Thin Lizzy - Doors Style Movie

What's Hot
Could it be pulled off - telling the early story of Phil Lynots upbringing to superstardom ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Oh yes, that's movie material isn't it? Even if only because it will be the first film ever with West Bromwich in it ( where he was born although, clearly, his mom could hardly wait to get away).
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    I'd watch it!!  

It would be a great film and I'm surprised it haven't already been done.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I went off Thin Lizzy when they released 'Dancing in the Moonlight'. Finished it for me.

• I'd watch it provided I liked the actor. Val Kilmer for Jim Morrison was a great fit and so was Jamie Foxx for Ray Charles surprisingly;

I prefer the guy that plays Ray Charles in The Blues Brothers :D

Val Kilmer was not a great fit, it was a perfect one, same goes for Kyle MacLachlan as Manzarek. to be fair they all gave great performances IMO
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23615
    I really don't like biopics in general, they have to sum up several decades by dramatising a handful of what they see as key incidents... and it always feels like so much has been left out.  Also when they're about bands they tend to focus on one or at most two of the members, to the extent that the other guys seem like barely more than extras.

Casting's really important too.  You don't just want lookalikes, they have to be able to act but they can't look too different from the real person.  And if it's a music biopic they have to at least look like they can really play or the whole thing becomes laughable.

I do like the film Almost Famous, where it's inspired by real-life events but doesn't depict any actual band, it makes the whole thing less strained and more believable.

• SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    Yeah. I want to see which Les Paul Scott Gorham wanted in the shop before Phil told him he was getting a Deluxe.

• Skipped said:
    Yeah. I want to see which Les Paul Scott Gorham wanted in the shop before Phil told him he was getting a Deluxe.
    Story goes he was looking at the Standards and Customs in Denmark Street with Phil shaking his head at the prices.....till he saw the Deluxe.
  • Skipped said:
    Story goes he was looking at the Standards and Customs in Denmark Street with Phil shaking his head at the prices.....till he saw the Deluxe.

no point wasting cocaine money on guitars...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2916
    Haha why indeed ^^^^

Think the early years part of the movie would be good, the whole social aspect of being mixed race in Ireland which aint no thing now but back then, well i bet him and his mum put up with some shyte.

Do many good scenes :)
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2916
    I thought Val Kilmer was amazing as Jim.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    It'd have a killer soundtrack at any rate. 

Honestly, I think it'd make for a very, very hard film to watch if it was done properly. And by properly I mean not flinching at all in its depiction of the struggles he and his mom had when he was a kid, and the struggles he had as an adult with his habits. 

And for all the shit he went through he managed to make such great music. 

Giant of a man. A fucking genius. 

And I honestly think he lived one of those lives that don't need retelling in a film. The facts and the music speak for themselves and have more than enough drama and life in them. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    blueskunk said:
    Could it be pulled off - telling the early story of Phil Lynots upbringing to superstardom ?
    Not for me .. I saw them live too many times. I couldn't think of anyone who could convincingly play Phil let alone Scott Gorman .. and the music .. how could they recreate it?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Fretwired said:
    blueskunk said:
    Not for me .. I saw them live too many times. I couldn't think of anyone who could convincingly play Phil let alone Scott Gorman .. and the music .. how could they recreate it?

on the James Brown movie they haven't, all original tracks from what Mick Jagger said on Radio 5, although a degree of remixing to fit.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Fretwired said:
    blueskunk said:

on the James Brown movie they haven't, all original tracks from what Mick Jagger said on Radio 5, although a degree of remixing to fit.
    But the James Brown actor only has to sing ... playing guitars convincingly is another kettle of fish ... could be done I suppose.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    edited November 2014
    Anyone like Gary Oldman as Sid Vicious? The Doors one was pretty good, might watch that again sometime soon.

A bit off topic but I've just been thinking that someone should do a remake of Akira.
  • Fretwired;424636" said:
    EricTheWeary said:

Fretwired said:

blueskunk said:

But the James Brown actor only has to sing ... playing guitars convincingly is another kettle of fish ... could be done I suppose.
    I assume there will be JB's backing musicians and they should look like they are playing something in the fillum. But, if there was a Lynott film I don't suppose it would be focusing on the music that much.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23615
    edited November 2014
    Fretwired said:

Assuming whoever made this film took the whole thing seriously and knew something about music, I think they'd manage that part OK. 

It's not like the olden days when they'd have just stood around clutching guitars near the headstock and making random strumming motions.  Modern day actors would go for it and have intensive guitar lessons - or at least guitar-faking lessons, think of all the training they do for action movies.

I still can't imagine who'd be suitable to play the roles, though.

• Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10541

It's great subject matter for a film, I would watch it. You got the race battle in Ireland, the poetry, the rise to fame, out punking the punks in the late seventies and then the hair metal days before the decent into hard drugs plus the women and all the lineup changes in the band.
    And then it could end by showing some sad little tribute band still playing Lizzy songs nearly 30 years later ;)
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • A bit off topic but I've just been thinking that someone should do a remake of Akira.
    Nah - it's perfect. Tetsuuuo! 

I'll watch it later.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Anyone like Gary Oldman as Sid Vicious? The Doors one was pretty good, might watch that again sometime soon.

A bit off topic but I've just been thinking that someone should do a remake of Akira.
    I think I read somewhere they're doing a live action hollywood version.

As for instruments, they all played live in Control. Great film.
    My V key is broken