What Is The Longest Delay Time You Actually Use - Really

What's Hot
randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
So many faux analog digital delay pedals use delay times as a marketing offset for not actually being analog. I have several digital delays but also a DMM and a custom built analog delay that both top out at around 550ms.  For ages that always seemed like a hang up in my mind when comparing them to others.  In reality though I realise the other than slapback, most of my delay times live between around 360ms to (at a push) 550ms.  

It got me wondering whether anybody actually exploits the 2100ms etc. that a lot of units have?  What are your main delay times?
My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nope. 550ms is the longest I use...in fact, it's just about the only delay time I use.
    <space for hire>
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Occasionally yes I do; when I tap in half time, the delay time can quite often go up to around 700ms. Depends on the song really.
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited November 2014
    I probably have occasionally got up to around the 700, maybe even 800.  I can only really see a use for 2000ms in order to give me a 2 second head-start on the drummer in the race for the bog.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    I'd say most often 550ms-ish is as long as I go in regular use, though in the past I've done stuff where I play an entire phrase then play a counter melody over the repeat which required about 2.5 seconds.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I probably have occasionally got up to around the 700, maybe even 800.  I can only really see a use for 2000ms in order to give me a 2 second head-start on the drummer in the race for the bog.

Put superglue on his drum stool for a stroll to the bog.......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17681
    tFB Trader
    I remember reading in a thread on TGP someone saying a delay was useless because it only had 12 seconds of delay and anything less than 16 seconds was not worth having
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I remember reading in a thread on TGP someone saying a delay was useless because it only had 12 seconds of delay and anything less than 16 seconds was not worth having
    EHX employee perhaps?
  • I'm not sure I even break 500, though I rarely check what the readout says after I tap it.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30951
    600ms for Comfortably Numb solo. Generally 300ms- 440ms for most stuff.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

edited November 2014
    LOL.  And this was on TGP you say.....

Slightly OT but talking of bizarre statements about delays, last week I nearly bought a Providence Chrono on the spur.  After deciding not to (just yet) I was looking for some reviews and found this - 

It's a review that manages to contain these two statements - 

"The DLY-4 pulls off the considerable warmth of the classics, but also allows precise and easy control of delay times."

followed by - 

Buy if...
    you crave vintage sounds but need modern features.
    Skip if...you don’t mind imprecise delay times.

Read this review if you like imprecise information.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    600ms for Comfortably Numb solo. Generally 300ms- 440ms for most stuff.
    You still playing the Dub version?
    RHC- what's your view on the Chrono? I'm selling mine (as you predicted) but I will miss its simplcity and the echo hardness function.

THe Flight Time is a game changer though- it's huge sounding.

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    2000ms on full wet reverse ;) for the "Give it away" solo. You just have to be ahead of the band by two seconds as you go in and come out but it sounds amazing
    edited November 2014
    I like the Chrono but I do think it's overpriced when new and to some degree I think you may be paying for a couple of unnecessary features.  The one I nearly bought t'other day was used, belonging to a couple we were working with but he was looking to shift it on.

TBH what stopped me is I currently have 6 different delays, with three or four on my board and each does it's own thing that I haven't found any to better them specifically.  It's not to say "these are what I think are the best delays", just that these are the ones that do what I need.  I've tried so many others alongside and they just suit me.  Currently on my board is a DMM, Hughes & Kettner Replex, Boss RE-20 and an Echo Warrior (which is a prototype that has been gradually altered to my specs).

The great thing about the Chrono is internal parallel mixing- this makes a huge difference- the signals are split and remixed inside the pedal.

• Gassage said: The great thing about the Chrono is internal parallel mixing- this makes a huge difference- the signals are split and remixed inside the pedal.
    That's actually commonplace in the vast majority of new delays.  Hence why they like to write
    "TRUE ANALOG SIGNAL PATH" in big bold lettering and then "digital" somewhere in tiny wee writing on their packaging.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72675
    I think I used the maximum setting on the DD-2 at one time - 800mS.

More normally 420/430mS, which is about where a DM-2 gets to if you tinker with the clock trimmer.

The Boss digital delays have always used analogue dry signal, if it matters. In the DD-2/DD-3, the whole thing is analogue except for the actual delay itself, including the delay feedback and mix. As far as I know even the DD-7 is still analogue dry, although I would need to check.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I have two pedals setup, both with Tap temp and spill over, so for long held bends etc or slower passages I use times of ca 1000ms, for quicker bits I use 400-500 ms, with slightly less delay in the mix, I guess it's like a manual ducking but the shorter delay cleans the singnal some more.

Then of course you can also run both together :)
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Gassage said:
    600ms for Comfortably Numb solo. .
    *Mike tries to remember this for next time he tries to learn the CN solo....*

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• TinLipTinLip Frets: 368
    I once hit an A chord in 1980 and am still waiting for it to come back.