatment etc. Like you can't sack someone for being ill.

There are a lot of places that do drug tests now, factories and the like. Means that if you smoke weed even occasionally it could stop you from getting a job.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    Tone71 said:
    Working Saturday night on near Walthamstow on a railway job I found a bag of drugs!!

If you'd taken it, it could have been the end of your railway job.  I've heard stories about rail folk getting tested and binned for drugs, and alcohol.
    That's a bit harsh ....
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4068
    I'm not sure how these things work. Can you be sacked for having drugs in your system?
    Depends on  the job.  Driver (bus/ train), yes; drummer, no.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • xmrchixmrchi Frets: 2810
    It all depends on the company policy, most social care jobs /public sector, will offer support if you're using any illicit substances, but to be fair in theb14 years in have worked in the public sector and as a substance misuse practitioner (current job) i have never been tested ever.

Private sector jobs are very different as it's all down to their company policy, some will sack at the slightest whiff of drugs, where as others will refer to us and make it a requirement to attend appointments. Unless it's a driving job.

With any drugs that are found, I would flush it if it was heroin /crack, pills do the same,
    With weed, give it away, everyone these days does it anyways!
  • Tone71 said:

Now thinking about it should I have taken it to the police and handed it in? buried it? flushed it? or just left it where it lay (as I did)?

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    I'm not sure how these things work. Can you be sacked for having drugs in your system? I was sure that alcoholism was considered an illness and, certainly a large company, would have to offer treatment etc. Like you can't sack someone for being ill.

There are a lot of places that do drug tests now, factories and the like. Means that if you smoke weed even occasionally it could stop you from getting a job.
    Very common in mining in Australia at least, and probably other places, to have routine breathalysers on starting work, so suspect they would have similar policies for drugs. It's occasionally at three levels, the mine operator checks the workforce and holds the contractor responsible for anyone failing, so the contractor in turn checks their employees and will fire anyone who fails, and so people have their own testing kits and take a sick day rather than show up over the limit. Since the point is to stop people getting killed by heavy machinery it achieves the desired effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisus;425789" said:
    Handsome_Chris said:

Tone71 said:

Working Saturday night on near Walthamstow on a railway job I found a bag of drugs!!

If you'd taken it, it could have been the end of your railway job.  I've heard stories about rail folk getting tested and binned for drugs, and alcohol.

That's a bit harsh ....
    @Axisus, not at all. A lot of people employed in the rail industry are in roles that require them to be able to carry out safety critical tasks. People like track workers, platform staff, signallers, train catering staff are all subject to this as, in an emergency, their actions could save, or cost, someone's life.

To put it simply, would you want 410 tonnes of metal, travelling at 125 mph, with 300 people on board being derailed due to some hungover chump not doing their job properly?
  • I work with a subcontractor who'd been in Amsterdam on a stag do and had a few joints. He was routinely tested (nuclear industry) a few weeks later and obviously failed. He was turned down for a full time position on this result. Now, as we all know cannabis use isn't illegal in Amsterdam so he's not broken the law. This doesn't seem a fair verdict to me.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    @badlydrawnbanjo the same thing happened at my dads work. He works for Michelin and they started testing all employees a few years ago. One of his staff was in Amsterdam on his own stag do and obviously sampled the local cuisine while he was there.
    He came back to work got tested a few weeks later and failed. My dad was gutted, he had to tell him he'd failed and they were terminating his contract. My dad tried to argue in his defense with their head office but couldn't do anything about it and lost one of his best employees.
  • Had he already been cards in with the company, he would have been given counselling and re-tested after 6 months apparently.
  • They were testing people when I used to work at the bloody dump! You would get a warning for alcohol if you were a normal site guys but drivers or machine operators it was instant dismissal. Drugs was instant dismissal for everyone, I know a few people who got sacked but only because they got setup by people or the managers singled them out.
    Old Is Gold
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    axisus;425789" said:
    Handsome_Chris said:

Tone71 said:

That's a bit harsh ....
    @Axisus, not at all. A lot of people employed in the rail industry are in roles that require them to be able to carry out safety critical tasks. People like track workers, platform staff, signallers, train catering staff are all subject to this as, in an emergency, their actions could save, or cost, someone's life.

To put it simply, would you want 410 tonnes of metal, travelling at 125 mph, with 300 people on board being derailed due to some hungover chump not doing their job properly?

I was referring to the fact that you said they get 'binned'. Being chucked in the garbage is definitely harsh!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom