Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How much do you pay a month for your gas and electric?

What's Hot

Comments

• Yes Mrs. D does love our tumble dryer too, though to be fair you need it on a wash day when the weather is bad. Its either that or put the heating on and use the rads ... not sure which is cheaper.

Its very distressing to see the BG Smart Meter alarm out as 'daily budget used' at 10am though.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If your heating is gas then drying the washing using the heating will be cheaper but will take a lot longer and for some reason makes everything go stiff, plus you'll have a lot of extra moisture in the air.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15859
    we have a large airing cupboard/boiler room, so it's always warm in there even without the heating on and it's plenty big enough for a couple of airers.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• mike257mike257 Frets: 374
    We're hitting £200/mth combined.  Me and the missus, two daughters (10 & 16) and two toddlers in a three bed semi.  That's three women constantly charging gadgets, showering, hairdyering and straightening, kids always sticking the telly on (and forgetting to turn it off) and six peoples worth of washing machine, tumble dryer and cooking.  Not helped by the electric pump our landlord fitted to drive the shower as the water pressure is non-existent without it.  I get grief for not having the heating on all the time but it's me that pays the bills (she pays the rent) so it's easy for them to say.  Christmas jumpers for everyone this year!
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1533
    Danny1969 said:
    About £180 a month for both which pains me being a tight arse skint musician 

The things you gotta watch leccy wise are the oven,washing machine, tumble dryer, and then you got hair dryers, hair  straighteners, irons etc. One trick I'm thinking off  nowdays is to use a Halogen oven when poss, you can roast a chicken quicker and a lot cheaper in one : 

The cheapest option would be to have a Trampy bald headed minty bird who only eats fruit!
  • Ovo seems to always come out on top as the cheapest

Check they have screwed up ! I know OVO have screwed up my bills and now asking for it back. I know they still have not got it right as they have not charged me for electricity for 3 months , but my account is frozen so I can't get it back until they sort the screw up out. I am £800 in credit and guess only owe them about £300 . Currently paying £156 a month , but it has been a mild autumn.

I have a wife and two daughters at home. the wife seem to think the house has to have the heating on and the windows open so we get "fresh air" , So I am heating most of the street outside ! If I complain I am a grump. Council tax is £220 a month so feel I am allowed to be grumpy.

It is odd as I earn a good above average salary , but don't really have money for myself, and in my late 50's still in a fair amount of debt... Should have stayed single  :-)
  • I'm with First Utility and pay average £80 a month, good thing with them is it's a monthly meter reading which means none of this credit/debt nonsense. If a massive energy company want me to be in credit with them either pay me interest on the money I'm loaning them or bugger right off.
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3098
    £75 at the moment. It was £56 but turns out we use more than what npower forecasted I think. We've changed our habits with heating and electric so hopefully our bill will go down when they review us in January
  • Flink_Poyd;424573" said:
    I'm with First Utility and pay average £80 a month, good thing with them is it's a monthly meter reading which means none of this credit/debt nonsense. If a massive energy company want me to be in credit with them either pay me interest on the money I'm loaning them or bugger right off.
    So is OVO , but does not mean they have not screwed up. ...
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I do my level best to reduce my direct debit bills so that I owe the utility company money. When they phone up to tell to me increase the payments, I refuse, and tell them to reduce the payment instead, and if they don't like it, I'll switch. I end up being in the red, but it does at least give me a warm glow inside knowing that I'm doing my bit to stop the bastards making more money in interest.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16071
    room and kitchen....as they call them. (4 in a block flat) £66 per month
    tae be or not tae be
  • £32 per month gas. £65 per month leccy. 

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16071
    hootsmon said:
    room and kitchen....as they call them. (4 in a block flat) £66 per month

wait a mo....just checked....it's ninety two fuckin' quid for a room and fuckin' kitchen

*holds heart and sits back in chair*

tae be or not tae be
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    What I don't get is, now I understand you are all musicians and such, but seriously, how hard is it to send in a meter reading and work your bills out and do it all online.  Once you have been in a a place a year, you have it down.  Seems a lot of intelligent people with their heads completely in the sand.  You can work out your own direct debits to meet your annual cost once you have been their a year.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Not much. Less than £45 a month right now for both at a rough guess. I'm on prepayment, so could save more if I switch at some point. I did spend a tenner on a big fleecy blanket today, to save on heating. I resent spending money on gas.
    My V key is broken
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073
    edited November 2014
    Sambostar said:
    What I don't get is, now I understand you are all musicians and such, but seriously, how hard is it to send in a meter reading and work your bills out and do it all online.  Once you have been in a a place a year, you have it down.  Seems a lot of intelligent people with their heads completely in the sand.  You can work out your own direct debits to meet your annual cost once you have been their a year.
    Because the customer doesn't set the DD amount, the energy supplier does. 
  • jellyroll said:
    Sambostar said:
    Because the customer doesn't set the DD amount, the energy supplier does. 
    Not always, I can choose my own DD amount on the BG website, the site advises whether the amount you select will leave you in debt or credit by the end of the year but you have leeway to choose your own amount.

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    When I started they let me choose a random number.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4952
    £89 per month for both fuels in a 3-bed semi-detached, with GCH, double glazed and cavity wall insulation.  Just this month had a new combi boiler installed so I'm expecting it to drop compared to last year.  

Our Maud works for E.on so we don't really have a choice - that said, they're all much of a muchness...
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12457
    We got a Worcester Bosch combi boiler last year, excellent boiler, we put up with a really shitty one for 7 years year that was absolute crap, could barely fill a bath, the water pressure was terrible. Wasnt cheap at around £1200 but deffo worth it.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"